[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/ I'm turning 25 soon and I really want to quit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: rqefeffref.jpg (126KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
rqefeffref.jpg
126KB, 1000x750px
Hey /adv/

I'm turning 25 soon and I really want to quit my job.

I don't have many skills (the job is basic office work, but pays quite well) which makes me hesitant to just take time out.

Any advice or experience on the subject?

I feel a great deal of pressure to be "successful" financially or in a socially-validated way, partly because my father and older brother (who I don't have a relationship, and who dislike me) are both quite rich and I would feel extremely pathetic working minimum wage or "travelling" or something knowing they would pity me for doing that at my age. I feel I need to prove myself to them (and men like them), but I also know I will never succeed in the enthronements in which they flourish (offices etc). For the last two and half years I have never skipped a day at work, worked long hours and have been pretty depressed and self-loathing the entire time. Bu now I'm almost 25 which is the point when youth is practically over, and I have nothing to show for it. I really do feel pathetic.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
>>
Do what I did, just walk outside and grab an ice cream from DQ. Being jobless for any time feels good. Just don't become a hobo
>>
>>17467725
Just quit. If your hearts not in it, it's not going to work.

I hate to say it, but sometimes we need a reset. I was in car sales for a few years. I decided to quit my job and go back to school. I quit, and the day after, I applied at a bunch of minimum wage restaurant jobs. I worked at a jersey mikes, a pizza hut, and a mediterranean restaurant... all at the same time.

When you've been in a real career and you decide to hop back down the ladder a few steps, you realize how different it is this time around.

People, like the owners for instance, notice your ability to conduct yourself... they notice you're not some tweaked out high schooler that's just doing it so he can save up for a car. They notice your clothes, your professional mannerisms etc. And in them, you make connections.

I worked for about 3 months moving up and up and up. I'd look for jobs everyday and if I spoke to the manager and it paid a 25cents extra an hour, I took it, and quit the previous job.

By the end of the 3 months, I was working as a GM at a papa johns (not kidding). I have since moved on to better prospects, but the reason I'm telling you all of this, is that I don't believe for one second that anyone should feel backed into a corner when it comes to jobs/careers.

Once you leave... you'll find that if you put just a little bit of effort into finding something, anything... you'll get the ball rolling. And once it's rolling, you'll be hopping all over the place like a fuckin kangaroo, until everyone in town knows your name.
>>
>>17467762
>>17467787
Do you feel there's an age limit on working low-status jobs though?

I don't ask this because I look down on people working those jobs, but because I have never really felt "young" in the sense of feeling free to enjoy myself or anything. I've always felt burdened by the need to succeed and prove myself to others, which has made me a rather pathetic fellow. I just don't want to trap myself in minimum wage work and realize how good I had it before.
>>
>>17467865
Of course not.

In my example, I did all of this when I was 28. It was an odd age, because I looked young enough that the younger highschoolers and such would tell me things they wouldn't tell the owners or management, yet, I was old and mature enough to be a more valuable asset than just some flake-out teenager.

The thing about a minimum wage job is, there is only one direction you can go, and that is up. You can't get trapped in minimum wage jobs, and the people that claim they do, are doing something wrong.
>>
>>17467879
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Did you have friends during this period of your life? What are you doing now?
>>
>>17467933
Now I'm a truck driver. Its not much money, but I like it.

I have always had friends, I guess the way any guy does. They aren't much support though, just more or less people I can shoot the shit with and have a few beers and grill out with
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.