[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey I need some /adv/ >Parents wanted me to become doctor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: meaning of insanity.jpg (121KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
meaning of insanity.jpg
121KB, 594x334px
Hey I need some /adv/
>Parents wanted me to become doctor
>take premed course
>while taking premed course realized I actually wanted to become an engineer
>Parents still force me to finish premed saying various excuses
>Now at first year med school proper and feeling miserable every single day
>wat do?
I have fairly good grades and was accepted to a good medical school with low amount of people getting accepted due to their rigorous selection process. A lot of people are expecting me to become a doctor (besides my parents, my past coworkers, and my relatives). But since the first year of my premed course I almost always think of becoming an engineer. Halp I feel like i'm on the brink of insanity every single day
>>
Your parents are probably going to die before you do. You need to ask yourself if its really worth it always doing what they want for you in life when ultimately you may end up standing over their graves saying "Well, they're gone. Now what?"

This goes for the other people in your life too. A lot of them will likely not be in your life forever.
>>
if you dont actually like your job, it will show in your work. you'll go on to effect hundreds of people's lives and possibly ruin some of them simply because you hate what you've become. TL;DR: Do what you're passionate about, nothing else is worth the time.
>>
>>17455397
youre way into deep to back down, unless you can do something else with your bachelors degree.
>>
>>17455464
This is actually one of my main problems. As a premed course I took BS Public Health and the only things that I could do with it is become a medical technologist (I already passed the board exams and have my license but I don't like the work that much), become a research assistant, or take a masters degree and hope I get a better job than the first 2 options. I always hope that I could tell my old self to man the fuck up and change courses.

>>17455427
>>17455450
Problem is I'm now 21 and engineering will take me around 4 - 5 years (depends if they accept my older subjects from my previous degree). I'll probably graduate around 25 or 26. Won't I be abit old by then and companies will avoid me?
>>
OP here. After a bit of research. Another branch of my former university provides a Masters Degree on Engineering (Eyeing on either Chemical or Mechanical). I'm thinking of probably applying there while working at the same time. What do you guys think?
>>
>>17455736
OP you should, as others would say, it's your life, choose what you do with it. Tell your parents how you realized your dream job in the future, and remember how no matter what, your perspective will always be the best since you know what you want to do in order to enjoy your life.

Offtopic, but do you have any advice for pre med? I'm going to college in 3 weeks and want to be a doctor too desu
>>
>>17455736
Any half decent university has this.
Have you considered maybe finishing med school, and then doing some biomedical engineering. Prosthetic devices, robots to help paralyzed patients, etc....Having an MD would be a great advantage if you decide to go this route.
>>
>>17455519
I don't work in engineering so I don't know if they prefer to hire people in their early twenties (though I can't imagine why they would) but I've met a couple people now who haven't even entered college for their career of choice until their 30s and turned out fine.
>>
>>17455758
One of the doctors here tell us that premed courses usually don't matter. (But they do in reality) I have one classmate who is 26 years old and have been teaching grade 1 students for the past years. My advice would be to focus on hard subjects in which you think would make med school a bit easier (e.g. anatomy, physiology, biochemistry since these will be what you would encounter on premed.

>>17455759
That's actually a sort of nice idea since i'm sort of gunning for biochemical engineering. But I would just like to add, my family is not that rich and one of the problems I have with med school is the expensive tuition(even for a government subsidized university like I am in). If ever I fail at MD it's probably over for me then.
>>
>>17455519
> Problem is I'm now 21 and engineering will take me around 4 - 5 years (depends if they accept my older subjects from my previous degree). I'll probably graduate around 25 or 26. Won't I be abit old by then and companies will avoid me?

Countries go at different speeds with education, 5 years is on the slow side.

Nobody cares about your age, and nobody will be bothered to figure out how old you are. They'll see you as someone in their 20s. But really, if you were in your 30s they wouldn't care, they hired you to get something done.
>>
>>17455790
Well I'm majoring in biology so that should be helping me out a lot in the long run anyway, any other advice you got?
>>
>>17455827
Most probably develop a solid study habit as early as possible. Med school is about study study study as far as I know.
>>
>>17455838
god damn that's going to be difficult for me to start doing since I procrastinate a lot, what worked for you?
>>
>>17455397

MDfag here. Just nut up and go into engineering. How pathetic would you be in the future as a 55 year old doctor that put in all that work and hates his wasted life because "m-muh parents wouldn't let me do what I want".
It's awsome that you found something to be passionate about. Fuck it, life's a risk nigga
>>
>>17455845
Well I still procrastinate sometimes since I feel unmotivated to study. One of the things that propel students to study is their motivation of getting that MD so try to solidify yours as well.
What worked for me however was making schedules of when and what to study for myself. Discover your own study habits (I could focus on studying for 3 hours straight and then I take a break of 1-2 hours) then create a schedule based on that.
>>
Get a masters or PhD in engineering. Join engineering master race.
>>
>>17455852
Coming from an MDperson makes me feel assured. I have been meaning to talk to our head of students affairs about this but I have been feeling scared (rejection by colleagues and parents and stuff). I'll try to finish this semester I guess and talk to my parents about it. I'll also probably need a sort of secure plan to present to my parents.
>>
>>17455856
amazing advice, thank you for your help OP. Good luck in pursuing your life goal!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.