[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason I should go to college without knowing what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: lovelive-nicoapartment507.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lovelive-nicoapartment507.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
Is there any reason I should go to college without knowing what I want to do as a career?
>>
>>17416976

The first year or two of college are general education anyways. You can go to school and get an idea of what you'd like to major in after your first semester or two.

I changed majors two years in and still made it out in 4 years.
>>
>>17416979
I've gone for two semesters, though, and I took general education in high school, and I still have no idea what I want. Should I just take a break and do something else with my life until I decide?
>>
I went to college without knowing what to do as a career. I wasted a few thousand dollars and then dropped out because I still had no fuckin idea after a year.
Now I'm 26 and still don't know. I work in a warehouse and it's total shit.

What the fuck is life?
>>
>>17416976
if you are particularly interested in something and good at it and motivated, that's reason enough. if not and you don't even have specific career goals, then it's a bad idea to waste money on college, yeah.
>>
>>17416976
Generally people who go to college don't know what they want to do, and usually you don't need a specific degree to get into a career later on in life (obviously unless you want to become a doctor or lawyer etc). If you're smart and motivated, and are passionate about a subject and want to study it in greater detail, college is a good option. Especially because many careers require you to have a bachelors degree as a minimum entry requirement.

As long as you are truly passionate about a subject and see yourself reading it for 3 years, the endgame doesn't matter.
>>
>>17416976
Get a degree in something that's interesting to you, you can figure out a way to apply that degree to basically any job. For instance, I have a psych degree and I work in cybersecurity
>>
If you have a general idea about what your strengths or interests are, it might be. For one thing there are a lot things like a basic english, math, and humanities that you will likely need no matter what degree you decide to go with.

Part of it is also figuring out what you don't want to do. I dropped out because I decided my intended career path was not a good fit for me. I don't think I could have possibly learned that without going first. Now I'm back at school because i found something I can actually stick with.

If you think something more vocational and less academic would be a better fit then I would say hold off until you're sure about what you want to do. For instance, your training at auto-tech school wouldn't be very useful if you decided you wanted to become a radiographer technologist and take MRIs for people instead.

If you don't see yourself ever getting interested in anything then don't fucking bother. Of course, I think you should definitely consider what I have to say about focusing on your strengths. If you don't have lofty dreams then you should pick something really practical. Accounting is interesting to me, but it's not very exciting or glamorous at all. I picked it because I knew I would be good at it, that I would find it easy, and that people with accounting knowledge will always be in demand due to the very nature of their work(A key principle is the separation of duties to limit the capacity of one person to commit fraud). I happen to enjoy it a lot more than I do working in the service industry, which is a likely spot you will end up if you don't choose anything.
>>
>>17416986

Read >>17417032. Great advice. If you drop out of college now, you're going to be stuck with absolute shit tier jobs, because almost everything requires a degree these days, unless you want to go into a trade, which will still require school. Most people never make it back to college, since you'll be struggling to pay your bills as an adult and making the time for education will be harder and harder.

I wanted to quit school too, and I'm super happy that my parents forced me to the finish line. My life would be shit if I'd done that.
>>
Thank you for all of the advice, everyone. One of my biggest concerns is that I've been a lazy fuck all of college so far so I haven't figured out what I want to do. I'm already taking 6 months off, and I'm considering taking a year off because I want to allow myself some time to research what I want to do for a major. Something that screwed me over is that people in high school never prepared me for this stuff, so I'm still adjusting to it a year and a half later. I'll probably go back once I have the money to at least pay for a semester on my own, so I don't have to think about debt, and actually feel the pain of losing my own money if I fail a class. That way, I feel I'd be more passionate about it.
>>
If it's community college yes because a 2 year degree can help a lot when it comes to getting a job thats not shiity
>>
>>17416976
The only reason you should dont go to collage is that you found a job and want to exceed in it.
You gonna need the money sooner or later and leaving college kicks you out of social groups.
>>
>>17417113
>I haven't figured out what I want to do.
This was me before my degree.
I am still this way after my degree.

I think most people haven't really figured out "What they want to do," because "What do you want to do in life" is a pretty loaded and invalid question that comes out of a very specific Western ideology (i.e. implication that one must select a "career" and succeed in it to be happy/ one must select only one "material" path through life) and isn't actually a philosophical question that leads to any satisfying answer.

Remember that the whole reason you should do anything is to search for, and ultimately find, a true and unshakeable happiness. This is the only "path."

There is no path to happiness through space / material aggregation. Education is merely the aggregation of material knowledge. It is useful to the extent that it can get you a job so you can make enough money to sustain yourself. Never forget this. Education / "Careers" will never bring you deep, fulfilling happiness. You can confirm this if you survey degree holders about the feeling they felt when they received their piece of paper.

Even if it were true that Education is the "Key to Material Success™," which is certainly not always the case, it still does not teach the ways of spiritual understanding. It will never teach the skills required to attain happiness.

That said, I am educated, and it is useful to the extent that it provides a worldly foundation for me to practice spiritually. Beyond that, my job is meaningless to me.
>>
>>17416976
no, especially if you have to take loans
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.