[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys. I am Chinese-American and recently I moved to Hong Kong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hi guys. I am Chinese-American and recently I moved to Hong Kong. I was born and raised in Cali. Even though I can speak Chinese fluently without an accent, but I consider myself American.

Now that I am in Hong Kong, I've noticed how Asian locals here treat white people differently compared to how Asian Americans treat white people in the states. Locals here seem to think of white/half-white expats (and even the English language) as a bit superior. This probably has something to do with Hong Kong's colonial history. In the meantime, I get the impression that they see me as a "Chinese person who grew up overseas".

Should I just go with the flow and try to fit into the local Asian community? And how to treat Anglo/white expats in Hong Kong? In the same way as everyone does in the west or like the way locals treat them?
>>
>>17475940
Well they are your people, culturally/racially. Do what you can. Ultimately it depends on how well of a fit you feel it is. If you try and find that you just don't relate to others in your local community, or otherwise feel as though you don't belong, then at least you'll have learned more about yourself.

As for how to treat whites- depends on the person.

Speaking as a white person, I'd rather not be treated differently based on the color of my skin, but some people get ego trips over it. In South Africa, a lot of whites tend to be arrogant due to historic/cultural issues, but I can't speak for Anglos/Germanic people living in HK.
>>
>>17475940
This is the transnational/expat thing: you just can't fit anymore in the culture because you tend to take the best out of the two. I'd say go with the flow, uf people hang out with you it means they appreciate you, right ?
There are people who are going to remind you of these points, but if this is not your reality they will adjust... Not you
>>
>>17475984
Well I consider myself culturally American.
I didn't know that about South Africans.
>>
Just be yourself
>>
>>17475940
As a white dude who lived in China for a while, I would prefer not to be treated as superior or inferior, but would like my difference taken into account. I would also prefer to be recognised as a Westerner who will look at things differently, but not as someone stuck within my culture to the point of being incapable of seeing things any other way, or as a zoo animal. The zoo animal/curiosity thing was kind of annoying.
>>
>>17475940
>and try to fit into the local Asian community?

Fit in wherever you want. Make your own rules for yourself.

If you have lived in the US most of your life you will probably feel more at home with westerners. But you should do whatever is comfortable or interesting.
>>
>>17475940
It's more than just colonialism, it's the power of western media, which I guess you could say is a form of colonialism.

You just do what you would do without regard for what your peers think. You're an expat, and that gives you a unique perspective. Don't let anyone tell you how to act or think.

And how the hell were you able to find a place in HK? Or do you live in one of those closet-sized apartments.
>>
>>17475984
>Speaking as a white person, I'd rather not be treated differently based on the color of my skin
Some of you need a taste of your own medicine though.
>>
>>17476637
It's propoganda. A good way to defeat a people is to create self doubt among them, aka kill their own self esteem. Britain and US basically destroyed the asian self esteem, they think of themselves as an inferior race now.

The only people who this shit does not work on is like Russians, Uzbeks and the eastern people. And surprisingly, those people may have barbaric customs and what not, they have very low rate of depressions etc and they still keep up in terms of self pride. They also do well in the states.
>>
>>17476651

Once you gain a higher level of conscienceness you will start to notice this shit in people. Alot of asians tend to look defeated even in good clothing, mannerisms etc, they have no pride. Mongols were a great empire and probably one of the most effective to date, but now Asians have become a bunch of fucking cucks.

Love yourself and love others. Most whites have alot of asian alleles in them. Russians are practically asians with light skin, mid easterners are asians with turk mixed in.
>>
As a white guy in SZ who heads to HK every second weekend, I haven't found I got better treatment for the color of my skin in HK (aside from in Yuen Long when I busted out a few words in Chinese). Definitely in the mainland I get the treatment but it's very superficial - I'm more of an object or a status symbol than a person. In one sense it is a "grass is always greener" situation where being able to integrate with the locals is now preferable (once the novelty of being white wore off).

If I met you in HK, I'd prefer to treat you me as normal. In fact, I'd be more concerned that you'd think less of me - like I'm washed up white trash.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.