[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever felt like this? Like you try to befriend someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: images (11).jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
8KB, 259x194px
Anyone here ever felt like this? Like you try to befriend someone from a different country yet you find it tough as they know very little about your country/culture and because of that you feel like you have nothing in common?
>>
>>17449901
Yes. Went to a japanese cultural meetup. It was strange but no matter our command of the English language together there was very much a "barrier" there which I was not able to crack. Ironically i had a better time with the girls but getting genuine chemistry was hard. Never mind both are trying to adjust to the others cultural mindset, being formal/informal.

Its normal though and up to both parties to traverse that. Even then you may just not have chemistry.
>>
>>17450111
Are you Japanese? I am Chinese and sometimes I feel the same thing when I come across westerners.
>>
>>17450116
Ethnically Chinese but western raised (adopted) but I can understand. May act western but, granted very few, natives here are unsure how to talk with me initially but once they hear my accent its fine. Even then i sometimes just lack chemistry. Its normal. If my visits and very basic understanding of modern east asian culture its still quite reserved compared to the west and a bit more insular with less drink and drug abuse.

I have on a cultural and even day to day basis. It depends both on the dynamic and type of people you want to meet or build chemistry. For other chinese raised it can be a problem as i only speak english but they do try as do i as , physically im same but raisedup im different. But its easier it seems than japanese.

What other issues though are you having and what would you like to change?
>>
I've never felt like this. I'm from the UK living in Japan and I just want people to treat me like a Japanese person (okay, a bit more positively than that).
>>
>>17450134
I'm Chinese but I am pretty westernized.
I don't feel this issue with other East Asians and Anglos. It's with people from European, Middle East and Latin American countries with a small Asian population that I feel this. Like we are so different there isn't even enough in common for a conversation.
>>
>>17450174
I'm native English and I feel I don't have enough in common with other English people for a conversation to be honest. Hobbies/personality/views seem more important than ethnicity/nationality to me.
>>
>>17450174
Do you mean with the small asians themselves or the euros? That makes a bit more sense actually as the chinese there would be a well established community and likely more traditional. Irs simply a cultural barrier and it requires both people to try to undersrand one another. This sounds basic though, just act career focused and a love for chinese food and their pop culture.
>>
>>17450200
No I mean for the Euros. Like I stumbled across some Eastern Europeans when I was in Europe but I felt like clicking with them was hard as they knew very little about Asia and there is little common ground.
>>
>>17450216
Hmm. Fo you drink, smoke or do the usual wippy wacky stuff as others? Eastern Euros can be hard for eveb west euros. They are very insular and a large language and culture gap.

They wouldnt know much about Asia. Are you cery interested in getting to know them in particular or just curious?

In my view its best to work with what you have already and build on that unless there is a large return of investment i.e you had a great job lineup in eastern euro. Otherwise a good guy is a good guy, or girl. Why try to get new fruit when your current is fine?
>>
>>17450222
Well I am not THAT interested in befriending them. I just wanted to make friends when I was staying in hostels and I noticed how it seems to be hard to click with Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners, and Latinos due to lack of common ground. I was wondering if others have experienced this or if it is just me.
>>
>>17450229
Oh. No its normal. Especially in the first two. Chill, you are normal. Good luck anon, maybe bring a friend or two with you. Could help in building chemistry.
>>
>>17450234
Are you that Asian person?
I did have friends with me but building chemistry with someone so unfamiliar with your culture is generally hard. Did you experience the same thing?
>>
It's normal
>>
>>17450240
Which Asian person? I replied to the op, western raised one. Yes I did, see >>17450111. Cultural boundaries are normal, just a question how you approach it and if there is any chemistry to begin with.
>>
>>17450487
>boundaries
No I don't mean actual boundaries, more like a lack of knowledge of each other's culture which hinders the friendship
>>
>>17450518
Its pretty much the same thing. Ignorance of a culture is an obstacle and thus a boundary. You can try to talk about each others culture to break it down though.

Truth be told, many of them may not be interested in learning about chinese culture so you can just try other people too.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.