[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My parents will go crazy once they find I've dropped out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: 1444624009342.png (28KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1444624009342.png
28KB, 645x773px
My parents will go crazy once they find I've dropped out of college. I've been pretending to go to classes for a year, while still living at home. I don't know what to do.
>>
enrol on new course
>>
>>17431701
Can't. Already did it twice before. They won't believe me this time.
>>
"Mom/Dad, I've got something to tell you that you aren't going to like. I've done something bad, and I need some help." From here, go on to explain what you've done and why.

Honestly, this is your best shot at keeping them from going nuts. They'll still be hurt terribly, and rightly so, but you've frankly gone far enough beyond the pale that most people would see rage as pointless. But at the same time, opening like this is a case of managing expectations: by the time you say what you actually did, they'll be relieved enough that you didn't kill anyone to soften the blow a bit.

Note that this opening involves asking for help. You clearly need it. You will get it. There is no way to avoid that: you can delay it for a bit, but not forever.

Why did you do it?
>>
>>17431706
>Can't. Already did it twice before. They won't believe me this time.
Are you saying this is the third time you've dropped out and pretended not to?
>>
>>17431689
College is easy af. Your fault for not doing a little studying. Just drop it all on them and get it out there. Only real way to actually move forward at this point.
>>
>>17431732
>Mom/Dad, I've got something to tell you that you aren't going to like. I've done something bad, and I need some help
I can't do it, bro. Just the thought of it makes me want to puke. The last time I tried to open up to them I was literally shaking like a Parkinson patient and slurring my words, and almost passed out. I'm afraid of their reactions because I'm pretty sure one of them is going to faint or have a

>Why did you do it?
Extreme social anxiety that I couldn't control. I was sperging out and humiliating myself constantly. So I made the decision to drop.
>>
>>17431758
>I can't do it, bro. Just the thought of it makes me want to puke. The last time I tried to open up to them I was literally shaking like a Parkinson patient and slurring my words, and almost passed out.
I'm sorry to hear it, though it underscores the fact that you need help. Desperately. I'm sorry, but there is no way beyond the fear except to face it.

>I'm afraid of their reactions because I'm pretty sure one of them is going to faint or have a
That is unlikely, though you can have the conversation sitting down to minimize the chance of fainting causing problems.
>>
>>17431744
>Are you saying this is the third time you've dropped out and pretended not to?

No, I told them about the dropping out before. They were disappointed, so I counteracted by saying "I will try again". I guess that worked out brilliantly.
>>
>>17431746
>Just drop it all on them and get it out there. Only real way to actually move forward at this point.
I'm not sure. I'm trying to find any other solution at this point.
>>
>>17431768
>but there is no way beyond the fear except to face it.
But I have no way to gradually expose myself to the fear. It's like throwing myself into the lion's den.

>you can have the conversation sitting down to minimize the chance of fainting causing problems.
How's that going to work?
>>
>>17431706

dont tell them. just enrol and carry on
>>
>>17431877
>But I have no way to gradually expose myself to the fear. It's like throwing myself into the lion's den.
Eeeyup. Sorry, bro.
>>
>>17431938
The enrollment period expired.
>>
>>17431689
go back to school and say uve been there all along
>>
>>17431689
They will go crazy, but probably more because you didn't tell them than because you dropped out. They'll be hurt that you didn't trust them.

Best plan is to put together a coherent Plan B in a hurry - not just "I dropped out" but I've decided to do this and this instead, for these carefully thought out reasons."
>>
>>17431951
Wait for the next one and tell them you're retaking a course or something because you barely passed/failed.
>>
>>17432153
What would your plan B be?
>>
>>17432173
Already told them I've passed.
>>
>>17431758
You're living the lie right now and they probably already know. Just think about it for a moment. Would you rather suffer embarrassment about the subject forever? Or rid yourself of it now?

I know someone who married another person thinking they had a college degree and years in their marriage they found out the person lied about it and IMMEDIATELY divorced. It's childish, anon, but the longer you lie the worse it gets. Live with honesty.
>>
>>17431689
Suicide time anyone? Suiicideeee timeeee

Seriously when was suicide not the best end-game action of all time? The best answer of all time, guys. Let's help OP seppuku.
>>
>>17432244
>they probably already know.
They don't. Seriously.

>Would you rather suffer embarrassment about the subject forever?
What's the difference between telling them and not telling them? The embarrassment will be the same. That's why I don't know what to do.
>>
>>17432201
I'm going to trade school to be a plumber.
I'm going into the military.
I've become interested in retail sales and know I can get a job selling in a store without a degree.
>>
>>17432207
Then fake a drug addiction. Go to your parents in tears, tell them you got hooked on crack, and that you need their help to get better. Maybe they'll send you on a sweet vacation at a clinic for a few weeks.
>>
OP I think you need real help. Can you talk to someone more mature than /adv/ please? Like a therapist or something, at least go to one session?
>>
>>17431689
>I've been pretending to go to classes for a year
How?

