[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Steam friend that I've met IRL is going through some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1463264019085.jpg (439KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
1463264019085.jpg
439KB, 1280x956px
>Steam friend that I've met IRL is going through some really bad shit
>We've known each other for years and are really close, so I try my best to cheer them up
>They tell me that they're more or less okay
>Friend is more or less always online but isn't right now
>Get worried because they have a history of depression and have talked about suicide in the past
>Add one of their Steam friends I know they're also close with (someone I've talked with in the past) to ask them if my friend is actually okay or not
>They basically tell me to fuck off and mind my own business
>Get offended and leave

I felt pretty pissed off about it so I described the above situation to one of my other friends and they told me that what I did is super fucking creepy. I didn't even realise this type of thing would be considered creepy. I honest to God thought I was doing the right thing, because I'm worried about my friend.

But now that I realise what I did is creepy I feel awful because of how socially inept I am. I'm one of THOSE people. One of THOSE people that does creepy shit and steps over boundaries they shouldn't.

How do I learn some social skills or whatever so I know what's appropriate or not? How do I stop being like this?
>>
Practice.
How long have you been out and meeting new people? How often does those people actually feel bad and you don't know how to help?...

It's all about practice and being empathic. If the troubles concerns the person, you should talk to the person about it, not other people.

Making mistakes is fine, speccialy when well intended. What I saw on your post is that you feel very awkward socially, not that you are awkward socially.

Anyway, if you want to learn how to be good with people, there are MANY books about it. I myself read one called The Way of the Superior Man and it helped me out a lot to know some social behaviours and how to act in certain situations, including when there's no one but me in the room.

What I can say now is, it's not a big deal what you did. It wasn't the best, yes, but it wasn't bad. And also that you should talk to someone you trust about this need for feeling more sociable you have, like psychologist, per say.

GL GL.
>>
>>17406776
It's not creepy. That person you added and your friend are probably just clinically insane.
>>
Does sound creepy to me but it depends on how you communicate your concern to their other friend. Might have been taken up wrong.
>>
>>17406787
>How long have you been out and meeting new people? How often does those people actually feel bad and you don't know how to help?...
Very often but most of the people I talk to are depressed NEETs from 4chan.

>Anyway, if you want to learn how to be good with people, there are MANY books about it. I myself read one called The Way of the Superior Man and it helped me out a lot to know some social behaviours and how to act in certain situations, including when there's no one but me in the room.
I've got money to spare so I think I'll pick up a copy off of eBay. Thank you.

>What I can say now is, it's not a big deal what you did. It wasn't the best, yes, but it wasn't bad. And also that you should talk to someone you trust about this need for feeling more sociable you have, like psychologist, per say.
I've been meaning to get some sort of therapy but haven't got around to it yet.

Thanks, man.

>>17406795
>It's not creepy. That person you added and your friend are probably just clinically insane.
Yeah, maybe. But I don't think so. The problem is that after writing up this post I remembered that, in the past, I've considered doing the exact same thing for somebody I know far, far less (I even thought about doing it today before the scenario I talked about above happened). Twice, for somebody I barely know (only online), did I consider contacting one of their Steam friends to ask if they're okay because I was really worried about them.

That *is* creepy. I fucking wish I was dead.

>>17406798
>Does sound creepy to me but it depends on how you communicate your concern to their other friend. Might have been taken up wrong.
I basically just asked if they knew if they were actually okay because I was worried.
>>
>>17406800
Sorry that was suppose to mean doesn't sound creepy.

What you asked sounds okay.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.