[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>27 >Currently a wageslave at a supermarket >2.5 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: money10c[1].jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
money10c[1].jpg
22KB, 460x276px
>27
>Currently a wageslave at a supermarket
>2.5 years experience as a wageslave
>2.2 Maths Degree from 2011 - I guess 3.00GPA is the american equivalent?
>No other experience
>Remember fuck all from uni
>No hobbies or a personality aside from vidya and telly
>London
>Things are starting to get tight

What are my options to a better career, in a small amount of time?

>inb4 suicide

I will soon enough, I've even marked some bridges to do it from, but not just yet.
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>17483709
get your math PHD, any job you want 300k starting salary
>>
>>17483714
Doesn't that require money? I still have my student loans.

Also my skills have deteriorated, a lot.
>>
>>17483714
>PHD

That's like another 3-4 years.
>>
>>17483746
Become a teacher in shitty elementary school.
Teaching a math to little faggots is a piece of cake
Also there will be chance that 17000 usd will be canceled due to of the shit of your elementary school
>>
>>17483767
That's still kind of long term, I was hoping to get some use out of my degree.
>>
>>17483776
Go teach abroad. Contracts are about a year long, if I remember correctly. That's something that will help you use your degree, see the world and perhaps get some perspective about what you want to do. Also, employers will be really impressed by it when you get back home. You'll have shown them you have courage, a sense of adventure, curiosity, leadership skills, worldliness, maturity, etc. All great talking points at any interview.
>>
>>17483779
By this, I mean in Asian countries, by the way. Teaching in America won't do shit for you. The kids here are fucking retarded.
>>
The quickest way to get some increase in pay is probably manager training at your supermarket, if you aren't already a manager. Otherwise ask people you know if they know of anything. It's going to be hard to just start another type of career if you didn't make any contacts in college.
>>
>>17483709
Look in to doing some management training mate. As long as you look confident and are reasonably good with people it's not a desperatley hard job. I'm a construction site manager (chippie for about twenty years prior to this). About 80% of my job consists of standing with a salesman-esque forced smile on my face and saying in the politest way possible variations of either "I don't care if it's possible or not, either you cunts get this finished by monday or you're all fired and I'll make sure you never work in Oxford again" or "I know you're waiting to move in, but it'll be nothing short of a miracle if we finish this in the right year let alone the right month - oh, and we're over budget again, so just pop another £250,000 on my desk on your way out, k?". I saw an advert outside Lidl the other day saying they were hiring managers for £50k a year, which whilst it's not a huge amount of money I wouldn't imagine running a supermarket is all that difficult, relatively speaking.

>Remember fuck all from uni
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I have an NVQ5, which is a degree level vocational qualification, and even the stuff I can remember from it isn't really relevant to my day to day work. All employers are really interested in is that you have a bit of paper that says "this bloke is probably not too incompetent". There's another bloke who works for this company who manages the sites in Bristol who got the job off the back of an academic degree, knows fuck all about actual hands on work and makes the same money as me inspite of being 15 years younger. Also he's a cunt and I hope he goes fucking blind, because I argued for months with my boss about having a Jag XK but he wouldn't pay for it as it was "not good for the company image", then 6 weeks after I got my XF the young lad got a fucking XK.
>>
>>17483709
>>London
That's your problem. Leave to the U.S before you get fucked in the ass by muhamed.
>>
>>17483783
Moving up at my store, would take a lot of arse-kissing and buying them coffee and doing managerial tasks while still being paid wageslave hours. Also it would be take at least 2 years cos they really like to get as much free/cheap labour out of you as possible.

>>17483781
>>17483779
>>17483767
Don't really feel up to teaching. (Also I'm a britfag, in case you didn't realise)
>>
>>17483709
Be a mechanic. Fix cars and motorcycles.
>>
>>17484010
This your new

>Learn carpentry

gimmick?
>>
get a licence for heavy goods vehicles.
>>
>>17484126
Should I just shove my degree up my arse?
Is it worth nothing? It's a STEM degree, it's to be useful for something.
>>
>>17483863
you're not part of a union?
>>
File: degree tiers.png (289KB, 1072x1036px) Image search: [Google]
degree tiers.png
289KB, 1072x1036px
>>17484138
>he fell for the STEM meme
b...but it says mathematics is god tier!!!
>>
>>17484139
I am, but they're completely worthless, as well our union rep is one of our managers which I thought is a conflict of interest.
>>
>>17483709
One of the big ways UK attitudes toward university degrees is superior to the US is that they care a lot less about what you studied than THAT you went to uni, studied something, and succeeded.

Look around you. Almost any white-collar career is open to you, starting at a junior level, just because you went to uni. Pick one.
>>
>>17484138
They don't just walk you into a job, you need to teach yourself the basics and then apply, or have internships (what did you do with every summer for the last 9 years?).

