[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/ So this is gonna be a really odd scenario question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1470995840341-b.png (2MB, 1113x693px) Image search: [Google]
1470995840341-b.png
2MB, 1113x693px
Hey /adv/

So this is gonna be a really odd scenario question but I wanna know what you guys think.

Basically I met someone in the game industry
and talked to them for a bit after an event for about 15 minutes. I told him about how I admire his work and how its inspiring how he was just a fan and worked his way up.

Regardless

We talked and he asked for my name a couple times, like he actually wanted to know, shook my hand and all that. As we were wrapping up I said hopefully our paths will cross again and he said he knows they will (in a genuine tone, not like laughing and shit), and we parted ways.

I don't know if he meant any of that or was genuinely interested, I kind of doubt it but who knows. I've come to the conclusion though that he has really inspired me and I want to try to find out how I could work for that company.

Anyways, I want to get in contact with him and I have the means to do it, but I don't know if I should, I have nothing to bring to the table and I don't want to come off as CAN I HAVE A JOB HUR, or HOW I WORK THERE. But I feel that if enough time passes he won't remember our encounter and I'll just be a blur in his memory.

It's all a very odd and specific scenario, but I'm at a loss on what to do here. I respect the guy and the last thing I want to do is come off as some fucking leech.

What do you guys think

Pic unrelated

Update friends

So he hasn't accepted my request, but he has posted on Facebook through his account, but he also hasn't read my message

Should I wait a little bit longer before losing hope?
>>
What experience do you have related to that company's work? How big is the company? When did you meet this person (how many days ago)?

Also that pic, holy lol
>>
>>17461781
>>17461781
>What experience do you have related to that company's work?

As in knowledge about the company or?

How big is the company?

Huge.

When did you meet this person (how many days ago)?

July 23rd
>>
>>17461821
Er, 21st
>>
I actually work in the game industry, I think I can give you a little bit of perspective.

Everyone wants to work in the industry, but it's very skill driven and demanding.

I *rarely* make referrals or recommendations unless I know that person is a professional and maybe that I've worked with them in the past. The game industry is demanding, and referring someone who might potentially suck DICK will leave a mark on you. You won't get fired, but you just might get snubbed if you need to refer more people later on.

I legit have great friends, and I would never ever give some of them recommendations because I know that either couldn't handle it, or that they would make me look bad. In fact, I've blocked some friends who applied at the company because I know they are utterly unprofessional.

With all that said...can you guess how I feel about recommending strangers? I wouldn't fucking do it and neither would anyone else with a head.

I'd make an exception for something like testing, because it's the best place to learn and grow if you have potential.
>>
>>17461841
I just want to be pointed in the right direction to work towards it

Honestly I really do believe I won't ever be happy with any job unless I work there. If he even gave me just a sentence of what i could do i would follow that religiously

Id be a fucking coffee jockey or some shit , just anything that would get me in the environment. I know I can do it, but I just don't want to say the wrong thing or do something stupid because he can seriously make or break if I ever work there or in any division if the company.
>>
>>17461869

Just go to the company website, check for job openings and apply as a tester.

Literally that simple.
>>
>>17461875
>>17461875
I'm not trying to weasel my way into anything, but if you're in the industry i would like to just talk a bit, I don't wanna say anymore details on the company on this board because I'm not willing to risk anything.

Would you be willing to talk through email or steam or something?

And also, I can tell you right now there's no testing jobs for the company in the country.
>>
>>17461890

I'm willing to answer to answer a few questions right now but I'm not interested in being a pen pal or steam buddy, just shoot them and ill answer the best way i can
>>
>>17461894
>>17461894
Alright fuck it then, I'll just come out right and say it all because no point in hiding it, you're the closest person ill get that can answer so might as well

Basically the person I met was Aaron webber, I met him at the 25th anniversary sonic party after the show. We talked for a bit and all that.

Of course im interested in the sonic division but it really wouldn't matter what I was placed into as long as it was at the company. Right now the only openings in the entire country are bachelor degree specific jobs, no testing or anything like that.

So what the fuck do I do
>>
>>17461904

Aaron Webber is a social media guy from what I can tell, he cannot help you...he has literally nothing to do with game development.

All companies have and need testers, they just don't really advertise it because it's such a basic task.

Even if they don't show openings you send them a letter of intent and interest regardless.

Just make a CV and apply, hell call them and let them know you want to be a tester and that you think you have the skills to do it.

One of the most important things to applying for a job is visibility, currently you are a ghost and nobody knows you exist.

If you make a phonecall, send an email, and check in regularly with them they will be 100 times more interested in you than someone who does a drive-by email and never contacts them again.
>>
>>17461919
Aaron was someone I was interested in because he was a fan and worked his way into the company and such, so I figured he would be able to point me in the right direction

But you're right.

Should I send them a physical letter and a copy of my resume perhaps?

That seems pretty formal right?
>>
>>17461934

Phonecall, physical letter and email gives you the most visibility, so yes.
>>
>>17461949
Do you think they would still be interested even if I didn't live in the state?

I would be willing to move if that's what it took

Also I have no education. I know that doesn't look good but ya know...
>>
>>17461952

>Do you think they would still be interested even if I didn't live in the state?

It would be a issue, but just dont make it front and center. Just mention it in the interview if necessary but omit if possible

>Also I have no education. I know that doesn't look good but ya know...

you need to be able to read and write, so it shouldnt be a big deal
>>
>>17461974
>>17461974
Anon be real with me

Do you actually work for video games

Im going to do what you said. But I just wanna know
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.