[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, so I want to be a surgeon later on and I'm about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Coconuts_dad_sigh.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Coconuts_dad_sigh.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
Hey /adv/, so I want to be a surgeon later on and I'm about to start my first year of college in a week, but now I'm starting to have doubts and shit about choosing this career path. An example would be how I want to have a family later on in life, but becoming a surgeon wouldn't really let me be there for my family since I'd spend most of my time at the hospital. This makes me kind of want to switch careers to something like engineering so that I can get good money and at the same time I'd be there for my family, but I also don't want to do this since I've already told my parents a while ago about my career goal and they were proud of me, so I don't want to disappoint them too. Do you guys think that I still have what it takes to be a surgeon? Or should I switch to something else?
>>
Medicine and engineering are quite different things, there's no guarantee that you'll enjoy engineering just because you enjoy medicine. I say give medicine a go, even if it's for a year, and see whether you like it or not. You don't want to go through life wondering "what if?", do you? You don't have to be a surgeon with medicine, there are other areas you could go into which allow you to have a better work-life balance.
>>
>>17485806
Well first of all it's your life. Not your patrents'.
Second of all- medicine is fucked up. Not only do you have to fucking drag yourself through like 6 years of studies, then there's residency which (in most countries for surgery at least) is another 6 years when you are treated like shit and not learning anything, you are on your legs for 72 hours straight and so on and so forth.
The bottom line is- iif you don'tt have a strong sense that being a doctor is your "calling"- just drop it. Spoken from experience.
>>
>>17485812
The reason I said engineering is cause I'm ok with math, and I'd have a good paying job after college, but I get what you mean.
>You don't want to go through life wondering "what if?", do you?
God Damn you got me there anon. Thank you for the advice tho

>>17485846
Oh yea I know that it's my life, I just want to make them proud in the end.
>>
>>17485806
>I want to have a family later on in life
>get good money and at the same time I'd be there for my family
You wish. Professional degrees (medicine, engineering, law...) have their own special problems, but at the moment there are very few jobs all around that allow for a good work/life balance and pay well. And it's only going to get worse in the future.
Your dream is impossible.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.