[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought this might encourage some anons. >18th Birthda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: notmyroom.jpg (53KB, 960x584px) Image search: [Google]
notmyroom.jpg
53KB, 960x584px
I thought this might encourage some anons.

>18th Birthday
>I'm a sad, skinny virgin weeaboo playing games in my bedroom and barely making it by in High School
>one month until finished with senior year of high school
>Mom and Dad take me to dinner
>"Anon, we have to talk"
shit.jpg
>"Anon, we know that you only $6k in your checking account after working for two years part time. You spend all your money on vidya and computers. It's time to get a life"
>tell me that I have three months to get a job, apartment, and live on my own
>I did what any normal person would do - panic.

I lived in Seattle, which is expensive as fuck, so I knew I wouldn't be able to live there (much as they wanted me to).

So I walked down the next day to my local community college, registered to take the CompTIA A+ and began studying. It was simple, after wasting years of my life on /g/. I then also took my Red Hat Certified SysAdmin (RHCSA) exam and applied for internships across the nation. I landed one in Texas, bought a plane ticket down there (my uncle lived in Ft. Worth and the job was in Dallas, so it worked well), and found a cheap apartment in Mesquite.

My uncle gave me his daughter's old 2003 Honda Accord to drive, I learned how to cook for myself and save money, and I now have a full time job at said place of internship. I feel a thousand times better. It was a little daunting at first, but after finding some great resources online I made it pretty well.

>http://lifedontpanic.blogspot.com/2011/10/living-on-your-own-things-you-will-need.html

Did any of you anons make a sudden adjustment to normie life?
>>
good on you anon, you manned the fuck up and made the relatively minor adjustment to contributing to society

best part is, you can still play vidya and do all that stuff but you'll be rich enough not to have buyer's remorse about things you buy. You won't be able to vidya ALL THE TIME but that isn't a good thing anyway
>>
>>17420250
also, now comes the hard part of finding a job you enjoy or can easily tolerate so you don't slowly burn out and rely on your free time to make up for work time
>>
>be WoW addict loser
>finally get part time job
>get addicted to that money and take on shifts
>working full time job at that point
>independence came on it's own with a bank account
>i had a car, an apartment, and a job
>it's just a natural progression
>>
>>17420160
>two years part-time
>6k in bank account is too little
>been working full time for a year
>hover around 2k in the checking account
Am I really that bad?
>>
Being serious I just stopped going on /r9k/

Was in /r9k/ from 1 pm till 3 in the morning every day. Not even joking. Grades dropped. Girlfriend and I broke up. Hated myself and my life. Stopped going, got into college, got a 12 an hour job and grades are great(except pesky math). Only real thing I need to fix now is getting things done around the house and getting a licence/gf.
>>
> 18 years old
> Decide to move away from parents
> Go in a different country
> At first live with family aunt
> fast forward 2 years
> working full time job and part time as additional
> Have friends, joking around a gf
> Applied for credit to buy my own apartment
> Currently living alone, paying rent, bills and everything
> Seems hard but will survive
> 22 now
>>
>>17420306
Full time and paying bills is different than part time and mommy paying for your pizza.

I just had 3k in my bank account then had an unplanned trip to Texas, followed by two car repairs, and now another one pending. So, I'm down to maybe 100 bucks after I pay rent, which I forgot to mail yesterday.
>>
>>17420332
>>17420306
budgeting is really important on your own.
figure out how much spending money you have per month after ALL bills and essential expenses (average food costs, gas costs)
track as much of your spending as you can, saying what you bought when and for how much, i use evernote.
subtract each purchase from your monthly budget.
also, hold back about %30 of that each month, so you're constantly accruing money

really what i should do is get a second debit card in its own account, and drop my monthly budget ($800) in there at the start of the month and just use that to pay for stuff.

