[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All my life I wanted to become a professional musician. I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (1MB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1MB, 1425x1425px
All my life I wanted to become a professional musician. I have written songs, and work hard to improve my musical skills. The only problem is, is that I'm too scared to perform. I always feel like the music I make isn't good enough. Like every other musician is better than me, and that I'm just a scrub. I've never ever even showed my songs to anyone, especially not my family and friends. Because I think they will just say it's good, even if it's pure shit.

Has anyone else had this problem? I see other musicians performing, and building up stage experience. While I'm just too scared to do so...

Thanks in advance!

Pic sorta related
>>
I'm a musician too. I performed for my high school, and a couple of short sets with a band as well. I record alone now. I get anxiety but you just have to man up and do it. Singing is freeing. Record some stuff, put it on soundcloud, get validation from that.
>>
Cut the crap man, get a degree or learn a trade like the rest of us. This hippie musician life style doesn't pay the fucking bills.
>>
>>17464266
I am working on getting a degree in music. Music is one of the few things that makes me happy. I want to do everything I can to make a living with music. Until that time I work as a bartender. Because I have to pay for music school.
>>
>>17464266

I would disagree. Put enough time into your hobbies and they make money. Sell your plasma. If you can live it, why wouldn't you?
>>
I wanted to become a musician but now I have the technical skills and the theoretical knowledge I don't care anymore. I want to make ambient but the software makes me agitated within 5 minutes of trying
>>
>>17464266
No, Op be is gonna be somebody someday like Travis Tritt. Do not give up Op, but do not sell your soul either!
>>
Here's my advice as someone who is a terrible musician but has had a lot of fun playing live.

First, stage fright is much more manageable if you've got someone else up there with you. If you don't want to be a "band" at least get someone to accompany you. If you are in school it should be easy to find someone. You're in it together, when you mess up you can look at the other person and empathize with each other and it's much easier than being alone up there.

Second, book something. Make a commitment to play. Right away, first thing. You will get ready if you're definitely going to play. But you will not play if you're just getting ready all the time. You'll never feel ready enough to book a show. So you have to book it first. A deadline is amazing for getting things done.

Third, keep expectations low. It's not that people are going to boo you. It's that nobody's going to even be there. They will be talking, drinking, not paying attention to you. It feels kind of crappy but really it's sort of freeing. You get better, more people start paying attention.

Last, put on a show. Don't fall for some kind of purist "IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC, MAN" kind of thing. That's bullshit. If people want music they can listen to Spotify. It's a show, it's theater. Get dressed up. Come up with some kind of performance ideas. It doesn't have to be super elaborate. My friend used to play a little Casio keyboard 'flute' sound for a solo on one song and he held it to his lips like it was an actual flute, and it brought the house down. This stuff will also help with the stage fright--it gives you something to do with your body when you feel self-conscious about being on stage.

DO IT ANON IT'S SO FUN.
>>
>>17464158
Post your stuff on Youtube or some similar site. You're relatively anonymous and therefore can't be embarrassed, and you might get positive feedback that boosts your confidence.
>>
>>17464328
Thanks for the advice man. I'm not in music school yet. So finding someone to play with until then will be hard. But it does sound better with someone else on stage.
>>
>>17464266
>This hippie musician life style
If he studies classical music he can hardly be called a hippie.
But to have a decent job you need to start very very early in your life, or be very very good. Some orchestras hire beginners, but the salary is low and is hardly to make a living out of it.
>>
Put your work on youtube

OR

Go somewhere relatively public in your town or city with a hat on and sunglasses, and just start performing. Like how the people in the subways of NYC do it. You'll gauge how good you are if people stop to listen, and you might even be able to make some money If you leave a tip jar infront of you as you perform.
>>
>>17464348

It can even be just a friend who can play one-finger keyboard or hit a drum or something. Doesn't need to be a really skilled partner. Ask around! Someone might be down.
>>
>>17464356
I don't study classical music. I do play a lot of jazz.
>>17464358
I did this one with my saxophone, it went great. Though I personally want to sing and play guitar.
>>17464373
I just moved to Portugal. Barely know any people here.
>>
>>17464378

That's OK, good way to meet people. It's worth a try. If you can't find anyone, you're no worse off than when you started. And when you go to music school you'll be able to for sure. But in the meantime, it's worth trying. Ask around at music stores or put up flyers or whatever it is the kids do these days.
>>
theres a group on fb called jam of the week". you should join! people just post their improvisations over some jazz standard, and it's all in sll a great community. it might help you become more relaxed about your music and realise that everyone just wants to have a good time playing or listening. there's really nothing more to it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.