[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I start building a computer? and which is the better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1469505617404.png (588KB, 886x482px) Image search: [Google]
1469505617404.png
588KB, 886x482px
how do I start building a computer? and which is the better OS to use with it?
>>
>>17446305
What do you mean how? How do you start picking out parts? Go to logical increments. Once you order them, it's very simple to put together they're pretty much legos. The only part you can fuck up is attaching the HSF to the processor and even that is easy if you use the anti-static mat that came with the processor. Operating system? That's really subjective.
>>
>>17446374
Not OP, but how much do you think building a good PC would cost? Like 1400 or more?
>>
>>17446412
Good? Can run the large majority of games on high for 800$ easily. My PC i built was 800$ I run skyrim on max 60fps, and MGSV on max 50fps.
>>
>>17446305
Depends on what you want to do with it.

PC gaming then you want windows.

A lot more control over the system for other purposes then linux.

If you need things dumbed down for you then mac, but it is based on Linux still so you can finds ways to use that to a degree, whatever they haven't locked down or you can't work around.

Outside of that you are gonna need a motherboard, cpu, power supply, ram, video card specific for your purposes (gaming vs cad software), solid state drives/hard drives, disc drive (Blu-ray, DVD, cd) and a case to put it all in.

I also suggest doing research into the processor, it's base speed and multiplier when you are choosing cpu and ram to get something that jives well with each other. so you can run the cpu and ram at their native settings without having to technically over clock to processor for the ram to run at it's intended speed.

Look at parts on newegg. Google some guides. Google power supply calculator once you pick the rest of your hardware to get one appropriate for the systems needs. I always used outervision because it's existed the longest but there are others. The higher energy efficiency certification (bronze, silver, gold) the lower your electric bill will be.
>>
File: 111.jpg (368KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
368KB, 894x894px
>>
>>17446435
Forgot to mention Linux is getting a lot more game friendly these days. There is a program called wine for running Windows games in Linux but dialing in every games settings to get it working is a pain. There is a paid version that takes care of that for you but I can't remember the name right now. I haven't really messed with it so I can't say how well it works.
>>
Start with learning the parts and how they all work together if you don't know already. There are guides online that tell you how to build one and some tell you what parts to buy at a certain price range (if you're truly that retarded). If you're a complete retard put OSX on it, if you're half retarded but are smart enough to keep away viruses use Windows, if you're mostly tech savy find yourself a Linux distro you like.
>>
>>17446445
I think the paid version you mention is Crossover
>>
>>17446305
Keep in mind that GPU's and CPU's have about a 4-5 year maximum in terms of usefulness. so if you get last years or the year before that's card the time you will be able to use it for will go down accordingly.
>>
>>17446305
Some stores build your PC for free if you buy parts from them. I'm into PC's for years but suck hard at techical stuff. I buy, they build.
>>
I built my first computer with YouTube on my phone in my hand and praying that I wouldn't break anything.

Turns out its fucking easy as fuck. Buy your parts, watch a video of someone installing a motherboard, don't forget your risers. Then watch a video of someone putting in a processor/heatsink, then a psu and so on and so forth. You'll find out once youre done that it was easy as fuck.

Also if youre planning on building a computer to play vidya then you need Windows. who the fuck games on a mac/linux
>>
>>17446305
The fact that you are asking means you don't know your arse from your elbow when it comes to PCs or PC gaming.
If you can't learn the basics from youtube videos or the countless resources on the internet, then just buy a pre built because we don't need the internet spamming with shit like
>will this CPU work with this mobo?
>I think I put too much thermal paste on
>What is the difference between memory and storage?
>What is the best X?
>How much should I spend on X?
>Can I get a cheap X and buy a better one later?
>I defragged my SSD and now my pc is running slow
>I clicked to find singles in my area, but none are there, is this an internet issue?
>How do I download DirectX 12?
>Why can't I use PhysX on my AMD card? I spent loads on it

If you don't know what you want, how much to spend or what you are doing, then you are probably best off buying a console, if you insist on playing PC games figure out what you actually want to play and on what settings, figure out how long you want your PC to be relevant and then plan your purchase accordingly.
If you just want to play LoL or a generic steam game or something then you don't need to spend much.
>>
>>17446305
>and which is the better OS to use with it?
the one that suits your needs ? i have some linux boxes, some openbsd boxes, 1 netbsd box, a freebsd vm and a windows vm, and they are serve a purpose (ok, the windows vm is just for gaming)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.