[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, question for anyone with some medical knowledge/experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1456442541213.gif (1024KB, 184x141px) Image search: [Google]
1456442541213.gif
1024KB, 184x141px
Hey /adv/, question for anyone with some medical knowledge/experience here, it could be serious. My brother is going through some sort of manic phase or something, I don't know what it is but he might be temporarily insane. He is has been researching online phenomenon like the Mandela effect and believes he is from a different timeline. He keeps asking me questions about how things are/were.

He came home the other day really energetic, more so then usual, and said he feels fine and has no pain in his body (he takes Vicodin and has arthritis in his hands, can't even bend them, he slipped a disc in the army in his spine and has constant back pain). He threw away all his pills, all his pain meds, and even stopped smoking right there on the spot.

He has been in a good mood and has a very low appetite, and even though he might be going crazy he has been open and honest about it. He calls it "the switch", says something happened in his brain and he feels different. He has no history of mental illness, and he is a really normal guy. What the hell is going on?
>>
Sounds like he had a memory lapse after taking drugs.

>the switch

He's trying to go sober
>>
>>17404353

Talk to him carefully and ask if he has taken drugs

Observe if he goes to sleep.

If he says no to the first and the second is a yes, call the psych bus and get him admitted.

Mania is serious fucking business, he could sell your house, give away your television, throw out your MLP figurine collection, any kind of wierd shit that makes sense in his senseless mind.

All your symptoms point to mania, but it could be drugs, most likely psychoactive and not stimulants,
>>
>>17404416
He only smokes marijuana and drinks, and he said he has had trouble sleeping. He hasn't done anything to crazy yet though, mostly the pills/smoking. He goes to work everyday and said people noticed changes but simply thought he was in a better mood. So far he is just hanging out in his room, watching TV and drinking.

>>17404359
Would a memory lapse cause something that serious though? I'm thinking it could be dementia, he has had it before but it went away years ago. He also had a brain injury in the Army, never said what it was or what happened.
>>
>>17404416
Not sure if important but I should also mention he stopped smoking and taking pills because he said they felt "toxic", like he felt disgusted looking at them today. He wants to be healthier all of a sudden and also wants to start running again, says he has a lot more injury because his back pain and arm pain went away (which is actually blowing my mind desu).
>>
>>17404454
>Injury
*energy
>>
>>17404442
>>17404454

Good you understood my point about sleep, I wrote it wrong, but you uderstood it was about insomnia.

Insomnia is a common side-effect when you stop using drugs
Insomnia is also a common side-effect from mania.

Dementia? Brain damage? Now we are in another ballstreet alltogether. Injuries to the brain can do all sorts of things to the mind, as fake psychological problems when in truth they are neurological.
Still cause for concern.
A brain tumour or something like that could also mask pain.

Hrmmmm... But so can mania, you are so pumped on the everything-is-going-great vibe that you can ignore your body. to a certain extent.

But the whole "feel-no-pain" thing seems really suspiciously like brain injury
>>
>>17404359
>>17404416
>>17404442
>>17404458
>>17404493
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Only correct answer, is get off of this Malaysian my little pony stuffy crocheting do it yourself board and call the mental health hotline you fucking dolt
>>
>>17404493
He went to sleep eventually, around 3 am, but he said it was difficult. Personally I think it might be the pain or irritation that is still there and he isn't seeing it or feeling it for some reason. Also to me everything seemed like Mania, but it just feels so weird to say that because he really is a normal guy, I think he might have adult ADHD but that's about it. He reminds me of Bill Murray. Hard to think of him going manic. To make this easy I'll list his symptoms.

>More energetic and confident
>Doesn't feel that much pain
>Better mood
>Low appetite
>Feels healthier and stopped taking pills/smoking
>Slight disconnect from reality (nothing to crazy), just lots of conspiracy stuff

That's about it.
>>
>>17404512
I don't want to do anything hasty yet, he still has a job and has to pay the bills. As crazy as I might be making him sound it really isn't anything to insane, he is just far more different then normal. He hasn't sold the house or attacked me yet, just the conspiracy stuff and dumping all his pills in the toilet/not feeling pain freaked me out.
>>
maybe he read a self help book or something

if you delegate this shit to "the authorities" you'll fuck up his life, guaranteed. don't do it just because it makes you uncomfortable when people try to change themselves.
>>
>>17404531
If he starts acting in harmful ways as mentioned previously, I would call and petition him for treatment. This might include:

Staying awake without feeling the need for sleep for 4-7 days.
Feeling a great deal of energy
Bring highly distractible
Being extremely irriitable, irresponsible, erratic in behavior. Like the anon said, buying new cars, houses, running the finances up.
Grandiose plans, like he must reach the President with information, is God, etc.
Talking at extremely rapid rate, as ifbthere is unending stream.

I hear you don't want yo hurt him if you call a number. But if there is no problem, no harm done to his health. If there is a problem, he can get the right treatment sooner, and be able to work on his goals better.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.