[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you stay calm/relax? How do you keep a cool head in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: c66.jpg (75KB, 900x731px) Image search: [Google]
c66.jpg
75KB, 900x731px
How do you stay calm/relax?

How do you keep a cool head in stressful situations?

I am always freaking out over things how do you people do it?
>>
>>17445676

time and practice. it starts by realizing after the fact, that you could have had a cooler head. then slowly you see it happening and force yourself ot leave. then later you dont even ahve to leave. you can just internalize it.

it helps to have an outlet at home. i like to just go home and yell.
>>
>>17445679
You can do that, OP, or just smoke some weed or take pills.
>>
>>17445676
focus on breathing. long, deep breaths, followed by long exhales and a long pause between them.
>>
When you say "freaking out," do you mean a generalized stress regarding something, or do you mean, like, panic or anxiety?

I suffer from depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I take medication for both that help, but on top of that, I've developed a method for coping with anxious feels, and I learned what helps me relax.

I listen to meditation music (tin whistle and pan flute heavy, hah) and close my eyes. I don't think. I don't pray. I breathe deeply, and focus on that. Grounding myself to the present.

The key is to not avoid anxious thoughts, it's to accept that they are there, observe them, then release them. If I'm sitting and meditating (this isn't, like, a religious or spiritual form of meditation - more of a therapeutic and psychological form), whenever a negative thought arises, just observe it, and make a note, and move on.

Ever seen Interstellar? Love that movie, but there's a scene when their spacecraft enters a wormhole. Because they are traveling through a higher dimension, they lose control of their ship. One of the characters tells Matthew McConaughey something along the lines of "You can't control what is happening. All you can do is observe and make a note."

Think of a meditation session as traveling through that higher dimension. When a negative (or even positive) though comes your way in that time, just observe it, realize it is there, and move on.

This always helps me. I do this a couple times a day, along with deep breathing exercises, and it's been a tremendous help.
>>
>>17445698

Thank you for this.
>>
>>17445715
Not a problem. Good luck.
>>
>>17445676
dudeweedlmao
warning: can have opposite effect on some individuals
>>
>>17445737
Kek

>>17445676
Anon, as someone who's successfully finished treatment for severe depression and seasonal affective disorder, I still get panic attacks on rare occasions. I feel like barfing, it gets hard to breathe, and I feel hyper aware to the point where Im sweating in an otherwise cool room.

It's important to breathe and focus on keeping your beat steady. Not panicking is hard, but try to remember that for most cases breathing is a completely independent exercise of whatevers going on and doing this task is possible.

If you have friends that you trust with information about your condition , hang out with them often so they can help you in case something happens. If you're more independent, make it a habit to walk outside every now and then and get some "fresh" air.
>>
>>17445868
Oh and if you feel like barfing multiple times in rapid succession, try finding a bathroom and just try letting it happen, since you aren't bulimic. Most of the time for me it just ends up being gas build up like a burp. If you end up throwing up, keep mints/gum handy and aim away from your clothes. Either way your body will feel better after the spasm.
>>
It's not a stressful situation to me. It's a bad one, but I know I can get through it, and a clear head will help me get there.

My girlfriend couldn't even think after her car accident. She hit a family of 5 almost head on in her SUV. I felt a little dazed for about 10 seconds, but then it was clear that I needed to tell her to stay calm and sit tight, I should get out of the car and see if the other vehicle's passengers are alive/okay, etc.

It's all your disposition though. You don't have full control over it.
>>
>>17445676
You got to just block shit out. Eventually everything else falls into place, took me a longgg time to realize, some things aren't worth it
>>
I stay cool because I have no emotional investment in drama. I despise drama so I never add to it.

Works well. I get shit done.
>>
File: image.jpg (275KB, 1142x1300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275KB, 1142x1300px
>>17445676
Easy ! Become a carpenter !
>>
>>17445676

instead of focusing on how terrible things are that are happening, focus instead on how you are goin to respond to it.

focusing on how terrible the problem is robs you of energy and focus and leads to despair. Focus on how to solve the problem, and when you do so the problem will not seem so large.

>>17445679

also this.
>>
I've been through so much shit that I just don't have the energy to lash out. Perfecting my suicide note in my head is one of the most relaxing things. Something that makes people miss me, but not some narcissistic manifesto. Something short and poignant, but not to brief that someone forgets.

I've been forging it mentally for 7 years and it's been enough to calm me from actually doing it.
>>
I don't. I've got an insanely short temper that seems to go off almost at random. Someone can punch me in the face and I won't feel an ounce of anger, but then someone might put vinegar on a meal that I didn't want vinegar on and it'll send me into a blood-boiling rage.

Wish I knew how to handle that shit. The whole "just do deep breaths m8" just makes me painfully aware of how angrily my blood is pumping and it just fuels the anger more.
>>
heroin
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.