[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't have any way to get away from my controlling parent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1444892708988.gif (870KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1444892708988.gif
870KB, 320x240px
I don't have any way to get away from my controlling parent without becoming homeless. She constantly complains about my inability to drive, get a job, cook, etc, and then actively stops me and threatens to throw me out when she notices me doing these things. I don't have family to fall back on.

What do I do?
>>
>>17459009
>I don't have any way to get away from my controlling parent without becoming homeless.
Yes you do. You get a job and move out.

But hey, you're going to give excuses as to why you can't regardless of what we tell you
>>
>>17459009
>>17459009
Maybe learn to drive, get a job, learn to cook ie, be a functioning adult?? How old are you and where is your father?
>>
>>17459014
It's not that simple if they're dealing with a narcissistic parent. It's about control, and the more OP rebels, the more difficult the narc parent will make their life.

>>17459009
Take any important documents you can find (SS Card, Birth Certificate, etc.), clothes, and any money you have. Then find a homeless shelter. They should be able to help you find the resources you need to get a job and go to school.
>>
>>17459009

you do have options. namely becoming some gay houseboy.

point is that there are options out there and they're weird but they are options. never say you dont have a choice. you do. you just went with the easier one: staying wiht your parents.
>>
>>17459009
Given the way this thread is going, and the lack of understanding going on here, I recommend you post on the 'raisedbynarcissists' support group. Your average 4channer isn't going to know how to deal with, or understand, the type of crazy that you're going through.
>>
>>17459021
I'm 19.
>>17459014
I'd like to know how to do this.
>>
>>17459037
The lack of sympathy here is not unreasonable. Given how skewed people are when they tell their stories here, it's really not unreasonable to assume OP is exaggerating what's going on. And besides, there's no reason he shouldn't be pulling his weight - if he's over 18, these are things he should be doing anyway, it's pretty telling if his mother has to nag him about it.
>>
>>17459039
>I'd like to know how to do this.
>apply for a job
>find a place to live
>move out
>>
>>17459044
>The lack of sympathy here is not unreasonable. Given how skewed people are when they tell their stories here, it's really not unreasonable to assume OP is exaggerating what's going on.
I get that. But I can tell from what he's posted here that he's dealing with a narcissist. They're abusive and need control at all times.

>And besides, there's no reason he shouldn't be pulling his weight - if he's over 18, these are things he should be doing anyway, it's pretty telling if his mother has to nag him about it.
Again, it's about control. If OP tries to better himself, the NParent will go out of their way to sabotage plans and keep OP from getting out. Most children in that situation don't understand that there's something wrong until they're about OP's age, and then when it comes to getting away from the abuse, they have no idea how to be an adult.
>>
>>17459009
Get a WoW-wife and convince move in with her. Worked for me and my wife of 8 years.
>>
There's two ways to deal with a parent who needs to have that much control over your life.

1. Do as >>17459025 suggested, get the documents you need and any cash you can get your hands on, and go to the nearest homeless shelter. From there, you can slowly build up the rest, starting with a job (probably min wage to start), then some transportation, moving up to the big things of a place of your own, etc.

2. This is the harder option: Tell your parent they cannot keep treating you like this. Don't give in when they order you around or belittle you. Live your life as you see fit without taking their B.S. or allowing them to see you feeling upset about the things they say.

This is the more difficult option because it will cause your parent to get worse at first. My father in law lived with us for a while, and he treated my husband in much this same way. I ended up being the one to put my foot down about the controlling behaviour, and after about 5 years, the guy finally started backing off. Now (we're still living with him until the end of the month), it's limited to passive aggressive jabs and nasty notes when he does something stupid or controlling again, but he quit threatening to throw us out about three years ago. Mostly because I called him on it, and he backed down, admitting that it was a bluff.

This is also the riskier option, on the off chance that she's not bluffing, but the end decision is up to you. Do look up the other resources people have posted, because the more you see from others who've dealt with this, the more you'll realize that it's not a hopeless situation.
>>
>>17459064
Did you actually just diagnose OP's mother as having pathological narcissism from literally two sentences about her?
>>
>>17459115
If what he says is true, yes. Those are certainly signs that his mother is somewhere on the spectrum or may have a similar mental illness that causes these control issues. It's a common type of post you'd see on a support group for children raised by the mentally unwell.
>>
>>17459115
This is /adv/ pro psychology in action mate. Who needs weeks of $200 an hour sessions.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.