[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHY are you required to have health insurance in the United States?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (151KB, 640x480px)
image.jpg
151KB, 640x480px
WHY are you required to have health insurance in the United States? How did the government get away with it? Every source I click on just explains THAT you need health insurance, not WHY.

It's outright disgusting and dystopian.

Is this normal in other countries too?
>>
>>17456008
Yeah, but they don't charge you for it. If you are low income though you can just get medicaid which will be either free or really cheap depending on your income.
>>
Because merricans would cry if their taxes went up to pay for national healthcare.
>>
>>17456011
I don't believe in medicine or surgery though, I'm perfectly comfortable with suicide in the event of being horribly injured. Why should I have to go through the paperwork and phone calls (worse than the price honestly) for services I would refuse?
>>
>>17456020
> I will just kill myself
Yea I don't think when this actually happens you will still think the same way.

I got a genetic desease and I need meds that cost about €50k a year, I'm pretty happy that I live in the eu and I don't have to pay everything.
I still think sort of the same way tho, I'm getting mad because people with genetic deseases are still getting kids and docters even told me that I should reproduce.
Like why do we even teach evolution theory if you don't do anything with it. We could get rid of so many problems if everyone with a genetic error would just not get kids.

Luckilly genetic engineering will be a thing soon.
>>
>>17456020
I just had to fill out a stupid online form. Takes maybe 15-30 minutes. Yeah, it sucks but it is way better than paying a tax penalty because you were uninsured.
>>
because it decreases the gap between the rich and poor
>>
>>17456034
I haven't committed suicide because it's illegal and I also have some debts to pay off
>>
Because eventually everyone gets sick/injured, which means eventually all the people who don't have insurance end up in the ER, costing tons and tons of money, and are unable to pay.
Same with car insurance. You can't drive if you don't get it, because eventually everyone will get in a wreck, their fault or not, and SOMEONE has to pay for it. You can't get blood from a stone.
So if you don't get health insurance, they take your tax return, or part of it in order to help pay for all the other poor peoples, so that when you inevitably end up in the ER for some preventable condition that has finally gone out of control, it doesn't hit the economy so hard.

Btw, I am aware it is a devastatingly flawed system, but such is our fucking political climate.
>>
>>17456020
Because you live in a society, where a number of things are collectivized.
If not for the collective services, cities wouldn't last 2 days.
Think about a city with no firefighters, no waste managment, no police, no hospitals - it's a favela, not a city.
>>
Insurance companies control politicians.
>>
>>17456008
Because if you show up in a hospital parking lot with a leg missing, then doctors are required, by law, to treat you and bill you later. This is reasonable because people in the ER aren't in the best state of mind to give their insurance info and policies.

But, this means that asshole with no insurance will get treatment then take the full $20k bill and have to get government assitance which costs taxpayers money.

It's a very flawed system with no better alternative, the way things stand.
Not /adv/ in the slightest though.
>>
>dystopian

Hah, as a Eurofag this is hilarious. Guess what, you live in a society along with other people, it is in everyone's best benefit to create a community in which the huge costs of medical practice are spread in a reasonable way. And you have some individual influence opting for or out of specific insurances.

You think some paperwork is dystopian, but letting kids from poor families die off because they cannot personally afford treatment is fine?
>>
>>17456008
More importantly, why are you required to have car insurance?

There's no low-income government alternative for it, either. It's just an entire industry propped up by legal mandate.
>>
>>17457302
You're not required to in NH.

Sucks living in MA so close to the NH line. Get fucking NH retards all the time with no car insurance crashing into people with car insurance
>hey man what's your insurance info so you can fucking pay for this
>tee-hee! live free or die! no car insurance here buckaroo!
fucking scallywag faggots
>>
>>17456034
CRISPR CAS9 my friend. We are already working on engineered embryos.
>>
>>17456008
You are NOT required to have insurance in the USA, and millions don't. But medical care is VERY expensive in the USA, so it is very wise to have it if you can. Many have it through their jobs. The whole point of Obama care was to force insurance companies to offer it to individuals as well.

