[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently, I joined a diversity committee at work. I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 20160730_092000.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160730_092000.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Recently, I joined a diversity committee at work. I currently work in a hospital, and there is a lot of data suggesting that focusing on certain races or cultures can help provide better care. For example, some of our medicines contain gelatin from pigs, so Muslims and Jews can't use that. Knowing that aides our hospital in becoming better for everyone.

Recently I was speaking with two women about the committee and they were laughing at me because I'm a white man. They said I couldn't contribute to diversity. I was kind of shocked and taken aback, so I left without saying anything.

Is it okay to write them an email explaining that I want to help provide culturally competent care to our community, and that by marginalizing me by race and gender, they humiliated me? I want them to recognize me for my accomplishments and not just my demographics, but at the same time, I don't want to start a fight. I thought about going to HR but didn't; again, I want to keep it civil.

Pic unrelated. It's a cat.
>>
>>17448037
Bump. PLEASE don't make me ask pol....
>>
>I joined a diversity committee at work
> they were laughing at me because I'm a white man
>white man
>man
>diversity committee

Found your problem.
>>
>>17448037
You should absolutely tell them that, but don't expect it to go anywhere
>>
>>17448098
So the issue here is that the diversity committee works on researching data from US hospitals and applying it to underrepresented cultures, or finding disparities. For example, a recent survey found that less than 30% of lgbtq patients identify as such to their providers. That is kind of an important thing to talk the person treating you. But only I knew that, and if I didn't say anything at the committee, it wouldn't have been a known issue. So what I am isn't as important as what I do.
>>
File: 1393616115273.jpg (89KB, 333x322px) Image search: [Google]
1393616115273.jpg
89KB, 333x322px
>white man voluntarily goes to diversity groups of any kind
>>
>>17448037
They were flirting with you, teasing you. They wanted you to say, "....actually, I'm part so and so, you stupid cunt"
>>
>>17448150
Looks good on the resume, and a small contribution goes a long way.
>>
>>17448136
From one professional to another:

What they did was wrong, and shows exactly why THEY shouldn't be on that committee. If they are unable to set aside their own prejudices and work with you, then you should speak to HR.

This is not a matter of you being a white male, this is a matter of you acting as a professional and reaching out to your community.

Just because they have hold select views on males gives them no right to use misandry on a DIVERSITY committee of all places.
>>
>>17448163
Thank you. They are not on the committee, but one had expressed a desire to join. I will recommend against it. In the meantime, do I address this with them directly or forward it directly to HR?
>>
>>17448171
Never direct the issue to them directly, as this can create further conflict, in addition to them gossiping and potentially damaging your reputation among your peers. Be a professional and raise your concerns to HR.

When you express your concerns, give as much context as possible, and don't stray away from the point you're trying to make. The only point you should try to make is this type of behavior is inconsistent with views of diversity. Diversity is about unity, regardless of gender or skin color, and in a professional environment these types of views will flat out get someone fired. This is not a political arena to express one's views.

You can't have an all female committee, or all black committee, or all white committee and call it diverse. It goes against the very definition of the word, and in professional environments, we use the definition of words, not expressed opinions as to what the definition should be.
>>
>>17448186
Thank you. That's some sound advice. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>17448190
You're welcome. I hope it works out, anon.
>>
College age white male here who is in college

Go ahead and complain watch you get in trouble or laughed at. White males can get shit all over and people don't care.
>>
Play stupid games win stupid prizes

Just stay out of it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.