[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I HATE it when people self-diagnose, but I honestly don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 650.jpg (70KB, 425x338px) Image search: [Google]
650.jpg
70KB, 425x338px
So, I HATE it when people self-diagnose, but I honestly don't know what to do anymore and I feel that putting a name and getting some treatment to a problem I've been having since my youth would be beneficial.

I think I have, or something akin to, SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder.

All my life, processing certain sounds, physical feelings, and even visual cues cause very real pain to me - sounds, especially. One of my "trigger" sounds (fuck, that sounds so Tumblr) is thumping noises. It causes a physical pain in my head, and causes me to feel a very intense mixture of rage, anxiety, and overwhelming sadness. I can hear peoples' footsteps in the apartment upstairs, or someone's stereo's bass in the next car over, or even something like a hammer driving a nail in from a distance, and I just lose it. Another is eating related noises - lip smacking, food crunching, and even silverware contacting a plate. Whenever hearing stuff like that, I lose it. I lose it to the point of tears, and sometimes that is because I get so frustrated and angry, or sometimes it's out of sadness and depression, or it could be straight up anxiety. I never know.

Some physical touch "triggers" I have are soft but coarse surfaces, like mattress eggcrate, or even one of those fabric zip-binders that you keep loose-leaf paper in. Touching them sends shivers up my spine.

Visual cues are weirder to explain, but one is common and I learned the name of it from browsing 4chan for damn near 7 years now: Trypophobia.

Point is, I think I have SPD, or maybe just a weird mix of sensory-related phobias, or fuck, maybe damn autism, I don't know.

I also have a history of clinical depression and GAD, both of which are being treated by medication (very well, for the most part) and occasional therapy visits. Should I bring my thoughts up to my therapist? Could they actually help me? I'm just so sick of losing it....

Thanks.
>>
>>17443313
There is nothing wrong with self-diagnosing, if a lot of research goes into it, and you are ready to accept that it's only a possible diagnoses.

Of course you should bring it up to your therapist. Why the fuck not. Literally nothing to lose.
>>
>>17443313
Any relevant information you provide to your doctors can be beneficial, but sometimes doctors are incompetent. I'm only 21 and I've had a skin infection for years that's undiagnosed, back pain that never goes away, and I'm unreasonably tired all the time.
>>
Well you definitely should bring it up with your shrink. What do you have to lose? There's probably a 1/10 chance it'll help but it's better than going through motherfuxking pain because of sounds every day. She might give you some pills. If they don't work you can just sell them to some stoners
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.