[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, after almost 3 years of smoking pot, I've been weed-free

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

So, after almost 3 years of smoking pot, I've been weed-free for the last two weeks. I quit because I was afraid of the time slipping away, realizing that I have almost no memories of the past few years beyond moving into my stoner cave, and to curb the terrible anxiety I was getting about everything (I turned down two job opportunities during this time simply because I was too anxious about interviews). I also couldn't shake the existential funk I was slipping into (I'm 26).

Since I quit, I've been feeling pretty apathetic and depressed, with small bumps of feeling normal, but no real motivation or drive to do anything. I just go to work, come home, and go to bed. Then on the weekends I just browse 4chan idly. If friends want to do something, I do it, but I rarely enjoy it.

So I'm asking--does anyone else with experience get where I'm coming from? Does it get easier, or have I permanently damaged my brain? I'm trying to do 90 days, but sometimes I just feel so... gray.
>>
>>17480832

The way you are feeling has nothing to do with drugs. You had escapism and now you don't, that's the only difference.

Cut out the internet and you will feel even more empty.

Going back to weed isn't the solution.
>>
>>17480832

you need to do some thrill seeking

even just watch a horror movie that will get you legit scared

trust me depression leaves real quick when you're afraid, and after the episode ends you tend not to be depressed because all the energy was spent staving off your terror

also try physical exercise, you're probably living a sedentary life
>>
>>17480843

I never said I was going to go back to weed, I just want to know if this is normal.

>>17480845

I do need to get back to the gym.
>>
>>17480843
This. I went through the exact same thing as you (im 25). i had to quit weed, but was completely bored and depressed when I wasn't baked all day. You have to find some purpose in your life, some goal you can work towards and take steps to reach it. I started drawing and painting again and taking it really seriously and learning as much about it as I could. I signed up to a local art organization, started meeting people and made some really good friends through it. I have a goal of trying to get my stuff into a local gallery In the next couple years, and feel better than ever.
>>
>>17480832
How can I get weed without connections?
>>
>>17480832
Yeah the depression is normal. I quit every year for lent and it usually takes me a few weeks to feel like I can be inspired or excited by anything. And I'm not a heavy smoker, so it may take longer in your case.

Your brain is used to a lot of stimulation from an exogenous chemical and so it has to recalibrate to be sensitive to the smaller signals from your own neurotransmitters.

I know the "time slipping away" feeling and it's one of the biggest motivators for me to quit forever. I do best when I smoke weed in moderation (like a couple times a month), because it's kind of nice to take a mental vacation and think in weird ways, but the problem is I eventually slip out of my ability to use it moderately and start smoking every day. You'll be feeling better, though. You may find that you're unhappy with your life still but you will be motivated to change it at least.
>>
>>17480832
I smoked daily for 3-4 years from age 24 and I get exactly where you are coming from OP, feeling like life is just slipping past while you sit around stoned.

I quit just over a year ago and haven't looked back, the first month will be a bit of a struggle emotionally and you might feel pretty depressed but just hold strong and go outside and get some sunlight or do things that you like doing but never could because you were high.
The good news is after that first month or so you will start feeling better and will start feeling more social, if you were a shut in stoner it will take some adjustment and a little bit of work to build up the social skills again but it does get better.
>>
>>17480917
Almost impossible. By post it is risky, because packages are now almost always X-rayed.
>>
>>17480832
How did you quit OP?
I've managed to quit speed 6-7 months ago and tried several times to quit weed, but the longest time I was clean was 1 month.
>>
>>17480906

Funny, after I quit I decided it was time to put some serious commitment into my art (never really thought I was good enough before, but really I just didn't want to practice) and that's why I'm hoping this motivation will improve.

>>17480996

That's good to know. The time slippage is probably my biggest motivator. I remember memories from every year up until I started smoking, at which point I just have the barest blips on my mental radar. I moved out of my stoner apartment and realized how much time had slipped away.

