[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm dating someone from a different country, he's a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (314KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
314KB, 245x250px
I'm dating someone from a different country, he's a Brit and I'm Murican. He's a wonderful person but my parents don't approve of our relationship and in about a month he's visiting the US to see me. What do I do? I'm 19 but I still live over my parents roof and I'm still learning how to drive. I don't want to cause my Ma and Pa stress but I still wanna spend time with him.
>>
the only 'magic third option' im finding is to make the web of lies more tangled. claim you're going to be going on a trip with your friends that month and then just go stay at the hotel with him.

but you;re probably going to say
>that isnt an option

possibly even for valid reasons.

the only thing you really can do is decide whats more important and act on it.
>>
>>17488168
They are fully aware he is coming and I can't lie to them after everything they do for me, even if I wanted too I'm a terrible liar. Choosing is hard, he's the love of my life but I'd be nowhere without my parents.
>>
>>17488200

>i havent even met him
>but hes the love of my life

top kek OP. but lets boil this down:
>are your parents legitimately going to disown you, kick you out, or in some way seriously punish you for meeting with him? and if so, how?
>>
>>17488162
You're fucking 19; you're not going to marry anybody anytime soon. Dating for you right now is practically a game, and unless the Brit is on drugs your parents are being overprotective.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what happens. You're not a star-crossed lover; you're a dumb kid. Find another guy.
>>
>>17488162
Have him stay somewhere else. Get an airbnb and tell ur parents you're staying with him. They can't do shit if you're assertive and stands by your convictions. You ARE allowed to do what you want. Your parents can't impede your happiness.
>>
>>17488208
They would probably never let me out of their sight again. Yeah sorry that was somewhat overdramatic but we skype eachother frequently.
>>17488212
He's not on any drugs anon, but you don't have to be an asshole either.
>>17488217
He's already staying at an Airbnb, are you sure they can't do anything to legally prevent me from seeing him? And I'm not good at being assertive but I'll try. I just hope they take it well, I don't want to hurt their feelings.
>>
>>17488240
They cant. You are basically an adult and the authorities would not be able to stop an adult female from hanging out with an adult male. The worst they can do is kick you out after. Do you think they are spiteful enough to do that?
Try to stress the importance of you spending time with him and how much it means to you. Tell them they can meet him on the first day if they have doubts or even skype call with him beforehand. If they still wont work with you theres nothing you can do but keep the option for a meet open. Your parents are simply worried for your safety and you can do your best to make them feel okay with it. Ultimately its your decision and its not fair for them to control you with fear/anxiety.
>>
>>17488240

>they would probably never let me out of their sight again

in what sense? in the extreme literal sense? i wont claim to know your parents or your life, but do you think maybe the worst that will happen is they complain about it for a bit, tell you to go to your room, and life continues as normal?
>>
>>17488240

no they cannot legally prevent you, however they can kick you out it is their home and they have no obligation to take care of you.

but only you know how your parents would react.
>>
>>17488162

Honestly.... Try to understand it from their perspective.

If I had a teenage daughter and she told me she had a boyfriend who lived 4,000 miles away and she'd only ever known online, that was coming to town and who she wanted to meet because he was the love of her life.

I know i'd have
1.) Have MAJOR skepticism
2.) Be worried about what kind of potential creep this guy is
3.) Be thinking my daughter is being wildly dramatic and naive and opening herself up to potentially being taken advantage of.

And I say all this as someone who met a group of "online friends"/guild mates almost a decade ago when I was 17/18, and most of them were 30.

Now ask yourself, if you had a daughter who was in your positions, can you honestly say you wouldn't be worried too?

Show your parents that you're NOT being crazy. That you are a rational adult capable of capable of being self-aware and of understanding where they're coming from. Show them you can be rightfully careful and that they don't have to worry that you won't be.
>>
Wouldn't it make sense to invite him over to meet your parents, same as with any guy? They can get his info, phone number, whatever that makes them feel a bit less uneasy about you meeting a guy who's essentially a stranger.

Still I'm betting he won't even actually come over, especially since there are problems with your parents (well unless he's rich and coming from UK to 'murrica isn't a big deal to him). Find a boyfriend around your place. You're just romanticizing this guy because there's a lot of room for imagination and the factor of "loving despite all the difficulties".
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.