The reason you don't need it in other countries is that every other country in the developed world has "free" medical care paid for by taxes. You could say that those countries DO force you to have insurance, since you have to pay the taxes that pay for the free care.
>>
>>17457293
I'm saying that there should be an option to not have health insurance and not have to pay fines for not having it. The government is obligating people to pay for a service that they might not even want to have.
>>
>>17457280
I'm looking into getting a living will tattooed onto my chest so that that won't happen
>>
>>17458127
If you do that then your next step will be looking into getting employed.
>>
>>17457293
I'm not saying that out system isn't bad, but what a lot of people tend to forget is the absolutely insane obesity crisis we have in this country. That makes it a lot more complicated than "give some taxes to help poor kids not die on the streets". It becomes more like "give a lot of taxes to pay for all of the completely preventable and self-inflicted health problems of the overweight obese." Like putting a very expensive bandaid on a festering wound.
>>
>>17457365
New Hampshirites are fucking inbred
>>
>>17456034
I feel you mate... I've a shitty medical history, and I feel pretty worthless in terms of reproduction, and I'm also a short fucking guy on top of that.
>>
File: 1373232076764.jpg (25KB, 376x421px)
1373232076764.jpg
25KB, 376x421px
>>17456008

>It's outright disgusting and dystopian.

Its cheaper than using tax dollars to pay for the millions of lower class people who get sick and can't afford to pay for it.

Look at it like this; health insurance and pharmaceutical companies are doing financially great, the U.S. government is not. We basically shifted the financial burden more onto large corporations and less on the American people.

Regardless of whether or not medical insurance is mandatory your tax dollars WILL pay for it, either way. Medical debt is a widespread phenomenon isolated to the United States.

I don't care if the government amputates my feet and replaces them with live raccoons; if its cheaper I'm all for it.
>>
>>17456008
It's not constitutional, it is normal in other countries but they don't have the framework that's suppose to prevent it like in the US. It passed because the US supreme court is stacked with corrupt people.

>>17458403
You don't know what you're talking about. The illegals who would be the ones to get away with abusing this system still get away with it.
And everything else you said was either retarded or wrong.
>>
>>17456008

It's unconstitutional. Government forcing you to buy something.

The real reason is, they ran out of money for Medicaid & Medicare, and rather increase the taxes on that / how much they take out of your check for social security, they do it this way, so they dont need to provide Medicare because "now you have health insurance :^)" even though it costs more, is shitty, and isn't a choice.
So far all my friends have just put down that they have coverage even if they don't. It's literally just putting a "1" in a box and hoping no one at the gub'mint bothers looking. (Hint, if they do, it'll be years later)
>>
File: 1374036033087.jpg (52KB, 517x397px) Image search: [Google]
1374036033087.jpg
52KB, 517x397px
>>17458451

>The illegals who would be the ones to get away with abusing this system still get away with it.

>And everything else you said was either retarded or wrong.

The average american has around 1800 dollars in unpaid medical debt. The middle class is shrinking, the lower class is getting poorer.

643,000 bankruptcies are filed every year because of medical debt.

In 2012, U.S. hospitals provided $45.9 billion in uncompensated care, representing 6.1 percent of annual hospital expenses.

At the same time, health insurance companies are growing. UnitedHealth Group, the largest insurance company in America is worth 130.5 billion.

So, while you're entitled to believe what everything I was saying is retarded or wrong, the rest of the thinking world is going to stick with facts and statistics. Statistics prove I'm right but if you want to stick with your "illegals are ruining the country U.S.A. rah rah rah" nonsensical bullshit that has no basis in fact you can go right ahead.

Facts prove that medical debt is an epidemic in the united states, even with medical insurance. Illegal immigrants account for about 10.7 billion dollars a year in unpaid medical debt, which seems insignificant when aligned with the fact that the U.S. spends 54% of all of our discretionary spending on military, (nearly 600 billion dollars).

But we're not going to talk about that are we? Just going to keep harping on about immigration and terrorism and calling people retarded for knowing more facts than you.
>>
>>17456015
So don't create, or pretend to create national health care?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.