[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever since I was a stupid little baby I've been obsessed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_170810870.jpg (52KB, 594x325px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_170810870.jpg
52KB, 594x325px
Ever since I was a stupid little baby I've been obsessed with science, specifically zoology (and even more specifically, marine biology). I would study the habits of animals with a literally autistic fervency. Anyways, as the years have gone by, my interests have shifted a little bit, but they have always focused on one overall objective; I want to be a scientist. Early on, I was dead-set on zoology or marine biology, due to my passion for animals. In about eighth grade, I became very interested in biotechnology, and settled on that, while still remaining invested in zoology. Early on in high school, I became relatively interested in healthcare with a focus on biology, and after taking an introductory chemistry class and several health science classes, I figured that biomedical engineering would be one of the best subjects for me. In eleventh grade, I took AP Chemistry and AP Environmental Science, and I realized that chemistry is fucking boring and I am not interested in it at all. However I loved and was very passionate about the AP Environmental course. I am going off to college very soon, and I need to settle on a major. I honestly still have no idea what I want to be; I still retain my passion for marine biology and the environment, but it seems that there aren't many breakthroughs in the fields, and I want to be able to be in a field that is constantly evolving. I don't give a shit about the money or anything; I just want to be able to learn while I work, and also do something I am passionate about. What majors are out there that would allow me to do multiple jobs in the science fields? I was thinking about double majoring in Environmental Science and Biology, but I'm not really sure what to do, and I need to make a decision soon.
>>
What about CS and Biology? Bioinformatics is one of those hot fields that's always hiring and you can do informatics for marine biology
>>
>>17426342
My father has a CS career and my brother has been working at a degree for it, and I can't say I'd be very interested. I've spent days with my father at work and have watched my brother do coursework and it isn't really something I feel I could get super passionate about
>>
>>17426359
Hmmmm, well, I suppose it's not neccessary

I know what you mean though, jobs in strict, basic biology are hard to come by. You don't have to do full CS, but you can get a normal biology degree and learn to code a little. That will open your job opprotunities after graduation

Healthcare research is also also hiring, doesn't require chem or too much programming, and it's basically still research
>>
>>17426370
What kind of opportunities? That could be kind of interesting. I have access to coding books from family, and am not opposed to learning a few languages, as long as it doesn't require like a major in the field. Are there any careers that integrate CS, bio, and enviro/oceanography together, and are they in demand?
>>
>>17426383
In bioinformatics, basically they need someone with some background in biology and can work with database and write scripts. Not the theoretical stuff that CS students do, it's all applied

Most unis will have medical bioinformatics department. They'll usually use wet lab data and make some models or networks

traditional biological informatics will sometimes make models of how animals move around forests in response to climate change or whatever

healthcare informatics will usually mine hospital data to find out patterns of people with various diseases

Department of Defense does a fancy computer of that sort of thing in their naval department, I remember reading about that
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.