[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting college soon as a commuter because i'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

I'm starting college soon as a commuter because i'll be earning around $4k per semester doing so, and I can't get all of the stigma about "commuters being lonely and missing out" out of my head. Any advice for a commuter? Should I get a nearby apartment during junior/senior year?
>>
>>17469669
You'll miss out on the study groups.
Don't worry about the social life, but the study groups are important.
How long will your commute be, and how restrictive are the timetables?
If you can stay until 7-8pm, and have 1h of commute, you could make it.
Again, don't sweat the social life, it's easy to crash someone's couch once every month or so to go out on the weekend, just bribe them with alcohol.
>>
Do you have friends or acquaintances from high school? If so are they commuting to local schools, too?
What about siblings?

Also, as a fact if life, it's going to be harder to have a social life whether you commute to college or not. As an adult, youre going to have to force yourself to bridge the ties you want. You can't be passive and expect it to come. The first two weeks of college are your only real opportunity, so do all the legwork now and you won't have to worry about it later. Don't think "I'm above all this" for what would normally be stupid interactions. Actually try to conversate with everyone with the intention of you being best buds forty years down the line and eventually it'll stick. Make sure to stay on campus for as much of the day as possible until those two weeks are up
>>
I'm at a uni where the majority of us commute. I can't say my social life has ever suffered because of it.

>Any advice for a commuter?
Take advantage of it. Get readings or homework done so you have more free time when you get home. That's assuming you're commuting by public transport, that is.

>Should I get a nearby apartment during junior/senior year?
No, don't move out unless you absolutely have to. You're basically throwing away your money otherwise.
>>
>>17469681
Yea, my commute is exactly an hour away.
My parents don't care how long I'm out, as long as I come home alive and have a general idea of where i am (school,gym,etc.).
Thanks for the advice bro.
>>
>>17469684
Yea, I've got some HS friends, but ive lost contact with them since summer.
I've been very social in the past and i'm hoping using the approach you mentioned will allow me to atleast make some dorm friends i can crash with if needed
>>
>>17469691
Car or public transport?
Is it really 1h, or it goes up to 2 under heavy traffic or train problems?
What time does the last ride leave?

If it's really 1h, with well managed public transport, you'll do fine.
>>
>>17469704
Car, i'd never do public transport lel.
My car is a black 2015 Toyota Corolla S, so its not a piece of junk. And in heavy traffic, it might be 1hr and 30 minutes.
>>
>>17469697
Hit those fuckers up, I've rekindled many friendships that were long thought lost. Not all of them take but friends are a rare commodity in adulthood, so take what you can get
>>
File: 02-soldier-saluting-fsl.jpg (99KB, 544x408px) Image search: [Google]
02-soldier-saluting-fsl.jpg
99KB, 544x408px
>>17469711
I copy, will do tomorrow. Thanks bro!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.