[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >18 y/o just finished school, now off to college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: confusedmusk.jpg (249KB, 1240x930px) Image search: [Google]
confusedmusk.jpg
249KB, 1240x930px
>be me
>18 y/o just finished school, now off to college
>wants to be an entrepreneur
>spent my entire teenage thinking that graduating in finance would be a good idea.
>finds out that finance jobs aren't entrepeneur compatible as you work 9 to 6 and have no free time to create your business.
>find out after graduation you have literally no skills because it's not a STEM and you can't innovate if you have no knowledge of how to create things.

What degree would you choose at the age of 18 to help you be an entrepeneur?
In other words, what's the most useful degree for an entrepeneur?
>>
>>17442411
Naive precocious faggot studies would be a perfect fit for you

Go get 'em, tiger.
>>
>>17442411
Go for any degree and don't care about it, learn stuff on your own and try creating something before graduating.
>>
>>17442441
>dont care about it
Wat
>>
>what's the most useful degree for an entrepeneur?
What's wrong with a business degree?
>>
>>17442468
Op here. It doesnt help you because you get no skills from it. You dont need a degree to start a business.
>>
Certain universities offer a degree in entrepreneurship. My friend is studying it.
>>
>>17442492
I dont need to know how to be an entrepreneur, in my opinion you are either born with it or not. What I want to know is what degree would make you a better entrepreneur and increase your chances of being successful.
>>
Compsci, assuming you want to be a tech entrepreneur. Then you can feasably create a product or at least a working prototype before getting outside funding.

Of course, you probably won't end up being an entrepreneur.
>>
Get a degree that gives +10 luck
>>
>>17442521
I guess you know it all then and classes that teach you how to run a fucking business are beneath you. You fucking unbearable cretin.
>>
>>17442539
My friend, don't be so sensitive. No, I don't "know it all", I just gave my opinion as I honestly think you don't need to know how to run it, you learn through experience. How did people manage back then when there were no MBAs at colleges? All I came here for was to get your guys opinion on a good degree that will give you skills for a lifetime (CS gives you coding skills for example). Sonething that gives you practical skills not just garbled theory.
>>
>>17442538
Kek sure falloutfag
>>
>>17442532

computer science is very theoretical. not the best for learning how to make a product.

>>17442578

some kind of engineering or a "trade" major, like accounting, actuarial science, web dev, graphic design (maybe), statistics, applied math.

avoid pure sciences and liberal arts
>>
>>17442676
>liberal arts
KEK
Yeah, I think Im going for a Engineering degree in Hardware and Software as it could open the gates for me to start a Startup or a tech company for example.
>>
>>17442700

same guy. keep in mind that techie types are a dime a fucking dozen. there are a million startups every year.

you could also do something like lawn science (i dont know the exact name) or hospitality management (hotel expert).

those are actually decent majors, i kid you not.
>>
>>17442578
Loads of CS grads who can't write code unless we're talking copy pasta. I was in the industry for over 10 years and I've seen some shit.
Literally retarded shit from CS grads who came from good universities.

Also nothing wrong with business degrees. Accounting, Finance, Management, etc..
All very helpful when starting and running a business.

>>17442521
>in my opinion you are either born with it or not
I used to think that way until I started businesses of my own. It's wrong.
You can have the drive and motivation. The knowledge to do it properly is something you have to spend time learning.
>>
>>17442709
How arent business degrees a waste of time? Wouldnt it be better to become an Engineer or something practical and learning business on your free time?
>>
>>17442741
>learning business on your free time
Not really unless you want the future of your business to be running on the knowledge you gained from google and a few random books.

I've known engineers who have gone into business. Not one of them survived.
One was a Mech. Eng with an MBA in his 50's. A lot of life experience.
The business he purchased for over $1M is now dead.
Engineers generally suck at entrepreneurship and business management.
If you do choose an engineering degree, you better employ those people with a "waste of time" degree to help you with marketing, accounting, etc., or you'll most likely end up with a failing business.
>>
>>17442785
Op here.
>you better employ people with "waste of time" degrees
Kek that was legit funny, nice one .
So do you think a business degree is more apropriate for a future entrepeneur?
>>
>>17442814
No stay away from business as far as possible. Running a business is nothing like business.
>>
>>17442820
What? All right so what do you recommend as a degree?
>>
>>17442411
Find a mentor
>>
>>17442856
Kek like that's easy. People are too full of themselves to worry about others.
>>
A degree is the way to go for a set career path, not an entrepreneurial one.

The fact that you're even asking this, let alone not doing your own research suggests that you're not the type.
>>
>>17442814
It really depends what you plan on doing.
Entrepreneur is a bit vague. If you're going the tech startup path then obviously you should primarily focus on learning that.
If you just want to start businesses (ie coffee shops or whatever) then learn the business side while getting experience working in similar environments.

Just don't look down on business related degrees and disciplines. They are there for a reason.
Large successful companies don't just employ random engineers to do everything. Just as they won't employ >>17442820 people who show up and say "running a business is nothing like business"...
FWIW when I look at all the older retired guys I know, accountants seem to make the smarter decisions around money, investments, and business.

Also consider a backup plan. Not everyone succeeds being self-employed or starting a business. Maybe consider a degree that you'd be happy working with should your initial plans fall apart.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.