[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pick up an instrument 9 months ago >probably the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fk.jpg (5KB, 184x174px) Image search: [Google]
fk.jpg
5KB, 184x174px
>pick up an instrument 9 months ago
>probably the most difficult instrument i could have picked
>love everything about it, but not that good because of how hard it is
>used to practice every day for an hour but now i have a hard time even picking it up due to demotivation
>know i should go practice now but i feel some kind of internal resistance
>i really want to get better

any advice?
>>
>>17408600
Why are you playing the instrument? Is it a requirement for something or is it a hobby?

If it's just a hobby, there's no point in pushing it every day. You can just drag it out over your several remaining years. That's what I'm doing with drawing. When I have the time, I learn a little bit about a technique or so. In terms of getting good at it, I'm in no hurry, so I don't draw 20 things a day or whatever.

On the other hand, you could try thinking of all the cool shit you could play by learning this instrument thoroughly, in the same way that I wonder if I could draw really good stuff if I practiced every day. See the thing is, I don't feel a huge regret for not being able to draw at that level. I don't know if you will feel the same, Anon.
>>
>>17408610
thanks for the response. i am also learning just as a hobby, mainly because i wanted a skill.

unfortunately, i do feel a lot of regret for not being better. i really want to be able to play beautiful songs, but the path to get to that level of ability is extremely arduous.

it's the feeling of desperately wanting to be able to run a marathon when you can't even run a mile. you know how painful and how much work it will be to get to that point, and it starts to seem like it's not worth it.
>>
>>17408623
Exercise is not a good analogy here, because you do feel better despite how difficult the path is.

I was thinking of picking up piano again (I never did, again, maybe later, when I can actually pay for lessons)
and I asked my intro to music professor what I should know about it. He said there was a long period where he felt like there was a "plateau" and he didn't seem to get any better with practice. Like he could play some Mozart, but we all know that's just a tip of the iceberg.

Then, one day, he started seeing improvement again. And more and more, until he could perform nice pieces on big stages and write his own music.

So you're kinda out of luck here if you want some benchmark to encourage you. It may very well look like there are points where you don't know if you are progressing or not.
>>
>>17408722
it looks like i'll have to tough it out and fight satisfaction in small victories

what makes me feel uneasy is the fact that i just threw my chicken bones and got this

>You are ignoring a clear and present danger to your well-being.

>If this threat emanated from a heavy-handed oppressor, you would see it coming.

>But this danger comes to you in the form of a seduction, an amusement, a diversion, an indulgence that is eating away at the fiber of your secure little world.

>You are too cocksure.

>You underestimate the tribute this dalliance will demand.

kill me
>>
Welcome to depression.

Enjoy not wanting to do anything you know you ought to do.
>>
I'm an accomplished guitarist and something I'm sure of is the best mindstate for learning is being sad. Not depressed or anxious, just sad. If you're chipper you will be complacent and easily distracted.

Go listen to some smiths songs or experience a death in the family and you'll see what I mean!
>>
French Horn?
>>
>>17410761
i actually 100% agree with this, when i first started i was incredibly sad and it was easy to dedicate myself to the instrument

now that i'm in a better spot, it's hard to find the time for it

>>17410769
harder
https://youtu.be/F_F--RNMMfo?t=344
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.