[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it better to major in something that you enjoy even if it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (80KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 960x960px
Is it better to major in something that you enjoy even if it's not the most practical major?

Or to major in something more general that can easily get you a job?
>>
>secure future but boring as shit/wanting to kys

or

>have fun at work but making as much as a mcdonalds worker/take 10 years to find a job

Up to you honestly.
>>
>>17486397
You'll enjoy what you understand and are good at.
The best approach takes a bit from both, something that jives with the way your mind work AND is practical and useful to the job market.
That is to say, a degree in English isn't worth much at all, going straight to trades would be a better investiment, but if that's the way you want to go, you could go with Philosophy, Philos don't get to do much philosophy on the job, but have an easier time getting management jobs.
>>
In my experience people hate things as soon as they have to do them for a living because the "doing something you enjoy" involves skipping the hard parts.

Go find the part of the job that sucks and determine if its worth what you get out of it. Examples of trade offs include:

Studying your ass off to know things people don't and get paid by what you know rather than what you do

Working on an "art" everyday whether you feel like it or not and submitting yourself to outside criticism so you can get better at it. This will allow you to do "writing/painting/music" instead of work everyday.
>>
It would probably be better just to do you hobby full time, and leave your university funding for when you want to stockpile cash.
>>
>>17486397

When I was in college, I had the same question.

I was told to follow what you like, and your passion will help you succeed.

So, I was entranced by an anthropology 101 class, and made it my major. I really loved it, and it was super interesting, but it has not helped me one bit in life. At least it was a good school and I had good grades.

If I had to do it again, I would go with something that has a possible utilitarian use, like a language, or at least something generally useful like English or business (still shit, but not garbage like pysch, philosophy, social science, etc)

STEM was never an option, as I am just not good at math, and never have been. I'm more of a reader/writer than number cruncher.

I had a host of shit jobs after college, the best being a retail cell phone store (40k and benefits).

I took a risk on a small company that was expanding, and the interview went well, but the 100k job I have now is literally from luck and connections (the owners daughter knew me, and put the interview together).
>>
File: 1743848.jpg (802KB, 1600x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1743848.jpg
802KB, 1600x1079px
>>17486397
>>17486408
>>17486428
>>17486840
>>17486920
>>17487267

I became a pilot. Best job ever,
>>
>>17486397
Do what you like, if you fail to find a job, your regrets will remain material. If you repress your wishes, you won't forgive yourself so easily, and transmit all of it to your kids and everyone will be sad around you forever
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.