[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a career that will allow me to live in remote places and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1460678238058.jpg (21KB, 399x295px) Image search: [Google]
1460678238058.jpg
21KB, 399x295px
I want a career that will allow me to live in remote places and change locations often. Something that can be done entirely online. I've been looking into technical writing, web development, freelance coding, etc. I have all options open. I can go to college (trade school), university, teach myself, whatever.
What's a good option for me? Web development seems like the ideal, but I'm not sure where to start as all the courses at college seem to require previous experience? Should I try to teach myself how to code? Or can I take some sort of beginner class? would a degree in comp sci at university be the best course? I'd like to avoid university if possible.
>>
your question is a joke. any web designer who makes enough money to live off of is too solidly booked, and location actually fucking matters cuz despite designing websites you actually need to meet with clients and advertise to them.
>>
>>17395627
It's that bad, then? I don't mind establishing a reputation first as I currently live in a pretty big city. I'd be open to other jobs too. I figured with skype and word of mouth etc I could get by but if not that's fine.
>>
>>17395610
I'm just going to be blunt.

This is not going to happen for you.You don't have any skills, experience, or education to warrant working remote. Don't attempt to start something yourself. It will fail.
>>
>>17395627
>location actually fucking matters cuz despite designing websites you actually need to meet with clients and advertise to them.
This guy is spot on OP. I run a small business, and I'll always use local people unless there's no other option. A lot of firms are like this, simply because the little guys all need to support each other. I'd be very reluctant to do anything that'd cost more than about £250 without physically meeting someone first unless it was with a well known national company, partly through courtesy and partly to reassure myself I'm not about to get scammed.

Also, If I had a project that could be done 100% online with no face to face interaction at all then instead of paying a westerner to fund their lifestyle of luxury I'd find myself a guy in India with multiple PHD's who thinks £3 for 18 hours work is good money and have him do it.
>>
>>17395763
Oh yeah, I totally forgot that. Why pay some dude in Chicago 250 bucks when you can pay some dude who would be happy to do it for 20 bucks if both are remote?
>>
So are there no options or alternatives or middle grounds that would allow me to live away from the city?
>>
>>17395763

>I'd find myself a guy in India with multiple PHD's who thinks £3 for 18 hours work is good money and have him do it.

. . .and then you'd hire me six months later when your code is hacked to all hell and your clients are suing you.

You have never actually hired an Indian code monkey, have you?

OP, this guy is about 10 years behind. The industry has finally started to see the cost of shitty code and has now swung back to COTS.
>>
>>17395610
It's possible, but keep in mind- moving frequently and being more remote, are inconveniencing your clients, so you better have the reputation and skills to make up for that. I suggest you built up your profile and imagine first as part of a firm, then trying to be the local freelancer who is always in one place, before you think of whether you're popular enough in the scene to be a freelancing wanderer
>>
Step 1: Naturalize yourself as a Brazilian

Step 2A: Get a job as a Civil Engineer at Camargo Corrêa(www.camargocorrea.com.br) and work with infrastucture(like airports and hydroeletrics powerplants).

Step 2B: Enlist yourself in the army, change place at every 6 months.

Try it faggot!
>>
>>17395918
Yeah, I obviously wasn't expecting to make my name in the woods in the middle of nowhere. I don't mind "doing my time" so to speak, but I was hoping if I did good work and was personable and had a good portfolio and testimonials and experience it could work. I realize this isn't an "instant" thing. I just want to know where to start, at this point, as I'm pretty "fresh", so to speak.

>>17395920
Uh I'll pass. It's mostly about wanting the freedom to make my own choices and be comfortable in my work place (have a dog, a desktop aquarium, start work later than 9 am on the dot, etc). I may just stay in the same place if I like it. I don't just want to go where ever I'm told. in the same place if I like it. I don't just want to go where ever I'm told.

Also if I want to have children and have a partner that needs to relocate I want to be able to do that and still bring in a bit of supplementary income. But in the mean time it'd be to support myself. Even just working for someone until I need to, but having the option to freelance for extra income (not a living wage).
>>
>>17395920
Have something similar:

1. Naturalize yourself as Columbian.
2. Become a drug mule.
3. Travel the world!!!!
4. ????
5. PROFIT
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.