[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it rude to ask my gf not to ramble in Gaelic around her family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: gandalf-the-wizard.jpg (25KB, 300x401px) Image search: [Google]
gandalf-the-wizard.jpg
25KB, 300x401px
Is it rude to ask my gf not to ramble in Gaelic around her family & friends, leaving me to stand around like an idiot?

I don't like it, it's uncomfortable
>>
It's perfectly normal, only a stupid and rude fucks use language that not all the people around them can understand
>>
while the first anon is correct, i would begin learning gaelic. cool as fuck.
>>
>>17476003
When they start doing so make a joke about it. Once one of them says something look them dead in the eyes and say "I completely agree" everyone will laugh and unless they are rude as fuck they will change to speaking English.
>>
I think it is rude to ask her not to speak Gaelic at all. That would make the interaction with her family and friends suddenly more formal (assuming Gaelic is her first language) and new. Also, she's your girlfriend, if you sincerely think that she's talking shit about you saying anything you don't understand, you shouldn't be dating.

What is perfectly normal is to ask not to be left out. And it is rude of your girlfriend to not keep an eye on whether the level of Gaelic isn't so high that you're not following the conversation for prolonged time or cannot participate.
>>
>>17476003
>Is it rude to ask my gf not to ramble in Gaelic around her family & friends, leaving me to stand around like an idiot?
Yes, but there's a way around the rudeness: ask her to teach you Gaelic.

This is not intended as a "no, YOU move" thing. No one ever questions when someone learning a language doesn't yet understand something, nor do they question when a language learner asks for a translation. As long as you're in that position, you have some license to do these things that might otherwise be considered stupid or rude. And if you end up gittin gud at Gaelic, then you won't have to stand around like an idiot anyway.

Also, she'll love you for it.
>>
>>17476122
I second this. It's what I did in Portugal. Worked urrytime.
>>
>>17476113
>>17476167
I think you're seriously underestimating how much effort and time goes into speaking a language fluently enough to have a high paced conversation with natives. This isn't a thing you do in half a year.
>>
>>17476003
Whereabouts are they from exactly? And Gaelic Irish or Scottish?

It's very rare for people to be speaking what is effectively a dead tongue. Unless they're living in a Gaelteacht.

All this being said, OP could just be lying.
>>
>>17476178
Girlfriends are supposed to be longterm but whatever
>>
>>17476233
I didn't try to suggest that they won't be together for longer than that, just that it's not a short term solution and that it's a huge investment of time and energy to learn a language that will not give you any concrete benefits. It's useless on your CV, unlike plenty of other languages, and very few people speak (I'm assuming Irish) Gaelic. It is also a complicated language where a huge part of the struggle is learning how to hear words correctly because the spelling is so intricate.
>>
>>17476003
You could politely ask her to try to talk to you a little more on the side while speaking with her family.
>>
>>17476003
Nah Gaelic is fucking fire. You're wrong op
>>
>>17476175
Repete lá isso.
>>
>>17476178
I'm not underestimating anything. Of course it will take a long time.

OP's problem is that his girlfriend is speaking to the people around her in a language he doesn't understand. Learning the language provides a long-term solution, in that he will become able to understand the language, but just as you say, that is a very long-term solution indeed. But it also provides a short-term solution: the ability to ask what the people around him are saying without seeming rude or stupid.
>>
your gfs potato family think youre a bitch and you have to prove yourself. heres a few traditional celtic feats and strength you can do to prove your worth as a man and your knowledge of their culture. after you pass they be more open to accepting and will allow in on their conversations and river dancing and such. now on to the challenges!

feat 1
>potato juggling
its just like regular juggling, but with potatos. all regular rules and metrics of judging a quality juggle apply with no real differences other than you use a potato. does it seem odd that these people prefer you to use potatos instead of any other random and more interesting objects? of fucking course it does, but theyre potatos so what do you expect. anyways, on towards the objective. you need to be able to juggle 2 potatos for 3 tosses total.

next challenge
>the hot potato endurance hold of death
first you wrap the potato in tin foil, place the potato in a gas over at 120 F for 2 min. grab the potato and hold it for 2 sec. congratulations, you are now a man with a firm grip and superb grasp on life its self. hands this rugged are fit for all of the fix it up diy jobs life can throw at you

the last and final challenge
>the potato balancing act of perfect harmonious symmetry of unison of man and potato.

first you will need to find yourself the most perfect potato with the most symmetrical proportions as possible. you will also need a potato peeler. shave the potato until it is a perfect egg shave. you will need this to be able to balance it competently. once youve crafted the potato it its perfect life bring form, you can begin the challenge. with the potato in hand, tilt your head back, bring the potato towards your face. you will need to have the large side of the egg shaped potato towards closest to your face. draw the potato in towards you face and open your mouth. place the potato in your mouth and bite. attempt to keep the potato from falling away from your face as long as possible. 1/2
>>
>>17476666
2/2

you will need to balance the potato as such for a total of 2 sec to prove that you can become one with the potato.

should you be man enough accept AND pass all these challenges, congratulations you have become accepted by the potato people and you can now participate in fun and lively celtic activities such as wearing skirts and blowing in plaid ball sacks. and fucking your ginger gj. good luck and have fun op
>>
>>17476669
>>17476666
Kek. I am not Celtic, but Dutch and eat potatoes literally everyday in various forms. Even have potatoes growing in my backyard so can relate to this.

Also nice quads.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.