[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm writing a cover letter for a job posted on Linked In.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 1373688898666.png (403KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1373688898666.png
403KB, 500x376px
I'm writing a cover letter for a job posted on Linked In. What should the salutation be if I'm 80% sure of the recipient's name? Apparently "To whom it may concern" doesn't cut it anymore but the job was just posted by the company and not by a person.

The description says "Supports VP of HR" and there's only 1 person on LinkedIn with that title, so I'm pretty confident that she's the one, but it could be the case that someone who works under her is going to be the recipient. What should i do?
>>
You contact the organisation and ask who you should address your cover letter to. It shows you're interested in the job, plus it means you don't have to address it generically or address it to the wrong person. Two birds, one stone
>>
>>17410819
Contact the company and ask who the VP of HR is.

Or write "To Blahblah McBlahblah or other HR Representative" maybe?

Either way, you don't want to write down that person's name, and later find out that they quit the job last year and didn't update their Linkedin page.
>>
>>17410834
>>17410835
Okay, this is a good idea. Thank you, I'll try it.
>>
>>17410846
It's freaking common sense.
>>
>>17410848
y-you too...
>>
Doesn't Linkedin show who posted that req?

Address it to that person, they're the one most likely to be screening it.
>>
>>17410858
Not always. I've only ever seen profiles attached to job postings if a recruiter posted the listing. Otherwise you only get the company, and often times not even that.
>>
>>17410858
Just now noticed not all of them show it.

Still, I guarantee the VP of HR isn't going to be the person screening the apps.
>>
>>17410868
Fuck, I messed up my first post. I meant to say they're likely to not be screening it.
>>
>>17410819
The salutation is not what's going to make or break your application. You're worrying way too much about this.
>>
>>17410892
>The salutation is not what's going to make or break your application.
Addressing it to the wrong person can fuck you over. Have you never had a job or something?
>>
>>17410892
When the salutation/closing is right, people don't notice. But you bet your ass they notice when it's wrong.
>>
>>17410819
If you are unsure or cant get the info a Dear Sir/Madam is fine. Worked in recruitment before and outside of greeting with the wrong name, a normal generic greeting of most forms is fine.

As has been said, the body of the email is what will make it as well as your cv compatabilty.
>>
>>17410910
>>17410931
Here's the reality: you don't know who's going to open and screen this shit. A generic address covers that and works fine. It's not going to "offend" anyone. What employers give a fuck about are finding the best qualified candidates, not whether or not an applicant can guess who in the organization is going to be handling the applicant screening.
>>
>>17411109
But here's the thing: no one's expecting anyone to guess. It's literally as simple as calling or emailing and asking. I've sometimes been told to address it to a specific person, and I've sometimes been told to address it to 'the Recruitment Team'. You have nothing to lose by asking.
>>
>>17411117
That's not a normal thing to do and makes you look like you're probably mentally ill.
>>
>>17411124
>That's not a normal thing to do
Uh, yes it is? Do you live in some sort of topsy-turvy world or something?
>>
In all honesty, most people who screen resumes don't even care for cover letters.

It's such a waste of time for the person receiving it to read all of it. I'm already skimming through your resume and now I have to read your cover letter? No. I'm not even skimming the cover letter. It's appreciated it, but save yourself the time.

I've gotten phone screens and onsites from well known tech companies and I didn't even write a cover letter.

For non-profit stuff or government shit, yeah do that.
>>
>>17410834
>>17411117
But who do you address that email to?
>>
>>17411138
I usually start off "hi there" if there isn't someone's name attached to the email address

>>17411137
It really depends on the field, it's a blanket assumption to say that cover letters don't matter. It also varies from organisation to organisation, so I wouldn't take the risk and write a shitty cover letter because 'they won't read it'. A cover letter tells you a lot about a person, and depending on the job, it could make or break your application
>>
Not op, but how do you land an office job, a friend of mine say I should go for it and wish she she had done the same when she was applying for jobs. now

>major is pharmacy
>just CC no FAGSA
>no scholarship so no money to o to pharm school
>ok guess il be pharmtech but wait you need to register
why couldn't i get a career I could just go straight into after CC
>>
>>17411567
>>just CC no FAGSA
i wish i knew what this meant
i assume cc is community college but i don't know what the other thing is
>>
>>17411580
its fafsa
>>
>>17411138
"Dear Madam/Sir"
>>
>>17411595
Also, the generic closing is "Kind regards"
>>
>>17411567
Look up data entry or administrative assistant.

That is the most basic basic office job.
>>
>>17411607
ok thank you, but what should I put on my resume
my resume has about 4-5 random jobs and only one of them might be relevant.
threst is either janitor, promoter or customer service.
>>
>>17411614
this is a really poorly thought out question.

Post your resume, remove identifying information (e.g. name, phone number, address, etc) and then we can advise you

also start a new thread, i only came in because the OP had a basic question but it had 20 responses so i wasn't sure what was going on
>>
>>17411614
I'd go with promoter and customer service. Shows that you're customer orientated.

Include if you're able to use any Google Apps or Microsoft Office Suite.
>>
>>17411607
working in a call center or customer support is also something you can do, you only need to have a pulse

nowhere to move up in call centers, though. not a career, just a job
>>
>>17411624
I can use word and PP(easy), outlook(did it before but would need a crash course and excel(wont even touch the thing. would that be a problem?

and I speak english and creole ive been practicing to speak spansih but im still on episode 14 on pimsluer
>>
>>17411636
ive seen call centers on movies and tv show and good god they look depressing. and I dont even like it when my own mom rings my phone, but I will keep it mind
>>
>>17411636
>nowhere to move up in call centers, though. not a career, just a job
Depends on the call centre. Call centres for banks can make a career, for example
>>
You should actually put down the most recent work experience you have had, otherwise there will be temporal gaps in your resume which would make it look like you've been unemployed for lengths of time. You can bring up older relevant work experience at interview.
>>
>>17411655
This. The whole "only put relevant work experience" is for people who have had a lifetime of work experience. For people who are just getting started with their careers, it's perfectly acceptable to put everything down, you just need to play up the skills and competencies that relate to the job you're applying for
>>
>>17411638
literally just lie

if you get an interview offer and you have no idea how to use excel just go to your library and pick up an excel guidebook
>>
>>17411694
>>17411655
>>17411624
i wanted ask wheres the kinda office job where you laze around and pretend work when the boss come work or dont have to work as hard like maybe 1-3 hrs of actual worka dn the rest of time just chillig and watchin youtube videos,netflix or pplaying LOL
>>
>>17411852
That's not an actual job, stop thinking that TV is real life.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.