[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

06 Chevy Silverado No financial help from parents or anyone else

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: UP2791a-used-school-bus[1].jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
UP2791a-used-school-bus[1].jpg
85KB, 640x480px
06 Chevy Silverado
No financial help from parents or anyone else

>Guy working on truck dropped something in engine (worked under the table)
>Engine for truck is completely seized
>Will cost 4k for used engine + labor
>Full time engineering student
>Other school commitments
>Taking out first student loan
>Loan was supposed to be for a trailer to live in to save money
>Can't take any time off due to previous 1 year commitment to school programs for leadership experience

Do I have any other options? I commute 2+ hours a day for my school

Should I just buy a bus and convert it, and sell my truck for whatever I could get? Or fix truck?

Any advice would be appreciated

>Kinda feel like shooting myself
>>
I'd talk to a lawyer honestly. If he works under the table threatening to report him to the IRS for an audit should scare the fucking piss out of him. He should make things right with you.

Also in the exact same boat, except my truck runs. If there is anything else you need help with let me know. Especially if you're in TN.
>>
>>17445717

Do you owe anything on the truck?

It could be a long, difficult process to get anything at all from the mechanic regardless of the fact that it was under the table.

Why is your commute so far? And why are you buying a trailer? You might want to consider just using the money for an apartment close to campus if you don't have a job that's keeping you in your area.

Honestly a trailer isn't a great investment, particularly if you aren't getting property with it.
>>
>Kinda feel like shooting myself

Join the military and let them pay for school. Instant career with huge future career potential if you choose wisely. Do not join the Army. Do get into aviation.
Do get into LONG TERM aviation programs for career stability. UAS or heavy airlift is best, but I enjoyed fixing fighters.

Wanting a redneck truck is stupid when you are not a mechanic, so become one on the side.There is ZERO excuse for an engineer who can't work on everything they can design. Engineers who know the true tactile experience of working with machines are better engineers. The other sort inflict their mistakes on the people tasked with building their fuckups. All future vehicles become cheaper when you wrench.

A used engine is NOT four grand. Find a mechanic who will stuff a used motor in the thing and drive it. Modern V8s are good for 400K miles. Join military anyway because you can retire much earlier. Get degree then become officer, retire as a Major etc and never have to work again.

Now go unfuck yourself instead of riding your mistakes into more mistakes.

You are welcome.
>>
>>17445717
>I commute 2+ hours a day for my school

Can I ask why you live so far from school. Who are you staying with now?

In an emergency, there's nothing wrong with shelling out a couple hundred for a cheap ass beater. I was in a bad way car-wise once and managed for 2 years on an old truck I got for 300 dollars.

But honestly, it's the 2 hour commute that's going to kill you. 4 hours of every day that could be spent working, studying, or not having to worry about transportation.

It's fucking hard to be broke and have to travel a lot.
>>
>>17445777
>Honestly a trailer isn't a great investment, particularly if you aren't getting property with it.

THIS, and you'll be moving when ya get a job. Fuck trailers in that situatiojn.
>>
>>17445782

Dude is stuck in a situation right now, at this moment. He's probably already enrolled in school and has a plan for himself. Telling him to just go enlist isn't solving his problem in the slightest.
>>
>>17445787

If your plan involves feelings of wanting to off yourself then going to enlist does address the problems.
>>
>>17445787
I did exactly that and it solved my problems instantly!

Dude isn't stuck in shit. I fucking walked from a free ride to engineering school because it bored me at the time. My peers are mostly still working. I retired at 47.

A plan isn't a prison sentence, and who the fuck wants to work all their life? I had a plan. I changed the plan. Both were my plans.
>>
>>17445796

>A plan isn't a prison sentence

No, no it isn't. He never said he didn't want to go to school or that he isn't happy with it. His problem has to do with his transportation and living arrangements.
>>
File: 1469127198881.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469127198881.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>17445777
>>17445762
>>17445782
OP here

Thanks for the replies everyone

The commute is 1 hour both ways with no traffic, sometimes up to 3 or 4 hours on bad days, the local community college doesn't have an engineering department. I go to a school in an affluent area where rent is easily 4-600 just to share a room which is why I was planning on getting a trailer to hitch.

I can't work more than little odd jobs because of a full load, and I just got presidency of my school's robotics club and I am taking the club into a nationwide competition with NASA. We won last year (without me being in charge) and if everything works right I will have good leadership experience, team experience, and build connections, all of which will be on my resume. But I am a carpenter trying to make the switch to technical work.

This year's plan was to focus on programming, leading my team in the competition, building connections, and gaining experience so I can get an internship and switch out of construction
>>
>>17445777
And no, truck is 100% paid off.

To give an idea of how much rent is, I have a friend who was paying 900 for a bedroom and had 13 roommates. Another friend is paying 350 for an 8x10 closet.

That much for rent when I am always at school is pointless. And the idea was that once I am not commuting so much I will be able to work more
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.