[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend is moving tomorrow, she will live a few hours away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (269KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
269KB, 750x1334px
My girlfriend is moving tomorrow, she will live a few hours away for a couple years. I have a '99 Jeep XJ which gets horrible gas milage, that I simply couldn't afford to drive on long trips often. My other vehicle is a Corvette which has been straight pipped and is not suited for long highway cruises.

To afford a newer fuel efficient car I would have to trade in my Corvette, which I absolutely do not want to but feel I have to in order to visit my girlfriend often. How do I get over the thrill and sentiment of this car in order to be more practical? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>17455723
Is the Corvette not suited for long highway cruises just because of the straight pipe or because it also gets bad gas mileage and/or is uncomfortable because of the sporty suspension, etc?
If the first is true, I'd think about buying a stock exhaust system (or atleast one that's quieter than the straight pipe)

Also, do you have your Jeep because you actually need to go offroad regularly? And what shape is it in?
If it's not too beaten up and you don't really need it, you could trade in your Jeep instead and get some cheap used economy car while keeping your Corvette

Can you maybe reach the place your gf is moving to with public transport (bus, train, etc)? And if yes, how much would that cost you? (I'm from europe and not familiar with the american public transport infrastructure and pricing)
>>
>>17455723
This isn't about your girlfriend. This is a point in your life where you realize you need to make an important decision:
Do I continue to be a piece of shit, or do I be an adult?
>>
>>17456412
The Corvette is bearable for highway cruises in terms of suspension and ride, fuel economy isn't the best but is better than the Jeep. In terms of the commute I would be taking, the Corvette wouldn't not be my first choice.

The Jeep is needed for snow, although I do not go off-road I do need it for the occasionally snow days. It is in great condition, but the handling and fuel economy is not suited for the trip.

A train would be possible, but the place to board and the closest station to her would make it more of a hassle to repeat often.
>>
Why don't you just move in with her?
>>
>>17456460
That would be ideal. Unfortunately I have ties to a job which will keep me from moving for at least a year or two, but she need to move to continue her education.
>>
>>17456422
>Having an attachment to a prized possession makes you a piece of shit.
Hello, VW representative.
>>
>>17456455
>I need it for the snow
You could get a 4wd economy car aka Subaru
>>
>>17455723
Threads like this always amaze me. I don't know if it's because American cars are badly designed, or because everyone in the US drives cars that are several decades old, but the fuel consumption always seems astronomical.

I drive a Jag XF. It's a /big/ car, to the point that I have trouble parking it sometimes as ir won't fit in to a lot of regular sized spaces. I've got the 3.0 V6 turbodiesel variant, which puts out 300ps (about 299 bhp), so the driving experience is similar to srrapping your entire living room to a missile. If I use the paddle shift and drive it like it's stolen, the mpg will drop as low as 28. If I set the gearbox for performance and drive with a heavy foot it'll do 38-40mpg, but if I set it for economy and drive carefully I can get a spit over 50mpg. Some of the smaller engined models from the new range (called the XE - presumably the guy in marketing went to work with a hangover that day) can apparently pass 60mpg. Again, we're talking about a very fast car that weighs almost two tons here.

The thought of owning a car that does 16 mpg makes me break out in a cold sweat. I honestly can't understand the point of driving a car that's so expensive to run that you can't afford to drive it. It defeats the object of having a car in the first place.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is now a discussion about fuel economy.

I have a beloved 10 year old Ford Taurus but it only gets 19 mpg no matter how well I take care of it. I love it but it's not good for regular travels to far away places.

I'd hate to trade it in, as I really love the car, but my term isn't done yet, I've only paid 1 out of 3 years.

What can I do?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.