[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some info on what Southern California is like. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (18KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 236x236px
I need some info on what Southern California is like. I'm about to be going out there for work, and I haven't been further West than Kansas.
I'd also like to know if it's worth it to try and get a girlfriend out there.
>>
File: Boltman.jpg (4KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
Boltman.jpg
4KB, 165x115px
SoCal fag here:

Southern California is a ok pace depending what you like. The weather is pretty much the same every day, food is really good depending where you eat (Mexican food is the best here), and the beaches are nice (depending where you go - avoid Imperial beach, the surf is filthy). There's some cute girls down here as well, I guess. What do you need to know specifically?
>>
>>17432302
housing is overpriced to hell and back, and you're gonna be sitting in traffic on the freeway 5 days a week. sales tax is up to 10% in some regions (LA COUNTY) and just about everything else is taxed in another way.
>>
>>17432380
I wanted to know how different it was from the Midwest, my home.
Plus, I wanted to start up a family once I settled into my job.
What are the people like?
>>
start playing some super smash brothers MELEE
>>
>>17432439
Would it still be bad if I didn't have to worry about those things?
>>
>>17432484
Well, what city are you moving into?
>>
>>17432609
Between San Diego and Los Angeles- I'm going to be there for a few years.
>>
>>17432649
I lived most of my life in San Diego, and I felt that SD is a generally nice city overall. You'll get a lot of traffic both in SD or LA (LA traffic is horrible, sometimes hours long). People are pretty nice, communities are well connected. I don't know much about LA, but I'm pretty sure you'll fell comfortable after a few weeks. Homeless population is high, but it's nothing like San Francisco (trust me). As I said earlier, weather is consistent, usually 72°F, more or less.
>>
>>17432718
That's nice to hear.
Now my next question is how do the Southern Californians feel about the military, especially the Marines?
>>
Hot, Dry
Nice people
Expensive
Good food
No public transport, you need a car

Other than that, pretty different from place to place. The suburbs oF LA merge with the suburbs or SD, so you're talking about a large area. Pick a good spot and you'll do great.
>>
>>17432734
Tons of support for the millitary.
>>
>>17432734
No one here disrespects the Marines, if that's what you're asking. It's more likely that people will be indifferent to a marine thank thank him, for example. Many places give discounts to those in uniform, but apart from that, expect to be treated like anyone else.
>>
File: 1468612248175.jpg (27KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468612248175.jpg
27KB, 420x420px
>>17432302
I just got back from my 3 week LA vacation and I loved it. The thing I really liked is that there's ALWAYS something to do. And if there wasn't, I could just go down to Santa Monica or Venice and smoke a blunt by the beach. The people down there were so much nicer than the shitty town I live in in the Midwest. Also, lots of cute girls.
>>
>>17432780
>Santa Monica

Lol fucking white kids
>>
>>17432764
I'm not looking for praise, I'm just glad that I won't be looked down on.
Sounds like a nice place, I can't wait to go.
>>
>>17432793
People in San Diego suck marines cocks. You won't get any hate. Quite the opposite.
>>
>>17432831
That tricare is stronk
>>
>>17432734
HUGE navy state. If you go into SD don't be surprised to find navy scattered around. You'll be among fellow marines or sailors.
>>
>>17432840
>You'll be among fellow marines or sailors.

aka the worst part
>>
>>17432846
The place where they hang around or the Sailors and Marines is the worst part?
>>
>>17432881
hanging out with other military people gets pretty annoying after a bit, they just talk about muh work politics
>>
>>17432302
Depends on where you live. I lived in a small suburb most of my life and watched it overcrowd.

Traffic will be life. It takes me an hour to drive 18 miles to work. But you can tolerate it and learn a few short cuts and learn over time where the bullshit traffic begins to accumulate.

>>17432649
I take it somewhere in or near the OC? That's a nicer more expensive area. That's where I travel to work and one of the more traffic heavy areas.

Other than that, with people, they generally keep to themselves in my area. Being friendly is not something ingrained into people of this area. You still should be friendly, but it stuns most strangers.

It's also hot and we haven't had an actual "winter" in years. If you have allergies prepare yourself. Especially on days there are fires or pollution is heavy.
>>
What kind of job will you be getting OP?
>>
>>17432487
you should check it out for yourself. LA is incredibly spread out, and there's no way you could manage anything without a car. streets, houses, and artificial parks. if you find an open natural world important, LA is not the place.
>>
Lots of sun, lots of mexicans, asians, lots of college kids, lots of places to eat, drink, dance, and party in general
>>
>>17432302
IT IS HELLA HOT OVER HERE
>>
>>17432734
>>17432649

So 29 Palms?
>>
>>17432976
Sums it up well. Weirds me out how there's not Asians all over like there is in California. San Diego is hella spread out too be prepared to drive a lot. Traffic can be bad but just don't be bothered by it. I drive in rush hour traffic both ways to work, listen to music, and just enjoy my coffee.

Lots of different fun cultures in each area (PB, Encinitas, Gaslamp, North Park). Explore em all and find yr fave.
>>
>>17432484
There are no wifeable women here. Bring one with you if you must.
>>
>>17432302
IMPORTANT NOTICE!

THERE ARE SOME SHITTY SHITTY NEIGHBORHOODS IN SO-CAL!

Same as everywhere else, but surprisingly more so as California is filled with middiling places overshadowed by nearby places. If you have a place in mind, see if you can find a forum (search [city] forum) for that city and look for the general vibe there. There are places with $500,000 houses and tons of crime.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.