[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there /adv/ I'm going to be studying in the United

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (80KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
80KB, 960x960px
Hi there /adv/

I'm going to be studying in the United States for my postgraduate study. The only problem is that I don't know the subtleties between the various different states. I also live in a small city in New Zealand, and am not used to a large metropolis and dangerous areas. My city has only ~360,000 people in it. That said, I can handle my own.

I am going to be doing a student exchange for my undergraduate study for two trimesters, the university options are:
>American University
>Georgia Institute of Technology
>Penn State University
>Purdue University
>State University of New York at New Paltz
>Texas A&M
>University of California
>University of Montana
>University of Oklahoma
>University of Texas at Austin

Do you anons know which is the best pick in relation to location?

Basically, how can I find out which states are the best, and which ones are ones I should avoid? I'm not really sure where to start, since I know almost nothing about all the various states in themselves. Preferably somewhere with latina qt 3.14's (we don't have them here). There'll be quite a culture shock, especially seeing so many blacks in one place but I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to accidentally go to a Detroit-esque state and get knifed unwittingly.
>>
>>17415171
Those look pretty second tier.

I've heard of Purdue, A&M, and maybe University of California.

What do you study. That makes a huge difference.
America is like bigger than Europe.
Do you want to study in a climate far far colder than yours or far far far far far warmer?

Like shit, go to Texas and your temperate ass will die.
Don't worry about the American negro. Not many of them around universities. And the ones you see there are just like any other.

Are you part Maori or sea monkey? If you're not totally white, Americans get kinda edgy in public. But Uni chicks love it.
Especially your accent. My god, you'll be rolling in it.
If you're mildly in shape, your accent will have you fucking beating off girls.

Anyways, you'll do fine.
You're post grad, so you've accepted that you've ruined your life.
Try not to fuck the students you have as a TA
>>
>>17415171
UC all the way.

Also California generally has mild weather compared to other states, and lots of things to see.
>>
>>17415206
>Those look pretty second tier
Meh, those universities are second tier because they're partnered with a New Zealand university. My postgraduate study, hopefully, will be less second tier.

>What do you study
Biomedical Science

>Do you want to study in a climate far far colder than yours or far far far far far warmer?
Preferably warmer, but the climate isn't too big of a factor for me.

>Are you part Maori or sea monkey?
I'm half white/half Asian

>If you're not totally white, Americans get kinda edgy in public.
Even if you're not black/brown?

>You're post grad, so you've accepted that you've ruined your life. Try not to fuck the students you have as a TA
How have I ruined my life? I need postgraduate to actually get into anything biomedical as undergraduate is meme tier. Also what do you mean by TA?
>>
>>17415226
Forgot to add, California has tons of latlatinaa lot of them Mexicans or from central America. If you want less Mexicans try Florida or NY.
>>
>>17415231
Happa, eh?

You remember Elliot Rodgers? Shot some people because he was half Asian and women wouldn't accept him.

Forget that. I'm sure that's one time thing.

TA=Teacher's Assistant. Post grads usually work that while they get their stipend. It means grading papers or running tutorials. The shit that real profs are too good for.

Biomed, honestly, is pretty good. If you go all the way, you'll get a job, eventually.

Cali looks good. Berkeley has practically a 100 Nobel laureates.
And the climate won't be too warm.
Don't doubt the climate.
You temperate folks don't know pain until touching an object in the sun will literally burn you.
Water boils in the sun.

Go to Texas and find out.
>>
>>17415206
>You're post grad, so you've accepted that you've ruined your life.

Most of the worthwhile career options require a PhD
>>
>>17415247
>Elliot Rodgers
I kek'd after I did that post realising that I forgot to include that meme. I'm afraid I'm not a supreme gentleman, so I doubt I will cause any happenings.
>>
>>17415263
>Most of the worthwhile career options require a PhD
Yeah like 1/1000 of postgrads.
The world is oversaturated with them.
Unless you're going to medical school, the likelihood of an academic PhD finding you a job is very low.

About 30 years ago, every kid was told they need to go to college to get a job.
Now they're all graduating with PhDs.
And you know what?
We never needed that many.
>>
>>17415263
>>17415269
I just want to get into research, money isn't a problem.
>>
>>17415281
How many undergrad intern positions have you had as a researcher?
>>
>>17415281
>>17415290
None yet, I'm first year. This thread is just planning in advance.
>>
>>17415294
Wait you're just an undergrad?
Jeez, you made it sound like you were going to be on food stamps and busking on the corner.

If you're undergrad, fucking bust your ass to get lab assistant positions.
Grades matter shit compared to actual experience
>>
>>17415171
>>17415171

Not sure what some of these people are saying, but Georgia Tech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UT Austin are vastly superior to the rest of the schools on that list, in terms of academic reputation. If you really do have a choice, pick one of those, for your career if nothing else.

Berkeley and Austin are both nice places to live, Berkeley having a much colder climate of the two.

>>17415306
>Grades matter shit compared to actual experience

Only true if you're looking for a job, if you want to get into a good research program they matter equally.
>>
>>17415171
All these are very large universities - 30,000 students and more.
Except possibly for UT Austin, all are in or next to small towns,so there will be a very sharp town/gown divide - the town very unsophisticated, probably politically conservative, so that all your social/intellectual/cultural life will be campus-based.
>>
Welcome to the states!

I think you're a little confused about dangerous areas in the US. I know you hear a lot about mass shootings in this county, but let me assure, it's just as safe as any other developed nation. We have laws and police will be at any location with just a phone call.

Some inner cities may have gang violence, but that genre is as old as the country and violence on the streets are everywhere. The dangers of inner city NY would be the same as Sydney Australia. You're gonna have crazed creepers at every street corner in the world...but its not going to be any different here than what you're used too. Just keep close to your friends while venturing dark street corners and keep your cell handy. Aside from that, you have nothing to worry about.

No boogey man is gonna jump out and get you lol.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.