[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have an understanding of Facebook's algorithms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 1573988.jpg (153KB, 658x900px) Image search: [Google]
1573988.jpg
153KB, 658x900px
Anyone have an understanding of Facebook's algorithms?
If someone is on top of your chat friends list and Facebook keep sending you reminders of their birthday does that mean i am one of the people who she interacts with most and vice versa?
I got a notification I had never seen before, something along the lines of "___'s birthday was yesterday. Would you like to give them a belated birthday post?"
>>
>>17425274
When i had facebook there were people i never talked to on the chat list, i have no idea how it works.
>>
>>17425304
Yeah I see that as well, but this girl hasn't left the top of my chat list for months.
>>
>>17425344
She obviously loves you, ask her out.
>>
>>17425360
I don't think life is that simple man.
She's in a close friendship group and I'm scared to rock the boat.
>>
>>17425274
>>17425274
it will send birthday reminders from anyone in your friends list that has their birthday in their profile and is public. has nothing to do with chat frequency. that same notice went to all the other guys and girls in her friend list
>>
>>17425274
>Anyone have an understanding of Facebook's algorithms?
I'm not sure that even Facebook has an understanding of Facebook's algorithms.
>>
>>17425388
I know that about birthdays, but I've gotten things pop up almost a month before about creating an event for her birthday, and I'd never seen the thing about sending a belated birthday wish since I normally ignore posting on peoples walls for their birthday.
These seem like rare notifications so I'm asking about them. I mean, when you see the popup on the feed about "thought you wouldn't want to miss the chance to wish ___ happy birthday" that means facebook thinks you two are close, right? I'm wondering how close.
>>
>>17425383
I was being sarcastic. I don't use Facebook, but I'm fairly certain (((mark zuckerberg))) doesn't know if girls have feelings for you.
>>
>>17425426
You can extrapolate a lot with the amount of empirical data facebook has.
>>
>>17425434
OK then. Ask her out, see how it goes. Either you'll be right, or I'll be right. Let us know what happens.
>>
>>17425416
it assumes you know each other not that you are close. Belated birthday notices usually happen if she updated her profile and added her birthday and it recently passed so it will send a notification to EVERYONE in her friend list. Stop trying to twist this so you can believe the algorithm knows she has a secret crush on you
>>
>>17425450
Cheers.
>>
>>17425434
I'll hand it to you OP. This is the first time I've heard a guy go through the mental gymnastics and conclude a facebook algorithm knows a girl has a crush on you before she knows
>>
>>17425466
Keeping myself occupied with shit like this is better than going and doing some other stupid thing in my opinion. Life would be easier if I got over this crush.
>>
>>17425494
or you act on the crush in real life and find out if it's a no or a go
>>
>>17425509
Like I said, she's in a close friend group so I would have to see her almost every day for the rest of the year if it doesn't work out.
>>
>>17425466
This was food for thought in my case though for a while. Facebook could easily know whether you like someone imo. But like
>>17425304 said, the chat list doesn't seem to have to do with what you're suggesting OP.

Anyway, I'd go with the old talk-about-it-in-real-life method. Worst scenario is you simply move on with your life.
>>
>>17425274
>___'s birthday was yesterday. Would you like to give them a belated birthday post?
I had those about people I don't interact at all.
Pretty sure -part- of your side chat is people you chat with the most, but it's people YOU chat the most with, it doesn't mean you're also among their "favourites"

Also, just try to ask her out. Either she agrees or she rejects you, and after she rejects you you'll get over it quick. I also had a crush on a friend in my close group of friends, but after she rejected me it was only awkward for like, one day. If she rejects you just reassure her you're more than fine with being just friends as she's awesome friend also but you just wanted to tell her you're crushing on her because it's better to know whether it's mutual or not, even if the chances for it being mutual were small to begin with. I mean, even if a girl doesn't seem interested in you at all, it's like a lottery, you never know 100% that you gonna lose if you don't buy a ticket
>>
>>17426107
Cheers, that is reassuring.
>>
>>17425274
>If someone is on top of your chat friends list
Then it means you chat with that person the most on your end. Not that you're the bestest of the best buddies for that other person.

The same deal goes for other people on the descending order from the top. Facebook assumes those people are the ones you have strongest ties and then bombards you with additional notifications and shit, like birthdays.
>>
>>17426263
I'm curious if that requires enough reciprocation from the other person as well to trigger it.
>>
Interesting thread OP I have the same problem.

Is there any way to check to see who views your profile? I've heard rumors about certain ways but it's mostly bullshit since names of people I haven't talked to in 6 years have come up.

I just wanna know if this girl thinks about me senpai;_;
>>
>>17426472
I'd suggest dropping that matter. It's just shady apps that implicitly ask you for unusual permissions.
Talk/chat with her and apply your instincts. People have been finding out before facebook so you can do it too
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.