[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've spent pretty much all my life enjoying fantastic adventures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_17909-images-1771217771.jpg (14KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_17909-images-1771217771.jpg
14KB, 275x183px
I've spent pretty much all my life enjoying fantastic adventures in fiction. Books, TV, anime, video games, etc

I just watched Diebuster after sitting on it for 8 years and it's put me into an intense rut. How do you deal with knowing that you'll never be or do anything important with your life?
>>
Says who? Do something important with your life, get a job that helps people. I'm an EMT and it's always a great feeling when I've helped someone in an emergency and they thank me for it.

No one person can save the world, real life isn't a sentai. Just do what you can to make the world better rather than worse.
>>
>>17441134

Not OP, but I lament more the fact that it's not worth helping people since most are monumental assholes who get less grief than they're due or causing. Helping them will only make them dodge karma. It won't teach them empathy or compassion, because they wouldn't be assholes if they had the capacity for those things.

And that stops me from helping anyone even though I'd like to ban misery and sadness from the world.
>>
>>17441295
No I don't agree with that. I do deal with a lot of human garbage like drunks, the homeless, junkies, homeless drunk junkies but on a whole I think you're being overly bleak. You've convinced yourself that it won't matter so why even try, but it's based on a false assumption. There are genuinely good people, I help them every day and I'd like to think that I'm one as well. Additionally acts of good will are contagious and it starts with you.
>>
>>17441295

have you / OP considered a more creative career than?

while you may never put more than a few pennies in the rainy day jar that is the worlds growth and development, you can still have your big adventures and feel like you are making a difference.

within most of those books, tv, anime, and video games, are amazing life lessons both big and small that help people better understand their own lives a little bit better, even if its on a subconscious level, though the strong focus on media and critique of writing has made it less and less of a subconscious thing.

consider age of ultron. on the surface its just another 'dumb super hero movie'. but when you dig into the layers, there is a lot going on in terms of what is 'right' or 'wrong'. it takes the ideas of the egotistical (i am me, therefore I must be part of the 'better' humans, and anyone worse should be eliminated) an deconstructs why its wrong. life isn't about furthering life as a whole, but rather enjoying your own as well as you can.

'a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts' sums up the ideas of humanity greatly. we will be wiped out one day, but that doesnt invalidate our entire existence.

cont.
>>
>>17441315

and if you get deeper in to what the movie is more about (relationships) you find it is even more accurate.

The strongest relationships going are
Captain american and Iron man (friends)
Scarlet witch and quicksilver (Siblings)
Widow and hulk (romance)

'something isn't beautiful because it lasts' tells us that its okay to enjoy what you had in a romance, but know that it wont last forever like all the disney movies said they would. That its okay to mourn your brother, but also okay for him to die. It foreshadows the inevitable break down of Iron man vs. captain america, and even Vision's own death (who will inevitably die when his stone is taken by big bad purple grapefruit man).

now imagine sitting down, thinking about what you learned about life today, and writing an entire story around it, and having someone walk away saying 'that was really emotional'.

to hear someone say they were brought to tears by your own work is one of the greatest feelings in the world. even if its just for a shitty web series.
>>
>>17441312

>you're being overly bleak

Most probable, though you sound almost naive from my point of view. I realise morality isn't black and white. But people who are crappy because they are too selfish or narcissistic to care or register other people's feelings and rights are lost causes. They will cause trouble until they die no matter what.

I just don't want to reward people who lie or are terrible. Likewise, I don't want to hurt people who just had a bad day and are angry about it.

>>17441315

I'm a NEET currently trying to get fit in order get a job as a worker, and trying to become sociable by going out and talking to people. People find me charismatic for some odd reason, and even people who gave me a cold (almost rude) response at first ended up having trouble splitting afterwards.

A creative career would be nice but financial insecurity is a big worry for me, plus I have issues with spatial perception. I've been writting since I was a kid and fancy I know enough about story structure and rules to spin a worthwhile story, but I've a long way ahead of me before I can live off my writing. Plus there's a small market for books, especially here.

>>17441319
>thinking about what you learned about life today

Actually, today I came across a "hidden condition" discount and was later hit in the face (I'm wearing glasses btw) by a middle-aged woman in the train because I stood up for an elderly couple she was being a cunt at (I was there from the start so I know she was in the wrong and obnoxious from the first moment). And of course thanks to gender "equality" I was socially forbidden from striking her back.

Don't worry, I didn't take you literally. I fully understand what you were trying to say. The thing about works of fiction is that they are fabricated. They are constructed by a person with a certain perspective and are put together in an ideal order of fitting events. Intentionally or not, they convey an opinion or mindset.
>>
>>17441613

>career

probably shouldnt have used that word, i more mean creative pursuits. i manage an office by day, write by night.

>they convey an opinion or mindset

yes. this is literally what i described. and?
>>
>>17441613
cont. Also my phone's reception is bad.

But opinions and mindsets are formed by our experiences. Different experiences equal different mindsets. Perhaps the writer is surrounded by nice people. But my experiences so far since childhood have taught me that people are usually crappy, will never change, and that the only way to change the world for the better is to beat them over the head until they stop causing trouble in fear of pain. They won't listen to words anyway.

Speaking of AoU, I liked Ultron for the various questions he posed and for being a karmic response to Tony's actions. Had it not been for his angry outbursts, I would had taken him as a comment on how the same intentions and goals can lead to different courses of action and outcomes.

>>17441624

>creative pursuit

Oh I see. I'm thinking about writing a b movie-ish scifi serial. There a few paranormal magazines here and there's a chance they could publish it.

>and?

And it's difficult to take heart and have your faith in humanity restored from a made up story instead of a real one.
>>
>>17441652

>some magazines might publish it

or you could publish it yourself. just saying, if you post on tumblr, post on story write, fanfic sites, etc. you will build up an audience if its any good.

narrated stories are becoming extremely popular (mostly creepy pastas) so if you or a friend has a decent voice you can do that as well. you could also consider putting in extra work and created a legit audio play out of it (Afterlives got hugely popular).

if you an draw, make it a comic, etc.

>and its difficult to have faith in humanity restored from a made up story

so? i never said this was about restoring faith in humanity for you. its to effect other people on an emotional level. i literally said you could at most only be responsible for 'a few pennies in the rainy day jar of humanity'.

but again, when someone tells you that something you created made them cry (in a positive emotional way) you know you did a good job and it was worth it.

you asked how to do something 'important' with your life and i suggested creative pursuits to effect people on an emotional level as opposed to say charity for ingrates.
>>
>>17441670

The idea behind the magazine is that it could always use some extra content, and it has an audience already. I won't need to be adverticed this way.
I write because I like it though. I've no ambition to become a big writer.

>post on tumblr, post on story write, fanfic sites, etc

You know, I don't get it. How do people find stories in the near-infinite sea of spam and content that are these sites?

>if you an draw, make it a comic

Oh boy, the things I'd draw if could. I'm not hurting for ideas, but a few issues such as being unable to perceive distances prevent me from drawing. Pity, pictures are a much more powerful medium than text.

>creative pursuits to effect people on an emotional level as opposed to say charity for ingrates.

Like giving away something that only people you deem worthy will find valuable. That's an interesting idea. Thanks.
>>
>>17441731

>giving away somethign that only people you deem worthy will find valuable

i never thought of it that way, but its kind of true now that i think about it. its a fancier way of saying 'haters gonna hate' but i like it. gonna steal that quote
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.