[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am thinking of converting to christianity but I have a weird

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1468681621137.png (58KB, 510x448px) Image search: [Google]
1468681621137.png
58KB, 510x448px
I am thinking of converting to christianity but I have a weird interpretation of it that doesn't seem to fit with any of the denominations I've been reading about.
Who can I talk to about this? I can't go to a church/priest/pastor and even if I did they're always biased towards their own church and denomination so I can't get any straight answers
>>
>>17398670

What are your beliefs?
>>
>>17398670
>I have a weird interpretation of it
Post so we can la- I mean, advise you on the matter.
>>
I guess I think of the religion very symbolically. Like I think Jesus was a human who was close to God but I don't think he was literally God's son, and I don't think he himself is God either. And I don't think Mary was literally a virgin but I understand why people would want to distance Jesus' birth from normal biological processes to isolate him as a Holy being. I think his sacrifice for our sins was not a literal absolution for mankind but more of a testament to the purity of his willingness to do such a thing for humanity, which speaks towards our capabilities as people to try to do what we can to help each other. I think there is a lot of value in his teachings that have been bastardized by the corruption of organized religion but since I still more or less believe in Him and the same God I feel like christianity is still relevant to my interests.
Baptism and communion are all symbolic to me and I don't take anything in the bible literally either and I haven't read enough of it yet to know which gospels I believe in
Basically I see the religion as a guiding light rather than a doctrine I guess.
I suppose I'm a heretic but it's what feels right to me
>>
>>17398719
And why do you need to name your believes and join a church? Your views will change. I also think that jesus was just some guy that wandered around. He might have been nuts, but he was empathic, charismatic and had a good heart. Which might have been a rare thing in that day and age (see the old testament, people killed others like it's nothing). So he stood out and had a squad. Basically he was some kind of hippie chad that like to discuss philosophical stuff. His bro's decided to write down their adventures with him because they had no fb and insta to brag about being in jesu's squad. Then some imbeciles decided a lot later that those adventures are now holy and that jesus was god's son. I do think that there's tiny bit of things you can learn from christianity and the bible. But it's basically just "don't be an asshole". There are far more elaborated sources for self improvement than the bible.
>>
>>17398755
I think the thing about religion is it makes you feel like you are part of something and have a community
>>
Just start visiting nearby churches. Pick a new one each Sunday until you find one that feels like a good fit. Your beliefs don't have to align 100% with official dogma.
>>
Have you looked into Congregationalism? You sound like you might fit in well there.
>>
>>17398873
What makes you say that? It sounds so SJW-y
>>
>>17398719
Why do you believe this? Where did you get this from?
>>
>>17398719
You will make a good jehovah witness with those beliefs
>>
Damn OP. Recently did the exact same thing. I believe in God and I'm trying to actively build a relationship with him but I have a hard time wanting to follow books written by men, claiming they're the word of God.
>>
>>17399777
>dubs and trips witnessed

Not OP. Some cute Jehovah's Witnesses came to my house earlier today handing out flyers in the neighborhood for some event going on later. Are these events bad places to pick up dudes?
>>
Why don't you make your own religion/church
>with blackjack and hookers
>>
>>17399798
For the most part, yes - if you are a member, everyone will occupied with ceremony and learning about jehovah and if you are not a member everyone else will be leary of you
>>
>>17399777
>You will make a good jehovah witness with those beliefs
I'm not so sure about that. They've got some common ground as to not believing in the Trinity, and they seem to agree with the idea of the Apostles as a roving band of comic-relief characters, but they've still got some serious differences on the nature of Christ: they could both be called heretics, but the actual heresies are different. OP also seems to go way further on the "take nothing literally" scale: The Witnesses are not literalists by any stretch of the imagination, but they seem to be more comfortable taking some things literally than OP is.

>>17399510
Congregationalists are big on the idea that every interpretation of Christianity holds some level of truth (other faiths, not so much; this is one of the key differences between them and Unitarian Universalists). They do lean pretty heavily liberal, it's true. But you won't find a faith more deficated to personal interpretation of the Bible. It doesn't fit OP like a glove, but it would fit.
>>
I don't feel like answering this. The bible is worthless when you die, it should help you here. Catholics and other denominations make rules based on the bible but you don't need to worry since they lost the power to condemn heretics. Your religion doesn't matter if it doesn't make a change in you, a few people are naturally fine without religion but it could help bad people. Atheists and other likeminded people are wrong because they look at the bible for proof instead of what it's for so they get nothing from it, the bible even says that it hides itself from "scholars" and reveals itself to "small children" which atheists are too prideful, witty and intelligent to figure out.

I'm not going to waste more time on this stupid subject. The best answer is not even pressing "I'm not a robot", solving the puzzle, and pressing "Post" and waiting for it to say "100%" for a while until it disappears and I press "Catalog" or exit this tab altogether.
>>
>>17399891
I still want replies to this btw, since I took the time to write this for someone. Normally I indulge in the sin of sloth.
>>
You sound like you're more spiritual than religious, so don't even waste your time going to church. If you want to build a better relationship with God, you can do that in your room every night.
>>
>>17399917
The fuck kind of response do you want to a post about not wanting to post.
Here's your (You).
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.