[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /adv/. I'm currently stuck in a major I hate (economics).

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: 1450899143294.png (1MB, 914x684px) Image search: [Google]
1450899143294.png
1MB, 914x684px
Hi /adv/.

I'm currently stuck in a major I hate (economics). I've already wasted a year and am repeating my freshman year. I'm also a lazy, antisocial sperg and once I graduate, I'd like to either find a solitary, comfy job like night security, or work from home.

I figured that it would be best for me to learn CS/software engineering on my free time. Was I right in making that assumption?
The problem is that I don't know where to start. What resources should I use and what specific skills should I learn if I want to get marketable skills?
>>
Please respond
>>
File: 1468928017711.png (23KB, 243x260px) Image search: [Google]
1468928017711.png
23KB, 243x260px
>>17486102
If you want to work from home (i.e. freelance), then you are probably need to learn to code.

You'll need to learn HTML/CSS and probably Javascript, and you may actually make a living (These languages will land you a freelance job that you get to work from home, however I don't know about other languages, Java, Python, etc).

That's all I know, maybe some other anons know better.
>>
>>17487169
Web development is the way to go, then?

Yeah, working from home would be nice, but any solitary job would be fine really, I'm not picky. If I can manage to land some sort of sysadmin job without a degree (assuming I had the right skills, of course) that'd be pretty awesome as well.
>>
File: 1471794258958.gif (2MB, 360x264px)
1471794258958.gif
2MB, 360x264px
>>17487239
Sorry for late response, I was having a shower.

The skills you will need for this job (coding HTML/CSS whatever), will be used for creating/maintaining websites. You can learn those at sites that teach code, that are all over the internet, (Treehouse, Lynda.com are some that I have/a friend used), and are pretty efficient at getting you the basic skills you will need.

The problem is that you will definitely lack experience (you should start experimenting with personal projects), and you will need to learn some offshots of web design (design in general, and programs like Adobe Illustrator etc).

I don't want to discourage you, but you will have to invest a great deal of time, and some money in order to get the required skills, and then you will still lack work experience.

If you have any friends or someone that has experience on web design/illustration definitely use them to your advantage, they can offer you precious experience.

P.S. You may be better off starting in a web design company or something. Working for 2-3 months could give you an great edge over doing it all on your own.
>>
>>17487365
I understand. Thanks for your advice.

Then it'd be useless for me to learn about anything else than web development, right? Stuff like OSes and other programming languages wouldn't give me an edge at all in terms of job prospects and opportunities?
>>
File: 1456687804544.gif (2MB, 395x332px) Image search: [Google]
1456687804544.gif
2MB, 395x332px
>>17487370
I can tell for sure that web development/design can be a freelance business, which you can run on your own from the comfyness of your home. I really don't know shit about Linux kernel, Java, Python, Ruby and all those back-end languages.

These will probably require you working in a company and coorporating with others, etc.

They are not useless, to say the least, there are well paying jobs for such programmers, but you probably won't be able to work from home, as far as I am concerned.

P.S. You may need to also have some surface-level knowledge on such things, if I recall correctly.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.