[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My parents are threatening to disown me until I "grow up".

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Forearms 1.png (612KB, 500x588px) Image search: [Google]
Forearms 1.png
612KB, 500x588px
My parents are threatening to disown me until I "grow up".

I've always been the black sheep. They're hyper-competitive, I'm not. They enjoy hunting, I don't. Work's their life and I've been on an extended vacation since '08. You get the idea.

So the short and tall of it is that I dropped out and entered the work force as soon as I possibly could. I saved every penny, moved out on my eighteenth and bought some land and what would nowadays be called a tiny house.

Ever since then I've devoted most of my life to my interests, hobbies, and friends. I play music, travel, do charity work, whatever. They've always disapproved, partially due to religion and partially due to them being generally manipulative people.

I didn’t exactly grow into their expectations, either. I haven’t had kids, I haven’t married, and I haven’t exactly climbed the social ladder. I make art for a living which hasn’t exactly rubbed well with them.

They gave me an ultimatum for my birthday. Either I "grow up" or they'll never speak to me again. They've managed to corral a good chunk of my family against me as well. I'll admit that I don't particularly like the vast majority of them but it still hurts.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. My life is wonderful, but I don't want to lose my family either.
>>
From the way you've put it it sounds like you're better off without them.
>>
>I've been on an extended vacation since '08
>>
A family who disowns you for being happy and yourself is not happy. Close friends would probably be family to you at this point.
In other words, having the same blood doesn't mean they are family.
>>
>>17399301
>having the same blood doesn't mean they are family.
This is something I wish I had known much earlier.

If you're family doesn't want you to pursue what you want in life and be happy, then fuck them. Your family is supposed to support you in whatever endeavor you decide to do. Just because you don't meet up to their expectation doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you or you should have to change, or should even feel bad.

>>17399286
>From the way you've put it it sounds like you're better off without them.

Assuming you are financially stable and you're as happy as you claim you are, keep on keeping on and let them disown you.
>>
>>17399286
This. Op, they are manipulative and if you stop doing what you love, and start to listen to them and truly to reach their expectations one day you will wake up and find out you hate yourself.

Me, I dropped school, engaged French Legion and now I am thinking of buying a yacht and motocycles for me and my friend and in few months/years travel the world like never before.
>>
>>17399271
They are scum. Cut them off before they cut you off. Beat them to the punch to make it hurt. Turn on the tables on them and make them realize that you are dropping them. Not the other way around.
>>
>>17399271
How are they going to "disown" you? Sounds like you're well off enough that you haven't needed them at all for a long time.

Tell them they can do whatever they want. They're just trying to grasp onto whatever they can to control you for as long as possible.
>>
>>17399271
Assuming that you're taking care of yourself and not taking support from your family, is this going to change anything for you? I imagine you don't really talk to your family too much if they're so critical of how you're choosing to lead your life.

What they're letting you know though is that you're losing any backup in case you have a problem. So you may wish to think about what you'd do and how you'd survive in the event of a disaster of any type (house burns down, you become ill for an extended period, whatever) and if you don't have a lot of resources as a backup, it'd be a good idea to try to build up a financial cushion.

Aside from that, fuck them. That's just more shitty, manipulative behavior from what sound like shitty, manipulative people. I would just tell them "fine, you're dead to me" and enjoy the peace you get from cutting them out of your life.
>>
>>17399271
>my life is wonderful
>cunt parents telling me to grow up
>what do

Nigger you already know what do.
>>
they reject your identity
fuck them
>>
>>17399271
You have a job and your own house. How much more grown up can you get? Tell em to fuck off
>>
>>17399271
Man I want a life like yours.

Fuck them OP, just because somebody birthed you doesn't mean they own you.
>>
>>17399271
kek, how is that even a problem, why would you care. I had such ultimatum coming at me till they realized that I wouldnt take any heritage whatever it is, I even took my wife's name.

tldr: fuck them
>>
>>17399271
tell them to fuck off, they sound like terrible parents. If they actually stop talking to you, are you sure they ever loved you? Not to sound like i want to break your family, but really, thats not how a loving family should react.
>>
>>17399271
Unless they're paying your nud, nobody's got any right to tell anyone else how to make a living.
>>
>>17399271
I'm sorry to hear that you're hurting. You paint a lovely picture of independence and happiness, OP. More power to you.

But I come away from your post thinking that the picture isn't complete. There's an important piece missing: your parents' motive. What's going through their heads? I know what you said -"religion" and "manipulation"- but that's too vague to be compelling. They want something, and they think this might get it for them. What do they want? Why do they think this will work? How did they convince a big chunk of your family to take their side?

I'm not saying their reasons are good. I don't have enough information to feel comfortable making that judgment. But whether or not they're any good, it would still be useful to know what they are.
>>
>>17399271
My mother disowned me about seven times in my life. She never really understood the concept, since it was disowning me (or attempting to control me) and then contacting myself again down the line for more things. It ended when I finally decided to disown her and now I have 79 voicemails from her that are still unheard on my phone. Shes even driven cross country and gone to my former employers looking for me.

Ultimatums are harsh and when one is given you'll should expect more down the line. While they may believe they have your best interest at heart, it might be best for you to distance yourself from them by yourself.

You'll either both start to value that relationship more or find yourselves better off apart.
>>
>>17399271
Emotional blackmail, what a charming way to communicate. OP, you deserve better. If you can support yourself and you are happy, that is all that matters.

Although don't shut out the possibility of relationships/marriage and all that, if you could handle it financially, having a family of your own would more than make up for the rejection of the second rate jerks that are trying to hurt you now. Be a better example than they have been.
>>
>>17399271
u didnt say how old u are so it sounds like you want support for being a lazy fuck i pass
>>
you owe your life to your family

to me it sounds like you're some lazy bum who doesn't want to study or work

by work I mean real paid work and not some charity bullshit that only remedies situations and never prevents them or comes even close to resolving anything, stroking your ego just for the fuck of it and status/ ego
>>
>>17399271
Try to soften the blow with better news.

At least you're not gay.
At least you didn't have kids while unmarried.
At least you're not black.
At least you're not Anthony Burch.
>>
>>17399271

First, OP, I applaud your motivation, drive, and uncompromising sacrifice to do what the fuck you want to do with life.

Half of the posts on here are people who we advise to have the strength to do what you do.

Second, as many have said - tell them to go fuck themselves. Anyone who doesn't want to talk to you isn't worth your time.

You're doing what you want and none of it seems bad. Fuck them. Do you, man.
>>
>>17400953
what an opinion :p
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.