[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 25 and next year I'll be in university for Physics.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: math pepe.png (318KB, 447x380px) Image search: [Google]
math pepe.png
318KB, 447x380px
I'm 25 and next year I'll be in university for Physics. I've been studying quite a bit and I thoroughly enjoy this pursuit.

But, I've been a total fucking loser until now. I've never held a job for longer than 3 days, never accomplished anything and no discernible skills. My biggest anxiety is competing versus other fucks that have some sort of portfolio of skills, work experience and completed projects to show just how much talent and competence they have compared to normies.

Am I going to have any chance in hell in getting some sort of internship while I'm in school? Am I doomed to just being some generic faggot with a gay degree and no work experience or projects just because I've only recently stopped being a fuck up?
>>
You're fine. You'll soon realize that 25 is still young for college.
>>
File: bart is fucked up.png (96KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
bart is fucked up.png
96KB, 320x240px
>>
>>17473697
Is it really? Won't the compete with people much younger for every internship, scholarship and job prospects be massive?
>>
I'm turning 25 in november and I'm in exactly the same situation.

In addition, I had my first girlfriend last year and lost my virginity to her but we only spent about 4 weeks together total, now i've tasted what its like to be close to another human being i've started to feel truly lonely and now i'm worried that i won't find anybody at university considerig I can't identify with most 18 year olds anymore.

I'm at a loss, its one of the best schools in the country and I desperately want to put my hard working ethic to use, but as each month passes I'm becoming more and more desperate for somebody to share my life with.
>>
>>17473847
Can I ask why you guys only lasted 4 weeks?
>>
>>17473855

I was staying in the united states but I am from the UK, she's a US citizen and I had to go back home to obtain a student visa to enroll at a commnuity college several states away from her as I was living with some US friends I have (older than me, 27 and 31, a couple).

It was a short lived relatonship, I was basically desperate to experience what having a girlfriend was like and she was emotionally vunerable, I have no experience with relationships and have been brought up by a single parent household so no alarm bells went off in my head it wasnt going to last.

I didn't know anything about women and i really had no idea how to handle her emotional issues at the time so i became depressed and frustrated with myself and broke up with her shortly after I left back for the UK.

We still talk, she's got a boyfriend who shes living with right now and she seems to be happy.
>>
>tfw 22 and hating I now hate what I study
>it's political science so it's also a useless degree
>kinda want to quit and work and maybe give University another try in the future
>can't help but feel it like a suicide move
I really hope>>17473697 is right cause I'm scared as fuck of losing the possibility to study for good
>>
>>17473869
What kind of emotional issues did she have? Were they really that hard to solve? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just curious.
>>
>>17473880

She has with issues of OCD plus anxiety and shortly after we broke up there was a suicide in her family.
>>
>>17473880

Also, I wouldn't say there were there to be solved, but I was discovering who I was myself and completely lacked the skills to console and support other people.

Its true when people say you have to be able to love/cope with your own emotions before you try to love/help others.
>>
>>17473693
>My biggest anxiety is competing versus other fucks that have some sort of portfolio of skills, work experience and completed projects to show just how much talent and competence they have compared to normies.
>Am I going to have any chance in hell in getting some sort of internship while I'm in school?

Hello OP, physics isn't too different than any other major. There will be stellar students and average students and shit students. Most stellar students aren't going to come in stellar, they'll get there via hard work during their program.

Of course you'll have a chance at an internship! Here's a quick list on how to be an awesome physics student who does whatever they want on graduating: 1. Do well in classes (fairly obvious). By do well I mean get As, Bs are fine sometimes but you should be getting As. 2. Get involved in research early! Don't feel intimidated like you don't know enough or whatever. A good professor will find something for your level. It's as simple as emailing whoever (doesn't even have to be your professor) and telling them you're interested. 3. Do some physics related extra curricular. Tutoring is fine, joining a group that does monthly events to spread science to the general public, whatever. 4. By now you have a really competitive application for internships! I recommend looking in to REU. Apply to at least 10 and you will probably get at least one, if not more.
>>
>>17473869
>I had to go back home to obtain a student visa to enroll at a commnuity college
Europoor here, I always wanted to study in the States but I heard it's pretty much impossible without good money and/or some connections. How much of that is true?
>>
>>17473906

So, I can make it within the confines of University. Anything outside of University is a bonus, but if I am excellent on campus, I have a shot?

If that's true, that alleviates a lot of anxiety. I was worried that yet-again my past would inhibit my ability to perform in the present.
>>
>>17473909

I never initially intended to study in the US, I was there for a long holiday with some friends who I knew from the internet and they offered me the opportunity to rent the room i was staying in if i found a means to survive there.

Becoming a student was the only option, and I was paying my way through some inheritance I had saved up from a deceased grandpatent, eventually I realised that i couldn't get legal work and there is no funding aid or scholarships available for non US citizens, and the whole system requires you to be rich or highly skilled to get a work visa.

Its why I'm starting university now in my home country, because I can get funding here.
>>
>>17473926
Actually, if you did all of the things on my list, it wouldn't just be "you have a shot" you'd actually be in the upper tier of physics students. There would be no reason for you not to be successful at that point.
>>
>>17473890
>>17473894
Couldn't you pretend to help her cope with her feelings? i mean I know that's a shitty way to help someone emotionally, but it's better than nothing right? Not faulting you for not succeeding, I haven't been in your shoes since I've never get emotionally attached to anyone.. But I thought pretending was the way to go through life.
>>
>>17473949

Okay.

I have a history of depression/anxiety, so thinking about all of this raised my anxiety levels because I was worried I wouldn't make it.

I will keep what you said in mind to remind myself that I don't need to have my own personal lab and scientific papers to seem "qualified" for an undergrad internship.

Thank you for responding to me.
>>
>>17473968

Britfag who is going to be in your situation too.

Anxiety has to be overcome, just like the troubles of studying in university.

You're just as capable of overcoming your anxiey by practicitng at it as you are doing well in your studies, everything comes together if you set your heart on it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.