[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a "professional poker player" an actual job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: soccer.webm (196KB, 324x180px) Image search: [Google]
soccer.webm
196KB, 324x180px
Is being a "professional poker player" an actual job? I'm worried that my friend is becoming addicted to gambling and poker, and is using that as an excuse. Last year, he started playing poker once a month or so, just for fun, but now he's doing it so much.

> spends 4 days a week playing poker
> sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, it's +/- $1000 each day
> enters poker competitions, he does okay at them
> hasn't really talked to anyone since becoming a "semi-professional poker player"

What should I do as a friend? Should I discourage him from ruining his life from a gambling addiction?Or should I encourage him to follow his dreams of being a poker player?
>>
>>17426277
Well,I have a friend like this and weirdly it's exactly the same shit.

I think poker players tends to loose grip on reality. In the case of my friend, he threw away one full year of college (law last year, so that suck) for the sake of online gambling. That suck so much and you can't say anything to him.
>>
>>17426314
Is there anything I can do for him? Or give him a present? Maybe I could give him a video game and that would take his mind off of gambling.
>>
Bump ...
>>
Bump??
>>
Hello?
>>
Sit him down, and have a talk with him about the numbers. If he can't earn that kind of money that he wants, persuade him that it's a waste of time.
>>
>>17426277
How is he doing at the end of the month?
Is he living a normal life outside of the +-EV?

It can be a job. A fun job. But he needs to stay in control.
And protip: a gambling addict won't be able to pay rent playing poker.
>>
>>17426339
Playing vidya has a negative estimated value.
He's already spending too much time on a screen, give him something non-computer related.
>>
>>17426732
>>17426741
He's taken a 6 month long "vacation" to Las Vegas to play poker. I don't know his financial situation, but I believe he has significant savings and hasn't used them all up yet. He says he wants to use poker to supplement his income.

>>17426742
Hmm, I know! I'll mail him a book. That might take his mind off of poker. Maybe a fun adventure book
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.