[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm getting ready to move from the middle of bumfuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: New-York-City-Skyline.jpg (36KB, 489x305px) Image search: [Google]
New-York-City-Skyline.jpg
36KB, 489x305px
So I'm getting ready to move from the middle of bumfuck nowhere to NYC in a few weeks. I'm concerned bc not only am I moving from the exact opposite of NYC, I've also only recently moved out of my self hating depressed phase of my life, so this is kind of like my blank slate and I don't want to fuck up. Like I've already been told to stop holding doors open for people or they'll think I'm trying to pull something. And I'm really anxious about having to make friends, especially since I'll know nobody and apparently it's harder to get to know people. Plus I am at a complete loss when it comes to public transportation and the "neighborhoods" and all that jazz.

tldr moving to the big apple and I have no clue what I am doing. looking for some advice about the city and about meeting people
>>
Are you coming to NY for school or a job or something, or do you just want to "make it in the big city?"
>>
>>17429376
College
>>
>>17429457
what school?
>>
People play up NYC like people there are animals. I've been countless times and while they move faster than the average person, a majority of them were very polite. I've never felt unsafe there. Being in any sort of city can be a bit of a shock, and while NYC is huge in size and population, it's not another world. I have plenty of people talk to me/smile/hold open doors when I go. Have fun! There's always so much to do and see, even just sitting outside somewhere and people watching is entertaining for hours
>>
>>17429303
For reference I have lived in the suburbs all my life and have gone into NYC countless times so take my advice with a grain of salt because I have a very negative view of city folk

if you are going to college then just focus your social life on the college, don't walk slow, don't be a shady fuck if you are going to hold doors and smile, ignore people who are extra arrogant who might write you off due to your accent that I assume you have, people are more arrogant than normal in general and act a bit colder however they are friendly still. As for neighborhoods I can't remember much off the top of my head but it depends on the college. answer this guy: >>17429491

also don't call it the big apple thats just autistic, and baseball is big here, far bigger than football or any other sport.
>>
>>17429491
Columbia
>>
>>17429667
Thank you! This is really reassuring actually.
>>
>>17429821
>going to a $65,000 a year college
Jésus Christo, congrats on getting into an elite school but I really hope you have rich parents or an assload of scholarships otherwise this was a mistake.

Anyway as others have said I wouldn't be too worried about coming to NYC, its a really amazing place that I think has an unfairly poor reputation. It's one of the safest cities in North America so crime is not really a problem as long as you use your head (always keep an eye on where you're going so you don't mindless walk up to a corner where a drug deal or something is going on, if you don't like the way something looks just turn around and find another way, don't ever try to engage with tough guys just keep moving, don't zone out listening to music or shove your head in your cell phone while walking down the street) it has a bad reputation for people being rude and overly cold, but I think that's not quite right. People in NY are just very focused on whatever it is they're doing, its not that they're rude, so don't take offense. As for getting around the subways its not so hard, there are maps in every station and in every train car. Plus if you do get a bit confused and miss your station (something that happens to everyone when they're new) its not a big deal, you just switch to a train going the opposite direction. The subways run 24 hours a day so you never have to worry about getting stuck, though if you're riding at 0300 you might have to wait 20 minutes or more for a train, but one will come eventually.

The main thing though is that New York is the cultural capital of north america, so make use of that fact. The best culture sites you'll want to see right away are the american museum of natural history, the metropolitan museum of art, and the bronx zoo.

If you're going to be living on campus I'm sure there will be many group outings set up by the student union that you should take advantage of, those+clubs are great ways to meet new people.
>>
Additionally Columbia itself is in upper manhattan and kind of a world unto itself, I'm sure you've already visited it but its kind of its own enclosed little thing inside a built up neighborhood.

Anyway if you wanted to meet up with a fellow anon once you get to NY I could show you some of the sites and a few cool places to go. I'm FAVelour on steam if you wanted to add me.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.