[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people get a little touchy when you ask them for recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: youdontsay2.png (285KB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
youdontsay2.png
285KB, 3072x2048px
Why do people get a little touchy when you ask them for recommendations on a particular subject of media?

As in, if you want to get into a specific genre(s) of music, books, comics, etc. or certain directors of movies, tv shows, plays, etc. Why do some people, usually those who engulf themselves in said genres, directors, mediums, become touchy and reluctant when you ask them for recommendations to start out with or where to look?

Often, the conversations go like:
>Man, I really want to get into <XYZ>.
>Oh man, I love <XYZ + what they like about it>!
>Ah, do you have any recommendations?
>Aw, gee, well, I don't know... ._.

And they just grow quiet and wary. And it's mostly women that do this (or so I've noticed).

I don't understand this behaviour. It keeps coming off like a big "fuck you!" for not already knowing about something you want to know more about.
>>
>>17469265
Maybe they're insecure about the extent of their knowledge of the subject. If they give bad/embarrassing recommendations, they'll look stupid. And the art you like is often tied up with your personal identity; people might not like to expose their inner life to someone they don't know that we'll. Maybe I'm just talking shit, I dunno.
>>
>>17469265
Making recommendations can be tough because unless you're dealing with a really open person, or someone who's got really similar tastes, people don't really like the stuff you recommend, simply because they don't "get" it like you do. Where DO you start? With what's most digestible? With what's most typifying? And how do you figure out what is most digestible or typifying of that genre/artist/director? It's not like a show, movie, or book series, where you can say "go in chronological order."
>>
>>17469265
>>Aw, gee, well, I don't know... ._.

> People ask me what anime they should watch
> Give them the most normie shit I can
>>
>>17469265
They dont actually know, but they've already pretended to be knowledgable. They dont expect you to ask and call them out on their bullshit.

In the end though, theyre just making mimdless conversation.
>>
Usually if I do this irl it's because I either am not confidently versed in the subject or I'm afraid of revealing my power levels or ending up an unlikable ass who actually doesn't try understand the person's tastes over pushing obscurities.

A very specific incident happened last week when a friend organizing a weekly movie night disney marathon asked for suggestions and I might have pushed my recommendations a little hard while criticizing some of her own choices. Unfortunately she decided to give me a chance by putting my suggestions in chronological order, and the oldest movie I'd mentioned was The Three Caballeros. Catchy title song, but goddamn did I forget how boring that movie was. She immediately cut my suggestions of Melody Time and Make Mine Music from the next night.
>>
>Mostly women

They do it for the attention I guess. Maybe not.
>>
Well using a irl example, i'm a metalhead and I really enjoy the music that I listen to, perhaps to an unhealthy degree. my little brother asks me on an increasingly often basis which bands he should listen to and whether I like them or not. I hesitate to give him recommendations because I don't want him to have my music taste, I want to him to have his own, to get out there and see what music makes him tick. It really feels like he's trying to impress me or something, which is bad because i'm not exactly the pinnacle of society.

that's just my take on it OP
>>
]>>17469392
Yes. I find it extremely hard to talk about, say, my taste in music, and it's mostly because of overthinking and generally being reluctant to open up to others (which is actually fear of being judged I guess). Now when someone asks for a recommendation, they're basically asking for one of the best pieces of said artist/director/whatever - this puts a lot of pressure even on people less guarded than me I assume, because they'd neither like to disappoint you with a suggestion you don't like nor "misrepresent" one of their favorite artists nor give a suggestion that, in hindsight, they find doesn't actually reflect their taste (...as an extension of their self-image, to exaggerate somewhat) in a way they desire.
>>
>>17469450

Pretty observant, anon.

Yes, they don't really like X, but they are trying to be nice and fit in, so they say they do. When you go and essentially ask them a specific question about it, they have no fucking idea and feel as if they've been caught in a lie.

Person Who Is Faking it

>hey do you like Pink Floyd?
>yeah I loooooooove Floyd!
>well do you have a particular album?
>you know they're all so good everyone has their favorite and you could just give one or another a shot hey look at that porsche!

Someone Telling the Truth

>hey do you like Pink Floyd?
>sure do
>well do you have a particular album?
>studio, bootleg live. . .?
>uh studio I guess
>well it would have to be Meddle. Now you can also watch the movie at the same time. That was back when artists could perform live in Pompeii and. . ..
>uh, thanks, Foyd Freak
>yeah no problem

Normal Person

>hey, do you like Pink Floyd?
>some sure. What about you?
>I don't know. Do you have a suggestion?
>Yeah, but I probably have different tastes. What other bands do you like?
>Well, Death Metal Maidens is great.
>You know, Pink Floyd might not be the best for you. But it might help when you're working/studying.
>oh, ok.

Liar, autist, normie. Agree? Interested if anyone else has seen this.
>>
Self-consciousness that they don't actually know that much and/or will give you pleb suggestions. Disagree that they are likely bluffing if they actually go into what they enjoy about it, I think it's just being embarrassed of their taste and the extent of their knowledge.

They showed their enthusiasm, but once you approach them as an expert they get flustered and shy because they don't consider themselves that at all.
>>
>>17469265
Women do this because they don't actually like what they say they like to any meaningful degree to give an opinion on it. They probably saw or heard 2 things in the whole genre ever.
>>
>>17470596

Be careful though. I had a girl claim to like games. Now she was older so I kind of believed her, so I asked her which ones.

>which platform?

Oh shit! She had more vidya than I had and certainly more hours playing. That's the exception though but it does happen.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.