[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, need some advice I'm 21, nearly 22. I would consider

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hey guys, need some advice
I'm 21, nearly 22. I would consider myself a workaholic, I have been working since I was 16, and got my first full-time job when I was 18 and have been working 8-6 ever since. I work extra shifts on the weekends for double time etc. To me, any free time is time i'm not working/earning money. I recently hung out with a good group of friends from high school and have had the sudden realisation that I am wasting the good years of my life. They seem to have a lot of fun and enjoying, 'living life' as most people put it. This feeling has been with me for the past week or so. I feel like I worried way too much about my career and it's long term path and I feel a bit annoyed.

Have any of you been in the same boat? If so, was it just temporary? How did you resolve it? I hate this feeling and need to get rid of it.

Thanks all
>>
I was a workaholic for a long time. Spent 4 years with a company, never took a vacation, didn't take my breaks, worked as much overtime as possible, etc.

Work was my whole life, until I got fired for some silly stuff. Now I'm in my late twenties and starting over at an entry-level job, and have forsaken most of the relationships in my life for a conpany that let me go like nothing anyway.

My advice would be to never forget that you work to pay bills, and that you life is what you do in your free time.
>>
In the matter of fact major part of 4chan users are NEETs or borderline studying NEETs. Because of that I fear you will find little advice from actual experience (there are some very hard working people here, or so they say, they just seem to be in minority). Most NEETs not only waste they best years, they don't even earn money nor work on their careers. They just wallow in the depression and self hatred, so you are atleast better than them.

But back to you, I would say that you are very responsible individual but there is certainly something a bit screwed with the way you feel about things. Am I correct in assuming that you feel akward and not very good if you have actual time to relax? It would be sign of workaholism. As that I would say that it is to be dealt with. You should strive to work for goals and causes, not just becose some inner-programming-instinct tell you so.

Do you work on your career? Are you constantly moving upwards? If yes, that's great. if you don't actually work on your career, you might end in very bad situation, in which your friends would end better than you in the end thanks to bullshit education and connections.

Will come later, gonna go now.
>>
you guys are like your own species
>>
>>17483160
Thanks for your words dude. I guess I would have to agree with you to some extent. I don't feel awkward when I'm relaxing at home, but I definitely feel as though I could be doing something better with my time. Not that there is anything wrong with watching TV and having a beer. I do hang out every now and then with colleagues on a Friday after work, but not as reguarly as many would.

When I first started working, it was a level 1 Helpdesk role, I moved up into Level 2 a year and a half later. I'm currently talking to my boss about moving into the Network admin role as they now have a vacancy which is what I was ultimately planning for. I know what you mean about the whole 'connections' thing, which is bullshit to be honest. I've seen too many people get catapulted up the ladder because their Father/Mother is the M.D or some Executive, only to talk to them and realise they are in over their head.
>>
>>17483157
That really sucks man, although I haven't been put in that position yet I can really understand where you are coming from. My Father uses this term of 'You work to live and you live to work' frequently. For some people work is all they do and It's frustrating that some businesses treat their employees as just numbers and not as humans with lives or ambitions. :/
Thanks for your 2 cents, I appreciate it
>>
>>17483161
Hahah maybe it is better to be different sometimes? :)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.