[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a sophomore in college majoring in biology hoping to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (48KB, 543x639px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 543x639px
I'm a sophomore in college majoring in biology hoping to be a marine biologist or work with animals in some way. But I've been thinking about switching my major to psychology, being a therapist or something similar also sounds appealing. What should I do? What are the pro/cons of each?
>>
>>17488117
pros
- . . .
- . . .
- I dont reall know

cons
- you will most likely be in league with people that think microagressions are an actual thing. You'll also learn that no one wants a damn shrink anymore. Most people just use coke
>>
>>17488117
Average salary of Biology major 10 years after graduating $120K

Average salary of Psychology 10 years after graduating $45K (less than non-college graduates).
>>
Be sure of it.

I am doing a major on something I barely like, and I will be stuck in it till I am finished.

In other words, if you will enjoy it, and you are sure of it, go ahead. Else you might fuck things up like I did.
>>
File: 1471699045512.jpg (122KB, 858x930px) Image search: [Google]
1471699045512.jpg
122KB, 858x930px
>>17488175
learn how averages can be used to skew examples in your favor using outliers
>>
>>17488186
learn how it doesnt matter becuase psychology is a shit field anyway
>>
>>17488195
I don't disagree
>>
>>17488117
Don't switch to psychology. If you want to make a living you'll need your Masters and thats if you're willing to live out in the boonies. If you want to live in a major city and actually make money you'll need a Ph.D. or a Psy.D. That means you're looking at 7 years of school on the low end, 10 on the high end, and there is a significant washout rate. How significant? We don't have the numbers but you're looking at probably 50% of people accepted into a graduate program actually earning a doctorate, and then a not insignificant number of those who do make it through a program not finding a post-doc or dropping out of the field.

More importantly, for-profit schools are churning out unqualified doctoral level practitioners at an alarming rate and you'll be competing with them throughout your early career, supervising them through your mid career, and cleaning up their mistakes until you retire.

This job isn't for everyone and the last thing you want to do is saddle yourself with 100 grand in debt only to find out you can't actually deal with your job being listening to the worst moments of people's lives over and over and over again.
>>
>>17488186
outliers are generally ignored or noted.
>>
File: 1471374469640.jpg (1MB, 7168x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1471374469640.jpg
1MB, 7168x4032px
>>17488232
Yes, because all statistics are ethically reported
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.