>this way i have a known budget and i'm ALWAYS saving up $400 a month no matter what, so $4800
>>
when I moved out I couldn't stand it and bailed after 9 months.

fucking apartments are shite when you have noisy neighbours
>>
>>17420306
If OP was making $7.50/hr and working part time w/ no living expenses, he theoretically could have had ~$12,000 saved. So he really did need to curb spending and get a job.

On a side note, having 3-6 months of living expenses saved up on the side would be a very good goal. I tossed mine into a savings account as my "emergency fund" and only use it for emergencies not budgeted in - tires, medical, etc.
>>
>>17420250
Thanks! I still do play some Steam games from time to time on my Thinkpad, but I've found that I enjoy reading and fishing after work, neither of which I ever did back home.
>>
Wow this thread made me feel useless

I'm 22, have no savings, will be homeless in a few weeks and can't do shit about it really
>>
>>17420508
yes you can anon
>>
>>17420511
If I can, please tell me how. I wake up every morning ready to vomit. I can't find a single job, and I can't even go to college. All I have is my shitty-part time
>>
>Did any of you anons make a sudden adjustment to normie life?

My mom keept sending me emails about apartments until eventually i signed up for one of them just to get her to shut up.
>>
>be obese grill
>get dumped for being obese
>stay single for 4 years, longing for attention but not getting even a glance because of obesity
>Depressed, believing that notion of "I'll never lose weight, its too hard, whine piss moan."
>Resolve to kill myself, but too chicken shit.
>Say fuck it, if I'm going to kill myself anyways I might as well do it by getting thin.
>become anorexic
>weight flies off
>Benefit of this was I learned how to control myself, gave me power over myself, and that alone felt good.
>Slight confidence boost as dudes begin to notice me again, at least I can get a chubby chaser ONS at least once a year.
>Gives me hope for future, decide to start looking into where I want to be in the future.
>Eventually start to realize although the weight loss made me feel good, as long as I have a fucking mental disorder no dudes gonna wanna stick around.
>Be me now, 20lbs from my end goal, still shaking some of the bad habits, still getting anxious from time to time about eating, but in a much healthier state of mind than I ever was.

And that's how an eating disorder ironically gave me the first push into bettering myself and making my life worth living. Sure it wasn't the best path to go down, but I'd most definitely be dead by now if I hadn't. I think of it this way, I had to hit rock bottom before I could work on climbing back up, but people seem to forget that when you start to climb, you aren't instantly back on top. I had to climb back through bad shit to get back out, but it progressively got better and better.
It was all part of the journey.
>>
File: nAO03CL.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
nAO03CL.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>17420566
Damn that's crazy. Glad to hear you're leading a healthier lifestyle now.

My story:
>drop out of HS at 18 due to anxiety and depression
>get GED and decide I will live on minimum wage for the rest of my days
>decide I want to move to Germany
>spend 3 months there looking for a job or education
>GED not recognized in Germany, nobody wants me
>just adds fuel to the fire, head back to the states
>finish HSD at a "special" school
>take SAT
>learn German while sending applications out and working part time
>through persistence, luck, and connections I get a letter to take an entrance test
>fly to Germany a month later
>study for and pass entrance test
>spend a year at the preparatory college working my ass off, finish with great grades
>get job
>get gf
>start studying compsci
>realize after end of first semester gf just drags me down
>break it off with gf, work my ass off during second semester
>currently in the exam phase of the second semester
>everything looking good so far

Because I did a foreign exchange when I was 16 I had some connections in Germany and they helped me quite a bit, so lot of it was luck. I can admit that. But I wouldn't have gotten anywhere had I not worked my ass of.

Fuck I want this so bad. I want a life here so fucking bad. I will not give up. I've been here for 2.5 years and I still have the feeling I'm going to fuck it up somehow. I guess all I can do is keep giving everything. KEEP FUCKING TRYING.
>>
>>17420306
Living on your own? Also, I feel like you should probably know if you're doing well or not. If you find yourself frequently buying things other than food, you should probably investigate.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.