[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im going to college soon and i want to ask how are engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1424040826393.jpg (1MB, 1795x709px) Image search: [Google]
1424040826393.jpg
1MB, 1795x709px
Im going to college soon and i want to ask how are engineering majors and comp science majors? Im interested im computers and building things. Is it true that these pay well or enough to get away from my parents? I hear being an engineer is hard to make a living off of because you constantly work. Im really nervous because i dont want to fail or have regrets into which major i get into and have to go back with my parents.
>>
>>17418778
Bump
>>
>>17418778
Bump
>>
Pls help
>>
>>17418778

Anyone?
>>
Mechanical Engineer 2001 grad.

.. first job out of college.. aerospace industry $56k per year designing part for missiles and smart bombs.

5 years later jumped ship the marine industry designing yachts for very wealth people (mega millionaires/bilionares) yacht range in price from 50-300 million dollars.?

8 years latter back in aerospace industry $120,000 per as a senior engineer making parts for a European plane manufacturer...

Very good at what I do, but you would know it by looking at my grades...
>>
>>17418904
I'll help you as someone in their 4th year of Mechanical Engineering.
You won't regret doing Mechanical Engineering, by far the breeziest field of engineering with knowledge you can use pretty much immediately and can visualize it.
I don't know who told you you can't make a living off engineering, they're full of shit.

You don't have to get a job as an Engineer, at my University part of the degree involves business management which is intended to provide you with support when working on large projects, so you don't have to use your Engineering degree exclusively for Engineering.
Alternatively you can take that Major and join your military as an Officer.
>>
Junior in electrical engineering here. Got an internship at intel doing coding, made me realize I fucking hate coding all day and need to do something else. From my limited experience, It's definitely work because you are not working mindlessly ever. It takes focus. Also big corp white collar work is horrifically inefficient and everyone fucks around for most of the day and gets paid for it.
>>
Going to be a junior in electrical engineering/computer sciences & math.

If you can get good internships they pay very very well. I'm making $50/hour at a small startup in Palo Alto. Last year I made about $45/hour in Seattle + free breakfast and lunches. I can pay for most of my tuition and rent during the schoolyear by myself.

I work 40hrs/week, probably less. Same with full time employees, even at larger companies/Big 4.
>>
>>17419069
Adding,
I have friends interning at Google and similar making $60/hour with full housing and meals for paid. In mountain view housing is around $1500/month.
>>
>>17418778

Idk where you're from, but in a big city in California, CS or Engineering majors means instant employment for good pay. You NEED to be getting work experience during college (internships, jobs, research in labs), but you will be instantly employable.
>>
>>17419069

Ok double post, but I'm Paly based too. You go to school there?
>>
>>17419103
nope, I go to Berkeley.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.