[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in a rough spot at the moment. My family and I had been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1469292034826.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469292034826.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
I'm in a rough spot at the moment. My family and I had been homeless for the month of February of this year due to various issues and circumstances that can all be traced back to bad money management. For a month we toiled to and fro trying to find a temporary place to live and finally we landed two rooms for us due to some people taking pity.

Fast forward a few months and I'm trying to get a hold on our financial situation by consciously allocating our funds appropriately to our needs and making sure we don't overspend. So far its working out for me but when I try to convince my dad and his wife (my stepmother) to start managing their funds they blow me off even after I showed them their wanton spending habits.

As gently as I could I pointed out to them where they could cut costs and how they could better spend their time to improve their situation and yet they still ignored me.

For instance, my dad's wife's spending last month had 20% of it be donations to the church she frequents. On top of that, both parents spend all their free time at their church. Now I'm not a fedora tipper but I'm extremely irate that they frequent it nearly 7 days a week to the point where they ignore everything else. I implored them to reconsider their priorities (and after a certain event their church's pastor argued in similar fashion) to set their financial record on track and yet they continue to brush me off.

I see no other recourse for them but they constantly ignore my supplications and end up misspending their money. At this rate we all might end up being homeless again. We already lost most of our belongings due to other issues.

At this point I'm thinking of just moving out and graduating from college (I've got 2 years left) because I can't deal with their poor choices (on top of my dad's wife being a general cunt overall). I feel like I'm abandoning my family in their time of need though. What do you think /adv/? Is it good idea? Am I being a dick for moving out?
>>
>>17412768
A bit of other information:

I'm 21 years old college student I live with my folks because its cheaper and I can be there for my siblings (whom my dad almost blatantly ignores). I work part-time and pay my fair share of bills (rent, utilities, etc).
>>
You're the child and they are the patents. You tried to help, they rejected your offers. You can't save someone that doesn't want to be saved.

You can leave with your head held high. Finish school, get yourself a nice place and keep your door open for your siblings
>>
Irrationally religious people have no common sense, this should be no surprise.

Move out ASAP, and leave them knowing you tried to help.
>>
>>17412768
You are the child, not the parent.
Their actions are forcing you to act like you're the wise and mature one in the relationship - that's parentification, If you can remove yourself from the situation it would be advised you do!
You aren't abandoning them, they have already abandoned you. They are the ones that should show some leadership in an emergency, where is it?
>>
>>17412782
>>17412793
I feel I'm mostly abandoning my dad who has had a rough childhood. He was an orphan and maltreated as a child by his adopted family (who were extended family ironically). The guy's had it it tough and I just don't want it to seem as if his son doesn't care for him. I merely wish to help.
>>17412792
I wouldn't say my dad is irrational rather merely beaten down from years of emotional neglect and who wishes to attach himself to anything that can fulfill that role.
His wife on the other hand I would tentatively agree with. She can be manipulative and blatantly coy and offensively shallow at times. She'll right you off immediately if your views don't agree with hers.
>>
>>17412807
Still, he's now the one in charge.
What would you do if he doesn't, take charge yourself? That doesn't work, it will just turn the whole family against you.
As the child your only alternative is to get the fuck away from them. Consider yourself lucky you have a stable job and can afford to do it without creating an even worse mess.

You can't save your parents from themselves. They're adults, they'll live the consequences of their actions.

You're an adult too, but as the son your role falls under their authority - not really by law, but it's how human relationships work, they'll never follow your leadership, so if you can't stand theirs... the only option is to leave.
>>
>>17412856
Yeah. I suppose you're right. I've been constantly debating with myself what the right thing to do was. I suppose this is for the best.
>>
>>17412768
"Dad and Stepmom, I've come to realize that I am a burden on you right now, both financially and emotionally, so I'm going to live at school this term. You know that I do have some ideas on how you could handle some of your money problems, but I am not going to be so disrespectful as to try and force them on you. If you decide you want my help, I'll be there to give it, but I'll wait until you ask."
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.