[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a problem with my roommate, who has been my best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: darksenseofhumor.jpg (46KB, 480x443px) Image search: [Google]
darksenseofhumor.jpg
46KB, 480x443px
I've got a problem with my roommate, who has been my best friend through high school, we're now both 23.

Things were okay a year ago when he moved in, but naturally, we started to hang around the same people, and our group of friends now consists of basically all the same people.

My problem is that now that he has a girlfriend, he will go out of his way to insult me, or put me down, in front of our friends, his girlfriend, and our coworkers (we work at the same place...probably not the best move but it's where I am for now).

I find that I can't exactly defend myself without looking autismal and starting some stupid argument in front of everyone we know - an awkward situation for everyone involved.

I don't really know what to do. I've tried pulling away from the relationship, but he keeps inviting me to go do things with him and his girlfriend, just to make up lies and insult me in front of everyone.

Do I have any options? Am I being a pussy? I'm not exactly great at making friends, but this whole situation makes it pretty clear to me that I have to branch out and find a different group, because having my best friend from high school put me down constantly has been pretty damaging to my ego.
>>
Op this guy is supposed to be your best mate of what, 5, 6 years?

Fucking talk to him about it in private.

All relationships require communication, even friendships. If you say nothing about it then nothing will get solved. Just calmly present how you feel, give reasonable examples and if keeps being the way he is, find new friends.

I thought this was common sense?
>>
>>17484550
That's true.

I guess the problem that I have is that when I tell him about it, he denies that he does it at all.

In fact, he'll probably attempt to turn it around on me. Last time I tried to talk about it, he accused me of doing the same thing: "what you can dish it out, but can't take it?"

I honestly think he doesn't know that he does it. Or that he can't even stop if he wanted to.

Problem is, I can't simply remove him from my life. He's my roommate and we're on the same lease for the next year.
>>
Just ditch the loser.
I hate people like this. They seek approval from putting you down in front of other people because they have nothing interesting to say.

He's not much of a friend. Ditch the loser. Ditch the job. Ditch the house.

I hope you have some money saved up.
>>
>>17484571
This. Your roomie is acting like a total cunt. But I recommend you discuss it with him properly before ditching him. I had a friend almost like this before. He didn't dare to insult me directly, but he loved telling stories and secrets about me at parties and shit because he had nothing interesting going on in his own life. After a while I discussed it with him in private and told him I'd drop him if he didn't get his act together.

He actually changed and we're still friends to this day, almost a decade later.
>>
>>17484564

Figure out what really upsets him and bring it up in conversations offhandedly. I have a family member who constantly puts me down in front of friends and family, trying to embarrass me in front of my significant other for reasons I don't know.

All I have to do is bring up that he cheated on his wife and it either shuts him down or he storms off upset.
>>
>>17484571
I had a feeling that's what the issue was.

I thought I was just being a pussy because I expected some measure of respect from him, but it really does come down to low self-esteem on his part, doesn't it.

I do have money saved up, but not enough to warrant leaving yet. I also signed on for another year due to financial issues back in the Spring, but I intend on this being the last year I live with him.

I've been setting up pretty reasonable boundaries and making it clear I don't want to hang around him. He seems upset, and like he doesn't understand, but I don't think he ever will and frankly I don't really care.
>>
>>17484585
>>17484585
As much as I would love to do something like this, I don't want to put myself in the same position he's in.

I'm not the kind of person who will go out his way to insult someone or make someone mad. I'm not spiteful. I just need to get away. That's the only surefire way to solve the issue, I believe.
>>
>>17484597

Ask him to give some examples of what he means when he says "what you can dish it out, but can't take it?" Once you have a base for what offends him, then you can explain to him what offends you. If he's unwilling to give examples, then screw him. I tried talking to my family member about how they were treating me and they just kept repeating whatever I said in a mocking tone. They made no attempt to see it from my point of view, so I gave it back to them.
>>
>>17484584
Yeah this guy will insult me to my face, in front of everyone.

I generally just ignore it and move on, but god damn does someone straight up insulting you put a damper on an otherwise fun time with your friends.

I'm going to try to talk to him about it, but frankly I'm nervous that he'll simply change the subject or completely turn it around on me. He has an inability to admit that he's wrong under any circumstances, and probably won't even admit it to himself.
>>
>>17484538
Talk to him about him and make him understand that you don't like that attitude. If he says that you are doing the same then ask him what he doesn't like about your own attitude. Chances are, he is not the only one to blame in this situation (might be 50/50, 20/80 , whatever!). I learned the hard way that it doesn't take a lot to hurt someone when you don't even realize that you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>17484538
i mean how long has the insulting been? i wouldnt let it ruin your year long friendship. just ask him privately if he could stop putting you down. also maybe its cause he has nothing else to talk about?
>>
>>17484564
maybe he thinks you think its funny too? or maybe you stop insulting him too. if youve stopped and he still continues, maybe he just changed as a person. or maybe you were talking shit about him to someone else and he found out?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.