[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to apply to acting conservatories so I'm working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (38KB, 845x537px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 845x537px
I want to apply to acting conservatories so I'm working on my auditions.

Here's my audition monologue of Edmund from A Long Day's Journey into Night.

Thoughts?
What did I do well?
What did I not do so well?
>>
forgot to post link!

https://youtu.be/snkAWP8IDi8
>>
Bumpingg
>>
>>17441393
You are ok but are you not too young to be on this site? Remind me of amateur theatre, you are alright.
>>
>>17441788
I'm 18 so not too young to post here.
Thanks for the feedback (even though it is pretty vague). It's an improvement from the past feedback I've gotten here before which was overwhelmingly negative. I changed monologues and I think this one suits me better. I still have to work on it though. Today was pretty much my first day rehearsing it (cuz both my parents weren't home so I could rly shout and go for it). Comedy is more of my strongsuit so I'm trying to get used to dramatic stuff without overdoing it too much. I do think I overdid it a little though.

I'm going to be a freshman at a liberal arts college with a decent theatre program, but this summer I realized I wanna go to a conservatory. So now I'm thinking of transferring.
>>
>>17441805
I mean im no professional theatre critic but I do go to theatre the odd time and really, but you clearly are just getting the beaeings. Also you may be 18 but still a kid.

My best advice is go to another site like reddit for stuff like this and get more brain cells. You should no better than to come here for acting or recreational advice.
>>
>>17441820
Haha. I do take all the advice on here with a grain of salt. I'm using the feedback to gauge if I'm going in the right direction.
I can pretty much tell myself what I need to work on (for example I need to start from lower energy so I can really build rather than starting too high energy).
I think Reddit does tend to have less of an abrasive community, but on 4chan it's easier to get replies faster. And ppl have less of a filter. Which is both good and bad.
>>
>>17441393
Hey anon, I went to a top tier conservatory and while I did learn a lot of theory, I think most of what makes good acting is knowing what the character wants. You have some good moments throughout but I think you are pushing just a bit. Don't make the anger, FIND the anger. Think of the underlying reasons why the character chooses to say what they're saying. For example, when someone says " I hate you" it usually does not literally mean "I hate you" rather, it means "I am so angered by the way your existence makes me feel that I feel so much rage towards who you are as a person"

If you get my drift. Loosen it up. Try to find new discoveries each time you rehearse it. Don't "seek" out moments. Let it happen and the moments will come naturally, as they do in real life.
>>
>>17443246
Thanks, man! I appreciate your advice very much.

What conservatory did you go to and how did you like it there? I'm asking because I'm trying to narrow down where I wanna go. My top choices are BU and NYU.

I think that my character wants his father to send him to a better sanatorium, but do you think that's enough? Should I come up with more, or is it better to be simple?
With the anger I just try to find verbs like "to whip", "to punch" and "to push", but perhaps that's not enough for a more nuanced performance.
>>
>>17441393
made me cringe
and it's really really gay
>>
>>17444490
Hm good point. Thanks for the costructive criticism.
>>
As a total outsider to theater, you seemed good to me, maybe work on your flow to make it seem more natural and less rehearsed, if that makes sense
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.