[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First trip in another country, anxiety is a bitch, how do i survive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I'll go to Berlin the 3th of August and i'll stay 5 days, this is my first trip ever to a foreign country. I'll go with a very close friend of mine (so i feel reassured a bit) and a friend of his i don't even know (and this already makes me a bit anxious).
I'm 22 and always had anxiety, but thanks to therapy i fixed 90% of my life and had lots of success, both socially and personally speaking. I did like the idea of traveling a LOT, but alas, my irrational fears made me deprive myself of many things i liked, but were too scared to try. However, only today i had the balls to accept a trip with a friend, and anxiety is coming back at full force. I realize i don't have to run away like a bitch, since it's a thing i actually desire and even another step in my personal progress, but i simply don't want to deal with this damned anxiety for almost a week. I'm pretty sure once i'm at the airport, i'll feel confident and sure of myself, as happened for many "first things" i tried, but before then i'll be miserable, and i simply don't want to feel like shit for nothing.

So yeah, sorry if i've been confusing, but i'd just like to have tips about how to feel "safe" or simply not terribly anxious before the trip (some anxiety will be normal, but not as much as i'm experiencing right now). If you need to know anything else, just ask away.
>>
bumper
>>
Bumping again
>>
Do as much as you can to prep beforehand, and then distract yourself as much as you can. If you feel anxiety coming, do controlled breathing. Five beat inhale, hold for two beats, seven beat exhale. Slow, with the exhale always longer than the inhale. When you feel yourself calming down, move on to something else.
>>
>>17399504
You know, this actually helps a lot, thanks man.
And if anxiety after a while comes back, i just breathe like so once more right?
>>
I had the same problem as you last year. I was so afraid that once I got to Europe I was gonna be struck with culture shock and pass out. Once you get there you'll realize that you feel pretty normal, if that makes any sense. Berlin is a cool city and most people speak English there, you will be fine.
>>
>>17399880
Thanks for the input man, i appreciate it.
I was anxious also about interacting with germans, but maybe you are right, it'll be more normal than i think.

However, i'm also anxious about the fact i'll have to share a HUGE experience for me with a person i don't even know, and while i'm actually pretty good at socializing now, i'm afraid i won't make a good impression living together in a room for 5 days. Any tips regarding this matter?
>>
>>17399887
If you don't make a good impression that's fine, chances are you won't see them again. Just go out and explore, see all of the touristy shit, get drunk on cheap german beer. Worry about how you feel, not how they feel.
>>
>>17399858
Yeah, the breathing thing always helps when you're having an anxiety or panic attack. Even if you can't manage the length of the breaths at first, keep actively trying to slow your breathing down and keep the exhale longer than the inhale.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.