[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get some advice for the gre? I haven't taken a standardized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: gre-books-500x272.jpg (36KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
gre-books-500x272.jpg
36KB, 500x272px
Can I get some advice for the gre?

I haven't taken a standardized test since I was like 15 and I am a little nervous.
>>
What did you get on the SAT or ACT?

>Because you will get very close to the same percentiles in the GRE....
>>
File: Manglish-Slumber.png (35KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
Manglish-Slumber.png
35KB, 600x700px
When I took it, there was a strange emphasis on (essentially) asking if some function was true on the entire number line, and hoping I'd forget that you can't divide by zero.
>>
Also, there was a lot of "what error does this argument make?" questions, with answer choices like "modus ponens" or "argument from authority".
>>
Get one of the big workbooks and do all the practice questions in the book. Ideally, you would find one that has online resources. I used the Kaplan book with the online resources and it was pretty good.

Here's the product I used:

https://www.amazon.com/GRE-Premier-2017-Practice-Tests/dp/1506203221/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Mine was the 2016 version, but should basically be the same shit.

I ended up in the 97th percentile for Verbal and 93rd percentile for analytical writing, but my quant was mediocre because I didn't really care about that section.
>>
>>17425695

Never took em. I went from a community college and transferred to a university.

The only standardized tests I have ever taken were California stuff for writing and such.

>>17425742

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Kaplan was the same company which made the books that my wife used for the mcat, I remember her saying she liked them.
>>
>>17425769
Another resource that helps is http://www.majortests.com/

I didn't really touch the quant portions, but the verbal portions had challenging vocab and reading comprehension. I felt that the questions on that site were more challenging than the other resources, so if you want a leg up then it should help to master them.
>>
>>17425707

Awesome. My undergrad was in cs, I can spit out logical analysis as though I were telling you my life story.

>>17425783

Thank you very much, that looks like it will be helpful.
>>
>>17425690
Practice timing yourself for the writing section. I did great on the reading and math, but fucked up the writing section hard so I had to retake it. It's easy to waste time doing a "perfect" intro and having an awful set of body paragraphs.
>>
>>17425806
Not OP, but I actually found that 30 minutes was plenty of time for the writing section. I was able to write out some nice essays with some finishing touches with time to spare, and got a 5.0 (93%) with little trouble. Could've been a 6.0 if I had put just a little more thought into the first essay, but I'll take the 5.
>>
>>17425817
Some people are faster than others. My point was if you wing it going in you might find yourself in trouble.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.