You can see which graduate schemes accept people who have been employed for 2+ years also.

You can apply for graduate jobs in general, if they want you to do a Masters in their field they will fund it.

You can do a PhD, if you're not getting paid then you didn't "pass" and you're essentially paying to be there.

Another alternative is to take on another business of your own.

How do you not know this stuff?
>>
>>17484203
>last 9 years

Alternating between wallowing in self-pity, videogames and telly.

>You can apply for graduate jobs in general

I thought they stop considering you a few years after graduating for graduate schemes.

>Another alternative is to take on another business of your own.

I have something in the pipeline but lack of funds from my £7.89 per hour job is kinda stiffling it.
>>
>>17484188
sounds like you should run for union rep and move things in the right direction then
>>
>>17483709
l o l

this post is an ironic summary of tertiary education in 2k16

should have done a trade famalam
>>
>>17484290

Kek, I have the attractive personality of a brick. Where my store is, a lot of office workers come to lunch and I noticed most of them are outgoing.
>>
More than I've done.
>>
I'm a lecturer at a mid ranking UK uni, although not in Maths.

A PhD is a bad idea: most good unis want a First, and even the not-so-great ones would probably want a II(I). Employment prospects for PhD holders outside of academia aren't great: you're overqualified for just about everything. We joke despairingly that Masters courses improve employability, whilst doctorates decrease it.

My first thought is that a II(II) is enough to go into teacher training, and the country is still very much short of maths teachers. That would be fulfilling and stable work, but it comes down to whether you could put up with kids day in, day out. I wouldn't be able to.

Obviously, there are fewer doors open with big companies' graduate schemes with a II(II) than with a II(I), but it isn't impossible. One option would be to consider industries that some might avoid. Gambling is an obvious one where competition might be thinner, although I just checked Betfair in Hammersmith, and they were asking for a II(I) or above.

If you wanted to look at something really long term, you could take the (long) road up through the accountancy qualifications... People with accountancy degrees get a head start in terms of exemptions from exams, but it certainly isn't unheard of for Maths graduates to go off to be chartered accountants.

Lastly, loads of graduates ignore Universities themselves as potential employers. We have armies of backroom staff doing everything from planning, finance, architecture, IT, marketing and general admin. All unis advertise almost all jobs on jobs.ac.uk. - and make for pleasant places to work.
>>
>>17484143
>tfw did comms
>tfw got a comfy stay at home job

you all fell for the meme and now you're paying for it
>>
>>17484513
>Don't Phd
Ok

>Teaching
Not for me.

>Smaller companies and other industries
I'll have to check that out.

>Accounting
Good idea but irks me slightly since I could've done it straight after secondary. I mean, I was part of the gifted and talented thing and the uni I went is pretty good in terms of ranking and recognised. But, you know, being a depressive loner with a videogame addiction meant I stayed mediocre.

>work at uni
Maybe.
>>
>>17484403
becoming a union leader doesn't necessarily require you to be sociable as such, it's more about being able to communicate your enthusiasm
>>
>>17483709
>>
>>17484893
Maybe but I'd rather not spend more time than I need to working at the supermarket.
>>
I've been a wage slave at a supermarket for the past 8 years. It doesn't get much better but at least I'm waiting for my parents to die so that I can kill myself guilt free. I already did a science degree. 25 btw.

Maybe you could transfer to another store for more hours or responsibilities. Do it before you give up on life like me.
>>
>>17486084
It would the same shit, different toilet. Plus the rate of pay is shit so more hours doesn't amount to much.

Besides, it's real hard for me to get to know other people so moving to another store would reset that.
>>
>>17486063
And what are you doing with your spare time that's so important, posting here?
>>
>>17486393
Resting, vidya, telly, jerking off then back to work. Spare time is kind of sparse.
>>
>>17486477
Oh and self-pitying inbetween those.
>>
How long would it take to go down the road of accounting and how fast is progression?
>>
>>17486382
How about doing a 1 year graduate diploma in statistics? You can work for the government.
>>
>>17488065
How much does it cost?
>>
>>17488898
In Australia graduate units cost about twice as much as undergraduate units. It depends on the uni you attend. Go to a face to face course (as opposed to online) because you get computer labs and tutorials as an opportunity to ask questions. Only do it if you're serious because graduate degrees are a lot of money.
>>
>>17489098
How much roughly in £££?
>>
>>17483709
>Supermarket
>London

Good luck with that I used to work in Sainsburys customer service and trying to phone through to the London, Birmingham, Manchester stores getting through to some incompetent mess was guaranteed.

Is your name Shaniqua?
>>
>>17489303
>Shaniqua

I'm a man(child).
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.