Wouldn't it be easier to actually go to classes?
>>
>>17432306
This. WHY aren't you going to classes? Like REALLY. You're anonymous, what is the deep down reason?
>>
>>17432284
I could probably choose any one of them, but the real problem is I'm afraid of how they're going to react when I break the news. They have heart problems and I'm afraid they'll faint or worse. This is what I've been trying to avoid for the longest time possible.
>>
>>17432301
Don't have money for therapists. And the ones that don't require money are shit.
>>
>>17432306
>>17432316
Debilitating anxiety.
>>
>>17432292
>get sent to the equivalent of prison
Sweet idea, but I'd prefer being homeless.
>>
best to try get a job
>>
>>17432334
>I'm doing this for their own good really, if I told them the truth they would die.

This has got to be one of the deepest coping mechanisms to justify shitty behavior I've ever seen. Why did you even make this thread? Obviously your only option is to tell them yet you have a hundred reasons why you can't. There is no alternative other than suicide.
>>
>>17432501
>coping mechanism
What? I think it's just a bad decision that's gone off the deep end.

>There is no alternative other than suicide.
0/10
>>
>>17431689
>I've been pretending to go to classes for a year, while still living at home
>I don't know what to do

Jesus Christ, you just summed up the last year for me.
>>
>>17432272
>tfw just waiting for mother to pass away
>>
I read about some asaingirl who lied to her parents about the same thing.
They ended up finding out and she fired a hit man to kill them in the end
>>
File: erod.jpg (18KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
erod.jpg
18KB, 275x183px
>>17431689
At least chase your own dreams of failure.
>>
>>17431689
>>17432353

>inability to deal with anxiety
>drop out of classes
>pretend to be attending
>confusion

This hits way too close to home.
>>
>>17433570
whew, good thing she fired him.
>>
>>17432207
Tell them you overlooked something and didn't actually pass
>>
Ah, OP, I was in a similar situation once, except much worse.

When I was 21, I decided to kill myself.
For years I had no friends, no fun, the idea of working my life away disgusted me, and I thought I had already wasted my youth. So I wanted to die.
Taking the decision was easier than actually doing it. After a few months of hesitation, exam time came around and I decided there was no point in going and enduring the anxiety since I had no future anyway. Also, I thought that destroying my chance at a bourgeois lifestyle would put my back against the wall and give me the courage I lacked.
So I dropped out and, since I lived with my parents, started pretending I was still studying and passing exams.

Then it got ridiculous : months passed, and then years. I got increasingly scared of death, and always put my suicide to another week. With nothing to do and only a few things to think, I lost track of time. I also lost my emotions. I never had a lot of those, except for anger, disgust and desperation at my life and the world. These progressively became dulled and I became dumb. I got more and more inactive, and the lie more and more obvious. I said I graduated, then that I was working on a phd... From my bed.
My family believed it. Or pretended to. My father and my sisters are not the type to enable that kind of behaviour though, so... My mother maybe.
>>
>>17435005
After three years of nothingness, came the time when I was supposed to defend that thesis. When they asked if it was successful I said yes.
I was 27.
I had given up on suicide. I was an empty husk going through almost no motion.
But that couldn't continue. With my pretend diploma in my pocket, I had to get a job and use it to rent a place and so on.

I couldn't accept that.
But I found an alternative called work exchange. I'm traveling around Europe going to peoples homes and exchanging 20-25 hours of manual work for food and accommodation. Been doing that for 19 months or so.
I chose this mostly as an escape from my family, their questions and their expectactions. It also allows me to have little responsibilities and to work slowly on rebuilding my personality and learning the social skills I never had.
Ultimately I will have to cut contact or to admit my lie though. Haven't made my choice yet.
I'll do it after I find something I would like to live for.
It's not looking very good.

help me please...
>>
>get a job of any kind
>pretend to go to college
>you will be away all day anyway
>one day just suddenly approach them after you became confident enough: hey mom, dad... I dropped out of college...BUT NO WORRIES I'VE GOT A JOB, I've got this, nothing to be upset about
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>17431951
>The enrollment period expired.
I'm assuming you're first or second year at most?
Are you in the USA? Enroll in some of the courses you were supposed to have taken in the nearest community college. Their enrollment periods go up until the classes actually begin. The class credits will probably transfer to the "real" school too, so it won't be wasted time/money.

This way you'll actually be taking classes and you can admit the lie at the end of the school year, but show that you actually made progress in the first place.
>>
I'm in sort of the same boat OP, I just failed my math 96 class the 3rd fucking time. It was the only class I took this semester and I failed it. Feels bad man.

Having a job helps a lot, even if its just taco bell or something similar, without it I wouldn't have anything and it takes up time normally spent with parents/at home and turns it into money which is nice.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.