>>17481086

I've been doing cold turkey. I have a small calendar on my desk and each day I don't smoke I put an "X" on that day. I've been offered it once by a buddy from work and I declined. Haven't seen my regular stoner buddies (my former roommates) and that's the peer pressure that's going to really test me.

The only thing that really stops me from relapsing is knowing I'd have to start all over from scratch, and that'd be another two weeks I'd have to repeat. Doesn't sit well with the whole "time slipping away" thing.
>>
>>17481059

Yes, exactly. That's very good to know.

It's also hard because of so many people I know who smoke. I'm thankful that I was able to reconnect with a few friends who don't smoke, so I have some company, but the majority of people I know from work/school were my smoke pals. I guess it's hard to find motivation when you see so many people able to function just fine while high.
>>
nah man there aint' nothing wrong with weed

it's ur life thats messed up. fix that and youll find joy in smoking again, trust me.
>>
>>17481314
Yeah that was the case for me as well, I ended up ditching most of my smoking friends because when i quit I didn't want to get lured back in.. I felt kind of bad but i knew it was best for me and to be honest any good friends you have through smoking will respect that you quit and hang out with you sober.
I am remarkably happier with my life since I quit, I look healthier, I go out more and I am doing better at work.
Good luck, I hope you get past this spot of depression/anxiety and improve your life!
>>
>>17480832

>>17480843
Like this anon said, it's the fact that you had a form of escapism/cheap vacation with weed and now you don't, and that's where the emptiness came from.

I was a total stoner, smoking usually 2 or 3 times a day from the age of 18 to 23. Just a few months ago it was like a flip switched in my mind and I just didn't feel the need to keep buying weed and smoking every night. I don't think this is typical, but it really seemed like an overnight change and I really don't know what triggered it.

Having said that, I'll still smoke at concerts and festivals and with my friends (who are all still heavy weed smokers) but it kind of stopped being a part of my private life.

There are nights when I'm not ready to go to sleep but I don't know what else to do when the urge to smoke will REALLY creep up on me and I realize it's simply the mix of boredom, habit, and escapism that makes smoking so appealing. I've given in a couple times and picked up like a .5 just to have for a night but nothing beyond that.

You'll be alright dude. Your brain isn't damaged and you'll get out of this. Like somebody else said, some kind of physical activity or getting to the gym regularly will help. You'll get to sleep easier and you won't feel as physically or mentally restless as you do now.
>>
Who would of thought that life without weed is boring and mundane and that day-to-day life is a lot shittier without sweet sweet weeed?
>>
>>17481740
a manchild with no passions or inhibitions
>>
>>17481614

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's nice to hear success stories! I'm going to try to keep it all in perspective over the next little while.

>>17481704

I suppose that's true. I do notice that when I'm bored, the urge to smoke comes on. I also get an urge when I'm picturing my night on the way home from work... like it would just improve everything. I try to remember how it is when I'm high in those instances, which is usually 5 minutes of fun followed by anxiety and existential angst.

>>17481740

I wish I could be one of those people who smokes weed once in a while, but each time I take a break I end up slowly sliding into every day (if not multiple times a day) smoking.
>>
>>17481807
Re: not being able to smoke in moderation.

There's a pretty extensive study out that basically supports a hypothesis that drug addiction/abuse occurs when users are in a boring, depressed environment. "Poverty of environment" I believe is the phrase.

I think that it's possible to enjoy weed in moderation but if your life is boring or shitty (and let's face it if you're young and not accomplished or rich enough to be up to much exciting, it probably is a lot of the time) it's really easy to use as a crutch for a good time. The drug itself will reinforce this behavior in someone with an understimulating environment.

I look forward to smoking weed as a successful middle aged man, but in the meantime I know that I am too goddamn frustrated with my life to give in to the temptation of escapism, whether it's through drugs or alcohol or gaming or even 4chan. Anything can destroy you if you aren't good at being present.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.